“Shocking experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #562 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Shocking experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I booked this hotel and received an email confirmation. When I arrived I was told my reservation had been cancelled despite the fact I had not been notified beforehand. It subsequently turned out they had mistakenly recorded my credit card details. But they made every effort to rectify their mistake. Even though the room I had booked was no longer available I was generously offered the only room available.......if I paid another £100 in addition to the £140 already billed for one night's stay. I made my excuses and left.

The most annoying thing about the whole experience was the complete lack of concern by the staff. The Manager (not on site) was repeatedly telephoned by staff but was "not available".

Horrible hotel which styles itself as a "boutique hotel" in a horrible area of town.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Huw W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Finnish first
Torquay, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

This should have been a special occasion -turned into a mini nightmare

This is not a boutique hotel
Small does not equal boutique !

Arrived and had booked the Solarium

This is not in the main block but next door

My wife came out of the room in tears!

Room consists of twin beds fit for children

Shower and toilet -everything is miniature

No special touches unless you count 1apple on plate

Registered disappointment with receptionist who had little compassion -no other room available

We stayed and endured

Car parking is very difficult as the neighbourhood is 90 % residential

Overall -having read rave reviews I would not go back

Nothing sums up this hotel other than a big disappointment !

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Tylerdo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I booked this hotel because of its good location and relatively small price. I paid £100 for 1 night (not too bad for London prices) and had a pleasant stay. The hotel is located within 5 minutes walking distance of Earls Court station in pretty much a straight line. I went in my car and although the reservation said parking must be pre-booked (which I totally misread), the staff were very good and still managed to book it in (at a cost of £30). My room (The Mezzanine suite) was actually located in the building next door from reception which was strange but no inconvenience at all. The room was totally unique to anything I have stayed in before, it had two floors with the bathroom and landing area located on the ground floor and the bed on the first floor. The ceiling height upstairs is very low so mind your head, but very cosy and comfortable. There is a small cove area with pillows which was different and romantic, a nice touch to have. The room had a very good HDTV and felt warm and cosy. There are a few negatives to the room however, firstly you could hear the stair area outside and people walking or using the shower upstairs. This was a mild annoyance and did not particularly bother us though. The other disappointment was the shower. It was extremely hard to control the temperature and if anybody else in the building was using their shower the water pressure was next to nothing. This is the main improvement that I would recommend the hotel to make. All in all I had a very comfortable stay and it was nice to see somewhere that didn't conform to the usual norms of boring corporate hotels. The day of check out, I misread my paperwork (again) and thought check out was 1200. However, it turned out that it was actually 1100. The hotel were very sympathetic with this though and I was not charged extra for late checkout. I found this to be a nice touch that most hotels would ignore. Obviously I could understand this not happening during peak periods however. The staff here were very friendly and an unusual extra was having breakfast included in the room price. I overslept and missed breakfast but would have liked to see the quality. I would definitely stay here again, a few improvements and this hotel could be fantastic!

Room Tip: Any of the suites are apparently very nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt H
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Great location, easy to find, boutique hotel I have always wanted the opportunity to visit just near Earls Court.. Booked a last minute night away and treated myself to the four poster.

The 'small private staircase' turns out to be a noisy lift that exits by your room however there seemed to be only one other room on the lower ground (or basement) so shouldn't be too busy... Beautiful room, bed, furnishings, bathroom with lovely hot shower took a few pictures as I was so impressed. Unfortunately after the good comes the not so good...

1) Temperamental handle on the toilet meant it was running after being flushed, nice helpful man popped down and sorted that effectively.
2) It got a bit chilly and as the heating is apparently centrally controlled I asked reception to turn it up. This wasn't centrally controlled as the aforementioned helpful man knocks on my door and I jump out of bed and get dressed appropriately. He checks out the radiators and pops next door (yes the utility closet is next door to your lovely four poster bed along with the washing machine/dryer which they will run during the night..its practically like being at home except... you're not. You are in a luxury boutique hotel..). After another 10 minutes of doing his best he leaves to find another solution which turns out to be a mini electric radiator, which apparently are in use throughout the hotel because they changed the heating system a few days ago and its not been working properly since. Nice to know. I'm not fussy, I have some heating that's all that matters.
3) Check out is at 11am, great! Housekeeping wake you up at 07:30, not so great! Being on the lower ground floor (basement) their storage rooms are a couple of doors away from you and with no carpets in the corridors..the noise echoes. Fine, I can go back to sleep but unfortunately the industrious housekeeping wakes me up again at 08:00 which I discover because I walk into the corridor in my dressing gown to investigate. Now I'm awake, I call reception to explain what's happened aka housekeeping being too noisy and are there any other residents affected as I will be checking out. Ten minutes later I'm dropping my key card off and remind the chap on reception as to my complaint and he gives a non committal response asking if I will be having breakfast before answering his ringing phone.

Would I go again? Yes, the staff were overall friendly and helpful and I would hope I have a different more relaxing experience just make sure you don't get the luxurious rooms on the lower ground floor.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the lower ground floor if you need a good sleep.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I have stayed for a 3 day business trip and it worked well for me. The room was very small, but designed with love for detail. I wouldn't want to stay in that particular room with 2 people, but on my own it was absolutely sufficient. The size of the room was also reflected in the rate.
The only drawback was the shower- there was just about enough water to wash hair and it could have done with some descaling. Can't remember the last time I had such a poor shower in a hotel.
Breakfast was lovely: fresh fruit salad, joghurt, cheese/meat and they freshly bake croissants and rolls in a little grill.
I would have happily given the hotel 5 stars if it weren't for that shower...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We booked this hotel for a three day business trip to Earls Court,and as such it was very successful. The hotel is a short walk from Earls Court and could not really be any handier.
Overall the hotel is bright and pleasant with friendly and helpful staff.The rooms were clean and well presented,the breakfast was standard buffet fare but all fine and fresh.

One word of warning,my room was fine but our partners were in the Solarium which was very, very small.Like us overall they were happy with the hotel but felt the room was small even by London standards.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Solarium,it is too small.If you are tall you cannot sit in the loo and close the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Worthing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here whilst visiting Earls Court. Fantastic location, quiet square only three mins walk away from Exhibition centre and tube station.
Room small but usual for London but shower fine, bed comfortable and free wi fi and safe. Just ask and in mins any tea/coffee brought to your room and the continental breakfast was first class with lovely fresh croissants.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the left luggage facility was free and excellent.
All in all, for the price in London couldn't fault and would happily use again. Had an excellent meal in La Pappardelle round the corner in Brompton Road, very busy and friendly too.