“simply wonderful in everything”

The Milestone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I spent 5 nights at the Milestone Hotel and everything about this hotel and the staff is simply wonderful. From the moment you walk up the front steps it's like being 'at home'. This is not an easy feat for any hotel but the Milestone is not like any other hotel.

The Milestone is a complete oasis in a very busy city. The staff are always expecting you and welcome you home. The rooms are beautifully appointed and the bathrooms are fabulous. You never have to worry if you've packed everything because the Milestone will have it. The food is exquisite. I would highly recommend you have dinner at the hotel, and please try the pork. It was the highlight of our stay!

We were treated like royalty - the care and attention to detail is something everyone should have the opportunity to experience. The staff at the Milestone are exemplary - they are genuine, warm, friendly and very professional. These are innate characteristics that can't be taught but are surely felt by all that stay at the Milestone.

Our sincere thanks to Geoffrey, Dickson, Susan, Florent and all of the gentlemen at the front door and concierge desk. We had a truly wonderful time and it was our pleasure meeting all of you.

Barbara Hogg Lawrence
Montreal Canada

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EnglishinMontreal
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

I was absolutely delighted to read your very kind words following your recent stay with us at The Milestone Hotel. I must also thank you for your kind words about the great team I am so proud to have here. It is them who make this hotel great. I have passed on your feedvback to all the team here and please do visit us again soon.
With renewed thanks,

There are newer reviews for The Milestone Hotel

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Having chosen this hotel due to its billing as the top one on tripadvisor we had high expectations of our stay. Whilst we had a good time, it did not live up to the hype.
On booking with the hotel you are sent an extensive and detailed questionnaire about your fruit, welcome drink, DVD preferences and room facilities that you would like to be available. Having taken the time to fill this in and email it back to them we arrived in our room to find that all of the requests had been ignored. There was no fruit (stated to be complimentary on the forms), no DVDs, no tea or coffee making facilities and no welcome drink although this was subsequently offered (they clearly didn't know what we had earlier requested).
There are several areas you are shown around and told that you can enjoy food or drink, probably the nicest being the Park Lounge where we were told we could go night or day. Unfortunately, arriving on a weekend afternoon teas were held here and although we asked on three separate occasions we were not permitted to do so. There was no apology.
The restaurant is lovely and the food of a high quality, so perhaps the high prices (£40 for a main course) are to be expected but given the attention to detail it is surprising that they overcharged us for a starter and added on petit fours we were not offered.
The whole experience was booked as a surprise birthday present, details again explained at booking, and I was reassured that my partner would not be party to the quite extravagant cost of the massage she had as a gift. I was disappointed therefore when she was presented with a bill to sign which clearly stated the price.
The issues highlighted here may to some appear to be small print, but meticulous attention to detail is what a hotel such as this claims to offer. People staying here will enjoy the lovely surroundings, friendly staff and nice facilities but individuals expecting this hotel to surpass other five star establishments will be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My adult daughter and I just completed a wonderful 3 night stay at The Milestone. Every staff member we encountered - doormen, front desk, concierge, wait staff, housekeeping, the bartender - was pleasant and helpful in a sincere vs. professionally nice way. We selected a package that included breakfast, enjoyed in a different spot each day - the library, dining room, and room service - such a treat. We met friends for drinks in The Milestone bar before dinner - it's a unique space that offers a few different, all extremely comfortable options to sit, chat, and enjoy yourselves. The Milestone's location was perfect for our goal of walking almost everywhere - and we tried as much as possible to make Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park part of our route.

It's not easy for a hotel to thoroughly and equally impress two people aged 61 and 25, but The Milestone pulled it off.

Room Tip: Ask that your room overlook Kensington Palace. If at all possible, The Milestone will accommodate y...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mary Ann C

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay at The Milestone Hotel. I was delighted to read that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the service, facilities and location of the hotel to your liking. I was so glad to read that you sampled all that the hotel has to offer and I do hope that you will come back and visit us in the near future.
Many thanks,

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We saved the Milestone for our last night In London since it was our 30th anniversary of our marriage. We made the right choice! We were given a lovely room overlooking the park. The underground was on strike when we were there but it did not matter. Because we were there to enjoy the park and this lovely hotel. Even though the Milestone is lovely from the top to the bottom. It is the hotel staff that makes this a wonderful experience. They address you by name. always have a warm hello. Will go out of their way to make sure you have a enjoyable stay. Thank you to all the fine people of Milestone. Cheers!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William J

I was absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your celebration stay with us at The Milestone Hotel. I was especially happy to read that you found all of our team to be friendly and welcoming. I really do appreciate your kind words and please do come back and stay with us again soon.
My best wishes,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

On the 27 01 14 we took our granddaughters out to tea at the Milestone for the little princess tea
the girls really enjoyed it they thought it was very posh , the staff were all so kind to them they so enjoyed decorating their cup cakes we also enjoyed the tea the cakes were delicious, Would recommend and go again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank livielou

Thank you so much for your feedback following your visit to The Milestone Hotel. I was delighted that you and your Grandchildren enjoyed your special Afternoon Tea with us especially the cup cake decorating. That is a real favourite with our younger guests. Please do come and visit us again soon.
My kindest regards,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My wife and I spent very memorable 3 nights at The Milestone celebrating her birthday. We chose The Milestone because it was very highly rated and recommended and was located within of our area of interest. On few of our recent vacations we have sampled different kinds of luxury hotels, classic and boutique types (also in London). We had generated very high expectations for The Milestone knowing that the hotel itself would be a major part of our short vacation experience.

Now reflecting our vacation I must say that the wonderful staff and literally spotless premises of The Milestone really succeed. The vast amount of details that were "just right" is mindbogling. Where do I start: the premises, execution of classic luxury style, unique flavour in room decorations, the number of specialized staff, the quality of each customer contact, the view to Kensington Gardends, the tea room and tea experience, range of different services offered, ...

We were visiting at the time of London underground worker's strike. This can be considered a major difficulty for London, but with the help of the staff and The Milestone's good location this had a revatively a low impact to our vacation experience.

I mean this as the most positive way, whether I met a cleaning lady on a corridor or a butler at the restaurant I felt I was always given a sincere attention and respect as a customer. This is humanly really hard to achieve reoccuringly 24/7 and none of the 5 luxury hotels I've sampled before have truly done this consistently.

Highlights to us:
-The location, location, location (neighbourhood cleanliness, style, shopping, parks, museums, the nearest underground access)
-The traditional English tea experience
-The upgraded room with a great view to Kensington Gardens
-The birthday surprise experience
-Most likely the best customer service ever experienced, perfect
-Compact form factor of luxury services in hotel

Nitpicks:
-There were construction work nearby at the time of our visit and each morning a group of horses were walking by the building at around 7am. This had a minor impact to our sleep quality, not dramatic. This is a city, not a remote resort. Hence 4/5 for sleep.
-We had the continental breakfast each morning. Top service, top premises, top selection of fruits and likes, top tea. For me the fresh bread is very important. TBH, the variety of bread selection was good, but I have had better and more fresh bread in other places - this was ok and certainly not bad, but not the very best. Hence 4/5 for Breakfast. I can see that many others could have rated this 5/5.

I noticed while writing this review that The Milestone is currently regarded as #1 hotel in London, one of the top cities in the world. When I was booking a room I considered the price was quite high, but now would say that this had the top value and was worth every penny. While understanding that this easily becomes comparing apples to oranges, I can feel that The Milestone has deserved their place among the very best.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your kind words following your recent stay with us at The Milestone Hotel in London. I was delighted that we met your high expectations and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We've just enjoyed a long weekend in London, the highlight of which was our stay at The Milestone Hotel.

It is impossible to criticise or find fault with anything. The staff are warm, welcoming, attentive, friendly - in short, they turn an outstanding hotel into a truly great hotel. The recruitment and training must be extremely fastidious to achieve such brilliant end results.

In future, it will be our home from home when visiting London.

We cannot recommend The Milestone too highly, nobody will be disappointed by their stay.

Theresa Hale and Peter Gamble

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter150150
Milestone_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Milestone Hotel. My team and I were over the moon with your lovely comments about our service. You rightly mention our fastidious training and recruitment programmes for which we have a brilliant HR department to thank. We have recently been voted number 8 in the Sunday times top 100 companies to work for in the UK; this speaks volumes for our company. Our dedicated team are carefully selected and recruited and the training we deliver is constant throughout our employees careers.

Thank you for the lovely recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kindest regards