“My 3rd stay not to sure about a 4th”

The Milestone Hotel
Ranked #2 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cardiff wales
“My 3rd stay not to sure about a 4th”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

My friend and myself stayed here for 2 nights and although I love this hotel I think there were little things that let it down.

On arrival our room wasn't quite ready and we were offered a glass of champagne while we waited which was a lovely touch. We sat in the bar area chatting to Markus who is lovely.

Our room was ready in about 10mins so up went to room 203 which was lovely, in fact so nice we spent most of our time there.

On checking our fruit platter they gave us the wrong fruit. Not a big problem but that have never happened before.
We went down to have a pre dinner drink and the canapes that have been served in previous years have gone downhill. One bread stick between us and the tiny toasted sanwiches were quite greasy also we had nearly finished our drinks before they had arrived.
In to the dining room we go. We had a table booked for 7.30 and got in there about 7.20 waited a while before someone came out to us and we went ahead and both ordered the Kobe steak. After sitting at the table for 15 mins the waiter came and said sorry but there is no Kobe steak left. Now this is a 5star restaurant and we were the first diners in there.
We opted then for the duck and a fillet steak which was just OK. We also had to wait an hour for this to be deivered to the table and that was after the manager phoned the kitchen to see where our food was. On getting the bill we had been charged for the 2 Kobe steaks which was soon taken off our bill but that is not the point.
Other little things for example they have 3 different kindsof salt on the table which in previous years have been explained to diners not this time though.It these little things that matter.
We then opted for breakfast in the room on both mornings and you will have a glass of complimentary champagne if you take that option. Both morning I had to ask for it also on the 2nd morning I had items on my plate which I hadnt ordered and items that I had ordered not on there.
When I mentioned any of the above things they were dealt with straight away.
I would not use the restaurant again and I think food and beverages need to be addressed.
Apart from that Front of House staff were lovely Teddy was really nice and the doorman on duty excellent. How do they remember your names?:)
I am glad this wasnt my first time as I know it could be better and little things like this will take it from the top rated hotel on here which is a shame as I do love it.

Room Tip: I am sure any room would be lovely
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your most recent stay with us. As a guest who has enjoyed their previous stays with us, the points that you kindly raise are of particular concern as we realise that you have a right to expect consistency from us in all areas of your stay. You were kind enough o mention that you enjoyed the service of our Front of House team and I will most definitely be passing your kind words onto Teddy.
We make a point of checking our guest preferences and it's very rare for us not to be able to supply a specific preference for our fruit selection but we should have made you aware of this and checked for an acceptable alternative. I'm exremely concerned that you found our bar canapes not as good as you remember previously as the selection and quality should most definitely have been the same. Please rest assured that this is being followed up. Our restaurant is open from 5.30pm each evening for pre-theatre dining and we do find that our Kobe steaks are very popular and it may be that we might have sold out but this most definitely should have been explained when the menus were presented. I am so sorry to hear that you had so long to wait for your dinner as I can't see any reason why there should have been any delay and I appreciate that for the bill to then be presented wrong this would have been cause for much frustration.
Whilst only a small part of our service journey the explanation of our salts and breads we do take seriously and this level of detail is something that we do usually get right as I have the pleasure to read many positive comments about just these details that our guests enjoy.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you had to ask for Champagne and that there were items worng with your hot breakfast. Although you were kind enough to mention that each issue was dealt with immediately these points clearly should have been correct to start with.
As a valued guest who has experienced very different service from us previously I would like to respond to you privately as well to enable me to demonstrate that we are as committed to our product and service today as we have always been and we will most definitely demonstrate this on what we hope will be your 4th stay with us.
Kind regards Andrew Pike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

Nothing is finer than returning to The Milestone- especially during the festive season when it looks especially lovely. My husband and I just took a vacation to Italy and we passed through London on both ends of the trip. We stayed at the Milestone for a total of 5 nights and every night was superb. No matter which suite you get, you will be thrilled. They are all lovely and unique. I'm quite convinced that the staff is the best in London (if not the world). If I sound like I'm a little over the top about this hotel, it is because I am. It is that good. We also had dinner on two different nights at the hotel restaurant-- Chenestons. It is also lovely and the food is a real treat. The location across the street from Kensington Palace is my favorite spot in London. I can't wait to go back.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jerry C
Stamford, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2012

Our overall experience at this hotel was positive and I would recommend it to anyone, particularly those interested in the Kensington area, but they do have some opportunities for improvement. The pros include: decor and overall charm, quality of linens and toiletries, excellent tea, location in Kensington. Unfortunately the concierge was less than helpful. I asked for some inside information on visiting Westminster Abbey and was quoted the hours of operation. The breakfast was average. Although lovely our deluxe king room was quite compact with a very small window; however, the bathroom was large. I was irritated because there was a planned disruption to the tube lines that service the hotel as well as a protest near the hotel on the Saturday that we were there. Most hotels of any level advise their guests and help with alternate routes. No such notification was given and we had to change our plans for the day at the last minute. When I provided this feedback to the (same) concierge, the return response was a blank stare. We enjoyed our stay but were disappointed, particularly given that it is a luxury hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ats54
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your invaluable feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed the overall feel of the Milestone as well as the quality of our products and I'm delighted that you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea.
I am most concerned to read that you were disappointed with the quality of information supplied by our concierge as I appreciate how important this is. I do know that we made a point of placing a letter in every occupied room to forwarn about possible disruption to travel from the recent protests and that we would be delighted to help any of our guests with planning their journeys around this. Please accept my apologies that you felt that we could have done more here and I will certainly follow this up with my team.
Kind regards Andrew Pike
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

Afternoon tea is such an elegant way of spending your (rainy) afternoon, especially when done in such a lovely decor as in the Milestone. We'd made reservations well in advance and requested to be seated near the fireplace. We did get these seats and it is lovely, though quite warm. Make sure you have something to take off if you request these seats. Next time, I'd ask to be seated under the 'Wimbledon painting'. You'll have to be in a group of four. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the three o'clock session ran late (the hotel has three 'rounds', each two hours). We were called in advance by the hotel informing us of this. They were very apologetic and I think they handled it superb. Staff was very friendly, service was excellent. Food was good. All in all a delightful and recommendable afternoon.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stalex24
I was really happy to read your feedback regarding your afternoon tea with us. Also many thanks for your patience with being slightly delayed as there were unforseen road closures that day so I was pleased that you made it to us and that you enjoyed your afternoon tea experience.
I do hope that you visit us once again and I have passed on your kind words to the team.
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel on Wednesday 31st October for one night. Firstly I have to say that usually when I book a hotel it never lives up to the expectation that I imagine, I have to say with this hotel it was exactly as I imagined and more. We were greeted on arrival by Fran one of the butlers who kindly offered to show us around the hotel, the Victorian lounge was beautiful where the afternoon teas are served, the restaurant and bars were all so lovely and very impressive, creating a fine but cosy atmosphere. On arrival to our room we found we had been upgraded to a deluxe room which was lovely, as it was our wedding anniversary and this made it all very special. We booked this hotel as we were visiting the Royal Albert Hall to see Diana Krall, and I have to say this hotel is in the perfect location, about seven minutes walk straight from the front of the hotel. After returning from our night out we found that Fran had scattered rose petals all around our room, lit floating candles everywhere, had some lovely romantic music playing and had put chocolates and strawberries and anniversary cards in our room. It was beautiful, I have to say this is the best hotel we have ever stayed in, and it even exceeds Far East hotels. The following morning we went down for our breakfast in the beautiful dining room where we were welcomed by Grant who recommended the Eggs Benedict, and I have to say again the best I have ever tasted and nothing at all was too much trouble I felt like I had stepped back in time a hundred years. On departure we were chatting with Neil the Front of House Manager, who again couldn’t do enough for us, he arranged a taxi to take us to Harrods to finish off our trip. All in all this entire hotel is a wonderful experience of proper old Victorian service with impeccable manners, it feels like a real treat and something special to have stayed here. This is exactly what a hotel should be, these modern contemporary hotels just cannot compete with these standards, nor the experience. We will definitely return to this hotel again in the future for a special night in London. Mr & Mrs Roberts, thank you

Room Tip: The Deluxe room was beautiful
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BeverleyLR
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my great team ensured you were taken care of. I was glad you enjoyed the show at the nearby Royal Albert Hall and I hope you can visit us again soon. As always I have passed on your kind words to the team.
East Coast USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

My daughter (9 years) and I were treated like queens. I could not imagine a more comfortable, caring oasis in a busy city. We loved London but we really loved coming "home" and seeing what personal touches awaited us in our room...one day a cake, another my child's name spelled out in letters on the bed, and some light snacks. Speical marks to Dixon and Alexa for their kindnesses and personal attention.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
I was so pleased to read that you and your daughter felt like royalty during your stay with us !! I was so happy that we met your expectations and I have passed on your kind words to Dixon, Alexa and the rest of my great team which I know they will really appreciate. Please do come back to visit us soon.
My kindest regards,
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

After reading the very many favourable Trip Advisor reviews and the hotel's excellent & enticing web site I knew this was to be our base in central London for my wife's 50th birthday.
If one reads the hotel management's list of operational & service quality aspirations, for myself, one of the most significant is ; to attempt to exceed their customers expectations.The Milestone's happy and very attentive staff certainly achieve this goal. Particularly worthy of mention were the reception & door staff service levels, a very nice touch being the ability to remember customers names. Also, unusual, even for five star hotels, is the presence and availability of management which is obvious and transparent.

Firstly we were provided with an excellent initial tour from Alexa around the fascinating, listed and historical building and finally up to our room.This was definitely of five star standard and immaculately clean with the interior design/ colour scheme bordering on quirky or even eccentric, however, pleasantly different. The walls are covered in luxury, cushioned fabrics!
Other lovely surprises were the appearance of a delicious birthday cake, light as a feather, a welcome card (hand written by the manager) and a birthday card.
We dined in the restaurant having had a cocktail and appetising canapes in the Stables Bar before our dinner. The meal was lovely and the ambience very relaxing and unhurried.
We slept extremely well - the location is surprisingly quiet for central London although our room was located towards the back of the hotel.
We be definitely be back.
A special thank you to Alexa and Georgia.

Overall, in summary, a VERY hard to fault hotel, in a great location, with exemplary levels of customer service delivered by staff that appear to be very content and very valued in their positions.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
I was so glad to read your feedback following your recent stay. I have passed on your kind words to my brilliant team which I know they will really appreciate. I was pleased that we met your high expectations on your birthday stay and please do come and celebrate a special occasion again in the near future.