“Still Good Value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #614 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Lymington, United Kingdom
“Still Good Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

As frequent visitors to this hotel given our very competitive room rate I have been unable to fault the place. I have found the staff helpful and polite and despite our very early arrivals our rooms has always been available. The room this time was a bit on the small side but more than adequate for our needs and along with the bathroom was immaculately clean. If they can do me the same rate again in October I will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Chris J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I had read the review prior to booking my trip so was expecting a very small room with no air or heat. The room was actually a very good size for Europe, with a big area for bed, a sitting room and a fairly big bathroon. The windows in the room and bathroom opened partially for fresh air and we did have heat and aircon. The room was a little old and dated but for the price we paid I think a great deal.This was my first time to London and found this a great location. It is literally one bock from the Underground station and very easy to get to. There is a restaurant in the hotel as well as several next door. There is also a coffee shop there for quick coffee and snack. The front desk people were very helpful and accomodating as well as the Bellmen and Concierge. My only negative is that Wifi was not included. 10 pounds a day for Wifi. I went to Stonehenge and Wifi was free there but not my hotel. That was an added expense as I needed to connect daily so was somewhat disappointing.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
3 Thank sheritin
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

There are a lot of negative reviews about this hotel on trip advisor - jyst come back from 2 night stay - yes rooms are small but hiw many people stay in London to spend time in thrir room, our toom was really clean; towels are not the best but when we asked for more we got them; lifts are slow - could do with more - but we were only on third floor so stairs a good option; concierge will keep bags if you arrive early or want to go out and about after checking out - all staff we came across were friendly and willing to help (unlike some guests); breakfast was included in our deal - good menu although the first morning was manic as they had a large number of coach parties to get in; excellent location apart from tube to get there on first day we were able to walk to everywhere we wanted to go. We would have expected free wi-fi in this day and age but enough places close by if desperate (but could be a deal breaker if on a business trip) - Is it a top class hotel - no but our experience was in no way as bad as many of the other reviews on here and we certainly would not dismiss the idea of staying there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 631SuW
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is the second time I have stayed here. The location is great for Oxford St/Covent Garden etc We were able to check in early at no extra cost. It is a very busy hotel but you are in Central London! Breakfast was included and said it was continental, but on arrival to the breakfast room, there was a full buffet inc full English.
Would recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed there 1 night while on a business trip. The hotel is indeed very well located. It is on the red/central line, 1 block from Oxford Str. and very close to Soho.
The room (single) was the smallest I've ever seen, while the bed was uncomfortable. The bathroom had a bad smell, I kept all night the door closed in an effort to limit the smell to the bathroom. It was also quite noisy, I woke up a several times from noise coming mainly from the street (even though staying at the 6th floor) and sometimes from the other rooms. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Mykonos, Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!

1. Room we stayed in was tiny without AC, I asked to change and was told it was an extra $80pounds per night to change our room. The manager at the front desk told me I had a fan and to use that. Considering the room is like a sauna, it was basically useless. the only option was to leave the window open to try to get some fresh air circulating. that came at the expense of the noise that carries up the building from outside. We stayed on the 9th floor and had the pleasure of being woken by the people leaving the casino....Bring on the restless nights...just what you are after when you have traveled for over 30hrs.
2. Agree with other comments about the lifts, so slow..we ended up taking the stairs on a few occasions.
3. Rude staff, the girls greeting you at the breakfast room look like they where bored to death and couldn't be bothered. The concierge I dealt with was rude and didn't even look at me when I was asking for help, he just dialled a number and handed me the phone.
4. Our room was serviced and we where only given one towel, there were two of us staying in the room. I asked at reception for another towel to be put in the room while I used the gym. I was gone for a good hour and came back to find no towel. Even getting a towel was a hassle frm this mob. And on the subject of the towels, they are the thinnest well worn towels.
5. On our last night, after a long day of sightseeing, we arrived back to the hotel to find the carpet in the door way soaking wet, the room smelt mouldy and damp. We went out again to dinner and I was going to ask someone to come to the room to look at it on our return. So imagine my surprise to find we had been locked out of our room as the hotel 'system' showed we should have checked out. After a very lengthy decision with the girl at the front desk who then got her manager, we were escorted back to our room so I could get my travel documents to prove we had in fact paid for 6 nights and that their system was incorrect.
The way this was handled was disappointing, the discussion went around in circles because I was not applied up to the room to get my documents, they keep insisting their system was correct.
The time taken to resolve this was a joke.
Once the manager saw my documents and the wet carpet he was a little more accommodating and very apologetic. He did offer to upgrade us to another room, but by this time it was 11.30pm and I was not packing up and moving when I was due to check out the next morning. The manager did give us a voucher to use for breakfast at the VQ lounge, however, given the treatment and the time it took to fix the room lockout, the attitude of the staff, the overall negative experience, it was a bit of a token justice.

Room Tip: Best tip I can give...stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1414hollyruby
Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

The location is good, close to Tottenham Court Road, Oxford street, Covent Garden and Soho. That´s about it.

This time I had a double room and didn´t have to repeat the terrible experience I had several years ago with a single room about the size of a prison cell! This double room reminded me of a hotel room from 1950-60, possibly -70. The room was hot but I couldn´t open the window more than a couple of inches. No aircondition but a big table fan hidden in a cupboard, wall-to-wall carpet which of course had its stains. Old bed, too short for me (188 cm). No fridge/minibar. No wifi in room unless you were prepared to pay GBP 10 a day, come on, this is 2014! Strange gap between the floor and the door = you hear everything from the hall outside the room. I was lucky enough to have a room on the second floor and didn´t have to rely on the elevators - too little capacity for this hotel. Breakfast not too exciting but not bad either, just lack of fantasy. The problem is the capacity of the breakfast room - very often a long line to get your food. I know this is London - an expensive city, but I can´t help comparing this hotel with the one I visited in Berlin, paying about 60% of the price of St Giles you had a four star hotel with a terrific breakfast and a quiet, comfortable room...

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Tottenham Court Road, rather Bedford Avenue because of the traffic.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business