“Lovely stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Derby, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I've had the pleasure of staying recently at two of the 4 star red carnation hotels (Montague and Rubens) and so was really looking forward to the 5 star Milestone hotel.

The welcome is warm and friendly but surprisingly my room wasn't ready so it was off to the bar to wait with a complimentary drink.
The bar is great, Markus is very knowledgeable and mixes a mean margarita and although the wait was long it wasn't unpleasant. Unfortunately a couple of the hotel management were having a meeting in the bar and it would have been better it this had taken place in an office ( I really wasn't interested in the gentleman bemoaning the rates at the Rubens).

Dinner was fabulous but very expensive. I spoiled myself with the wagyu beef fillet which was great and the wine recommendations from the waiting staff were spot on. Three course dinner for one including 2 glasses of wine was over £100. It was good but there are some amazing restaurants in London so next time I would definitely eat out.

My room was comfortable and beautifully furnished and the complimentary upgrade was greatly appreciated.

Breakfast was leisurely and good with great hot food choices so I would recommend a bed and breakfast rate.

All things considered, although I had a great stay, I will book the Rubens again next time I'm in London on business rather than the Milestone. The hospitality is comparable but the price is significantly less and although the Rubens doesn't have the benefit of it 's own restaurant, bbar is close by and there are plenty of eating choices close by.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank JBParks15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Had a wonderful 5 night stay at the Milestone. The location was convenient and accessible to all the sights. Having the park across the street is so nice. I walked through it almost everyday. The staff was warm, friendly, and so helpful. We loved the turn down service in the evening. I have never been to a hotel with such exceptional service. This hotel is truly worth every penny.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Brooke P
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
I was delighted to read your review following your recent stay at The Milestone Hotel. I was glad that we met your expectations and found the service and hotel facilities to your liking. Please do come and visit us again soon.
My best regards,
Beaminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

From entering through the doors of The Milestone we were cared for so well by the very professional & attentive staff. Every request was dealt with efficiently and always with a smile.
In the middle of London this hotel felt like a calm oasis. The décor beautifully traditional. Breakfast was ample and drinking in the bar a pleasure.
We made the mistake of turning down a 'turn down' and then seeing our friends room who had. It looked magical. So fellow guests never ever refuse a 'turn down' at The Milestone !

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank cds50
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent stay at The Milestone Hotel. I was so pleased to read that you felt the hotel was a " home from home". Please do sample our turndown service on your next stay. As you said you missed out on this treat we provide for our guests.
Thanks again for your kind words,
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Quintessentially English hotel with Staff that are without a doubt some of the most professional, dedicated, polite and friendly hotel staff we have had the pleasure to meet. Immediately we were at ease and relaxed. Afternoon Tea was a delightful experience, our suite was outstanding - clean, plenty of space, beautifully dressed - and our Full English breakfast was second to none. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 229Roz
I would like to thank you so much for your feedback following your recent stay with us at The Milestone Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I have passed on your kind words to Pedro and the team here at the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to us again in the near future.
With renewed thanks,
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

After a long and eventful journey, my wife and I arrived at the steps of the hotel to be greeted by a very helpful doorman. The check-in experience was something we had only ever experienced at Scottish country hotels; friendly and relaxed, but deceptively efficient. Pedro showed us around the hotel and some of its facilities before showing us to our room, and what a room! We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night and the food was first class, fresh and extremely tasty. A couple of drinks in the bar with a very attentive barman and then a perfect nights sleep.
The breakfast selection was amazing and they had my favourite Haddock and poached eggs, washed down with excellent coffee. An excellent breakfast that set us up for the day which began by walking out the front door straight over the road to Hyde Park for a morning walk to Oxford Street.
A fantastic hotel in lovely, quiet surroundings opposite Hyde Park, excellent food and drink and most importantly, amazing friendly staff.
We will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank QuarkMurphy
Many thanks for your kind words following your stay with us at The Milestone Hotel. I was delighted that after a long journey to us that you found the hotel welcoming and that you enjoyed your stay espcially the brilliant breakfast we serve. i have passed on you kind words to Pedro and the rest of the team here and please do visit us again soon.
My kindest regards,

Cagliari, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Typical English hotel, very quaint and elegant, clean, tidy and the food was great!
The waiters are at the top of professionalism. . .
the treatment reserved for us is indescribable, just arrived we were served and revered. Top marks ...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MatteoF23
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you so very much for your kind feedback following your recent visit to The Milestone Hotel. I was so glad to read that you enjoyed the facilities and especially the service in our restaurant. Please do come and see us again soon.
Kind regards,
Greensboro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I checked into the Milestone after spending 4 nights at the Savoy. What a change of pace! The Milestone was so quiet - almost a little too quiet but after 4 nights on the Strand it was wonderful to get away from that action. We were upgraded to a very nice room overlooking Hyde Park. We were only on the 3rd floor but the way that they have the windows insulated you can't hear the traffic on Kensington High St. Amazing!

We didn't experience the "incredible" staff the way that many other reviewers experienced. I don't know if it's because we are a younger couple (in our 30s) and it seems as though the hotel attracts older guests. Regardless, all the doormen were fantastic. Fran also made us feel very welcome. And Jose at the concierge was able to find a pub nearby that served Shepard's Pie and I would like him to know that it was FANTASTIC! Thank you Jose! The bartender, Daniele lacked personality. For instance, I asked him if they had any bleu cheese stuffed olives for a martini (it's my absolute favorite!) His response was "No." Not a, "let me see what we could do" or anything like that. Based on descriptions above it seemed like other guests experienced a more accommodating staff. Dickinson, the other bartender is so friendly and engaging. A stark contrast to Daniele. There were some receptionists at the hotel that did everything they could to avoid eye contact with us. So strange.

The food. Oh my goodness. It is so good. Please eat at Cheneston's! The breakfast was great and dinner was excellent! I got the Dover Sole for dinner our 1st night there and it was incredible. The turn down service was great as well. We really enjoyed our stay at the Milestone, I just wished we could have experienced that all encompassing "welcome" that other reviewers describe.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple