“Exceptional Staff”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Exceptional Staff”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was our first visit to London. After extensive research we chose the Milestone and we were not disappointed. We arrived early in the morning after our flight from Toronto and to our surprise our room was ready. Our particular room 502 was small and somewhat awkwardly laid out but once we got past that we were able to enjoy the attention to detail and unique beauty of the charming rooms in this quaint hotel. What truly distinguished this hotel for us was the staff. Each was incredibly pleasant and focused on ensuring our stay was enjoyable. The full English breakfast which was part of our package was by far the best breakfast we have had throughout our European travels. Once again the staff were friendly and charming. Although all are worthy of a mention we particularly enjoyed our discussions with Francesco Russo. We opted for the champagne and romantic turndown as an option in our package and the hotel staff did a wonderful job of preparing our room with chocolates candles and rose petals. All of the concierge staff were exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful. We benefited most from the wonderful advice and restaurant bookings made for us by Joshua. He was very patient and came to understand our preferences very quickly. We enjoyed the location of the hotel primarily because of Kensington and Hyde park which we would walk through every morning. I would not recommend the hop on hop off tour. It was extremely slow and not sufficiently informative. The tube was useful and an efficient means of travel. We enjoyed the bikes which you could rent all over London and they were great except when you were in the downtown core. Between traffic and the tour buses it was a bit intimidating. Through the parks and paths though they were user friendly and a good method of transportation. London is a beautiful city well worth the visit. We found things relatively expensive particularly considering the currency conversion but look forward to coming back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deanna12
Milestone_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very complimentary review. Our team were very happy when they read your lovely comments on their service. Joshua really is one of our superstars and was delighted to read that you enjoyed his recommendations and that he got your preferences spot on.

I was disappointed to read about your Big Bus experience, the feedback we receive is generally positive, we will relay this to the operators of the service. The bicycles are a great new addition to the City and as you mentioned perfect for riding through the parks in London.

We sincerely hope we will see you again soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Vallejo, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Milestone does have issues, e.g., electrical. But any issues are minor and well-taken care of by the cordial staff. So, If you are planning a London trip, and If you can afford it, then you can hardly go wrong in booking a stay at the Milestone.

Room Tip: A room chosen away from the front might sacrifice view for quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Milestone_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for reviewing the Milestone Hotel. Our team were delighted to read your comment about your experience. I have noted your comment on the electricity, we did have a 15 minute outage in the local area which was due to a faulty cable, unfortunately there was not much we could have done about this however we were very happy that the effect was minimal.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Rocklin, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Milestone was our home for our first 6 nights on our London/Ireland journey. Location and hotel services were near-perfect (can't beat the 3 min. walk from the Tube station and the numerous restaurants nearby). Our Virtuoso package included FULL breakfasts everyday, and we definitely took full advantage (amazing cold buffet and beautiful cooked offerings, including baked cod, eggs benedict, etc.). Our rooms (202/203) were a little cramped, but we had the constraint of needing 2 adjoining rooms to accommodate our 2 tween-age daughters - and I think they would've upgraded us (again, for the Virtuoso package) if rooms were available. Rooms themselves were beautiful, if not spacious.

As we are an American family used to more of the spacious, do-it-yourself properties (think Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites), it took a while to get used to constantly being asked "Would you like a taxi?" everytime we walked through the lobby, or just being greeted by name by the concierge staff. One part of me kept thinking "Leave me alone - can we just come and go without being 'noticed'!!?". Yet, the concierge staff was charming, personable, and always responsive. They were quick to direct me to the right store when my US-voltage shaver blew on my first use, and also sent maintenance up in a timely manner to fix our TV. By the end of our visit, we were quite accustomed to being 'spoiled' by the initially overbearing staff.

A couple of other things that we had to adapt to was the housekeeping staff constantly "tidying up" our belongings. I'm used to leaving things out on the desk or nightstand, and I typically rearrange furniture to meet our needs. Almost every day, the housekeepers would put everything away and return the furniture back to their original locations, requiring me to spend a few minutes recreating "my space" again. I realized that a brief note saying "please do not tidy up or move the furniture back" would communicate my preference....and it worked!

There were so many other wonderful touches, though. Every evening, canapes were brought to our rooms - scones with jam, pate, fruit balls with caramel dip -- just delicious! The one true negative I have to mention, though, is the big surprise we had when looking at our final bill. On our last day, we sent laundry out. The total cost came to 318.85 GBP. WHAT?? We realized after we left that the pricing schedule only allowed for dry cleaning rates, and nothing required dry cleaning - just washing. We could've bought an entirely new washing machine for that cost! Somehow, later in our journey at another similar hotel, we were just charged 36 Euros for the same amount of laundry. Moral of the story: take your laundry elsewhere! To add insult to injury, the Milestone did not apply the $100 Virtuoso credit on our stay against the cost of laundry. That would've helped dampen the shock.

Still, our actual memories of our 6 nights at the Milestone are magical! It truly exemplified the London that we visited: classy, caring, personal, and clean, with utmost attention to details. Architecturally, the Milestone is almost museum quality, too. Anyone accustomed to truly being pampered by quality service will be 100% happy with the Milestone. Families who are accustomed to more space and less 'attention' may be a little uncomfortable at first.

Room Tip: If SPACE is a priority, make sure you mention this. Every room is different, and I'm sure some...
3 Thank Marsh511
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for reviewing the Milestone Hotel.

I am very please to read that overall you enjoyed your time here with us. I am disappointed that you did not book an apartment with us noting your preference for a DIY holiday. Our apartments benefit from a kitchenette as well as living room and dining area as well as a private entrance to the hotel, this would have helped avoid the friendly faces you encountered in our lobby. I appreciate that you preferred the room to be setup the way you wished hence we do provide a note with the carnation in the bathrooms explaining that we tidy up in the room unless asked not to, I am happy that this was swiftly resolved for you however.

I have noted your comment on the Laundry however do have to point out that the laundry list that is on the laundry bag in your room clearly highlights the prices of all our laundry services. We also provide a more economical in house Valet service for washing which is also an option you could have selected on your laundry ticket. The Virtuoso Food credit was not applied to your laundry as this very generous credit applies to an in house Food experience, our external suppliers such as the laundry company do not honour Virtuoso credits hence we communicate which services the credit applies to.

We sincerely hope that you will consider our apartments should you wish to return to London, this will enable you to benefit from having our world class service however still be able to escape the ambiance in the lobby and other public areas.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Where does one begin? Is it the fact that everyone, and I mean everyone, knows your name and your preferences? Or is it the fact that you know their names? Is it the fact that they anticipate your needs and that they clearly enjoy helping you solve your problems? It might be that they treat your 11 year-old daughter like she is one of their own children, and you can see the sparkle in her eyes with every interaction. It might be that they are helping you make memories and that your family is welcome and cherished. Could it be the fact that the General Manager and the Deputy General Manager and the Food and Beverage Manager and the Head Concierge and the Head Chauffeur and the Executive Head Housekeeper and the Front of House Manager are ever present and convivial and personable and truly care if you are being taken care of? Is it the fact that the the chauffeurs and the butlers and the concierges and the doormen and the porters and the front desk staff and the waiters and the night staff and the barmen and the kitchen staff and the housekeepers and the engineers bend over backwards to make sure that every detail is perfect? Or is it the fact that they all work seamlessly as a team and a family and that there appears to be no division in departments or ranks, and that anyone will do anything at any time that is requested or required of them to make sure that you are treated with the utmost respect and consideration? Is it the fact that you cannot conceive of a question or a request that they will not answer or execute, ever? Is it the fact that they replace the contents of your minibar with their favorite ciders and bitters, or that they invite your budding 11 year-old chef into the kitchen to learn from a Master Chef how to make the French toast she has been raving about all week? Could it be that staying at the hotel is like living in your own expertly staffed 19th Century mansion in Kensington? The suites are opulent and charming at the same time, perfectly appointed and completely functional. They are comfortable and regal, inviting and beautifully decorated. This is the place where you will be made to feel that you alone have an enormous, dedicated personal staff with experience, charm, resources and professionalism that will spoil your expectations for every hotel in which you will ever stay. They will charm you and respect you and engage you, or just leave you to your own devices. They will will know whether you need help or need to be left alone. I have stayed in some supremely elegant hotels all over the world, but have never been made to feel more important or respected or valued, anywhere. Last year we took two master suites for 9 nights, this year we took the same rooms for 18 nights. Before we left this year, we booked the same two suites for next summer for 25 nights. When we leave, we miss the people and anxiously count down the days to our return. To be honest, I truly believe that they too await our return. Enough cannot be said about the people of this place, they are truly exceptional.

1 Thank Gary L
MilestoneGM, General Manager at The Milestone Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
I was absolutely thrilled to read you very kind and detailed feedback following you and your families stay at The Milestone Hotel. On behalf of all the team at the hotel I cannot thank you enough for your kind words. I have already passed these on to all of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near futre.
With renewed thanks,
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Milestone Hotel was the perfect choice for my recent London vacation. The entire staff catered to our needs on a daily basis. There was fresh fruit waiting for me when I returned from my day of sightseeing. The hotel is beautiful, the staff goes above and beyond and the entire experience was more than excellent. I highly recommend this hotel for your next trip to London.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different and charming in their own way.
1 Thank Colleen G
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind feedback following your recent stay with us at The Milestone Hotel. I was really please that you enjoyed the service and that you also liked the surroundings and facilities in the hotel. I have passed on your kind words to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future.
My kindest regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I booked this princess afternoon tea special treat for my daughter via email and this was confirmed promptly. We were greeted courteously at the main door and shown into a delightful elegant room. They made my daughter feel like a real princess and they even served her a cupcake with candle on a decorated plate with 'Happy Birthday' with a piano playing the birthday tune in the background. It was absolutely wonderful. If you let The Hotel know in advance, the princesses can also decorate a cupcake, which was a lovely touch also. I have been to the Ritz and although on a smaller scale, the staff here were equally as professional and attentive. Thank you to all the staff at the Milestone Hotel for making our birthday girl and trip to London extra special.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
I was absolutely delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your afternoon tea at The Milestone Hotel. I was also pleased that we met the expectations of you and your Daughter on her special day and that you felt at home in the hotel. Please do come again to visit us soon.
Many thanks,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

great hotel very nice room great service cannot find anything wrong about it really worth it to go there!! very nice location and place where you willspend great time relax and staff is extremly nice higlhy recommended

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for your kind words following your recent stay at The Milestone Hotel. I was really glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope that you will visit us again soon.
Kind regards,