“disappointing”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver
“disappointing”
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We were coming to London, read the reviews on Tripadvisor recommending this hotel and decided to splurge. The apartments photos looked lovely and most of the reviews were very enthusiastic. And since we were coming for 23 days we wanted to be comfortable, with the convenience of a kitchen. I had pictured having our friends over, for drinks, a bite to eat. No way that could happen. We wouldn't have been able to fit. And I'm not talking about hordes. I'm talking about two more people for an hour or so.

We were disappointed, to say the least.

They put up in apartment 6, up in the attic, a little rabbit warren of a place, which was hard enough for me, having to make my way around the living room with my head cricked at a slant, and couldn't sit at the kitchen table without my head bowed so it wouldn't thunk against the ceiling. HOWEVER, for my son, who is 6'5" it was truly uncomfortable!

THIS WAS NOT WORTH PAYING OVER $17,000! Even the final stairway up to the apartment door was small and claustrophobic. And the furniture in the living room seemed tired and worn.

I asked to be moved, but they didn't have another apartment free and we had chosen the Milestones, because we didn't want to be in a hotel room for all that time. I mentioned that the apartment they put us in didn't look nearly as spacious as the ones Online and was told that some of the apartments weren't quite as small feeling. One of the staff showed me one on another floor that we could have moved into for a week, but then we would have had to move back again, and who wants to do that? They also offered to move us into one of their hotel rooms (which again shows that they do care and were willing to help) however the whole trip was to settle in with our boy for a little home-away-from-home visit. Not to hang out in a hotel, and not have a fridge and stove and the ability to cook up a snack.

The other apartment they showed me was actually quite nice and what I had expected when I had booked. And the bathrooms were ensuite and the ceiling didn't require one to walked list to one side in order to keep one's head intact.

What I don't understand is if you have someone book a place for such a long stay, why would you stick them in a the worst apartment? We travel to London quite often, and would have come back, quite happily, if they had put us in something nice. Bad business.

We booked a two bedroom/two bathroom apartment. Now you would think that that would mean ensuite? No. It did not. There was one bathroom off the downstairs hall and the other one was up some impossibly small stairs to a tiny living area that I could only walk upright if I stood in the centre of the room, otherwise I had to walk at a slant. The second bathroom was off that room, the use of a skylight helped, in that tiny hobbit hole of a bathroom. We rarely bothered going up there. Why would we?

I also had a problem with the doors. You had to prop them open with door-stops or them would slam shut, and the door knobs in the bathroom and our bedroom were very difficult to turn, and many times a door would swing shut behind me and I wouldn't be able to turn the stiff knob enough to release the latch and would have to resort on knocking on the door and my husband or son would be able to free me.

There was an yellow caution cone in the hall on the 3rd/4th (?) floor. And the carpet had been ripped up and was lying loose on the floor. We were told that they were doing repairs, but if it was happening, we didn't see it and that cone and lifted up carpet stayed that way the entire time we were there. A ladder appeared at one point and then that stayed as well, propped up against a wall. Don't know what a ladder has to do with carpet, but maybe it was something to do with the water problems we were having and they needed it out for quick access to the pipes.

On the upside, the staff were lovely, always gracious. When the toilets refused to work, they sent someone right up to fix it. I was very impressed with the speed to which the responded. When the water stopped working (once for most of the day, and another time in the evening for several hours) When I called downstairs to inform them, they offered to let us use one of the hotel rooms to shower in, which was thoughtful. And being on the top floor (the attic) it was nice a quiet, sleep wasn't a problem, and the view over the rooftops with the church steeple in the distance was quite nice.

It was nice to have the option of room service after a tiring day. The food was quite good. The linens were lovely and they gave us plenty of thick lovely towels. The location is very convenient. I liked the little touches like the scissors and tape in the desk, and tea and sugar in the kitchen and the thoughtful welcome fruit basket and the few welcome staples in the fridge. Also liked that they had Internet access included.

And truthfully, even given the other small challenges, if they had put us in one of the better designed apartments (that cost the same price as what we were paying) I wouldn't have minded the cost and come back year after year after year, since my son has recently moved to London for school and it is nice to be able have a place that one can cook meals in and pretend that we are home and family together again.

As it is, I was pissed off with what they gave us, for the price they charged. Felt ripped off, and played for a fool. And would have moved out, but we had signed a contract and even if I hadn't, I wasn't sure if I wanted the hassle of locating another place to stay and moving. Who wants to go through that kind of bother when one is on vacation?

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank tegmilly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
England
Reviewed 31 March 2010

This is how I would run a hotel, there was nothing that could have improved our stay. I was a bit worried because I wondered if it would be stuffy and I would feel uncomfortable - this could not have been further from the truth. From the minute we arrived we felt special and genuinely valued and wanted as guests, I think I only said my name upon check in and then every member of staff knew who we were - amazing. The little touches made the whole stay really special and I feel myself welling up thinking about the amount of times I was wowed.
I wont go in to much detail as it will spoil it for future guests but I would be shocked if anyone gave less than a rave review.
The personal touch is what we have lost these days as we go about our daily business and do we really listen to what people need? The Milestone does and more.
The food was fantastic and everyone was excellent - I will remember our stay forever.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sleighties
ohio
Reviewed 28 March 2010

My family and I had the pleasure of a four night stay at the Milestone in March of 2010. We book through American Express when possible. The agent steered us to a hotel down the street, and upon arrival, we figured it made sense to check out the Milestone, which was my wife's first choice.

From the moment we set foot in the hotel, the staff treated us with courtesy and respect. We were given a tour of the property and quickly decided to retrieve our belongings from the other property and check in for the duration of our stay. We chose a suite with two levels. The room was beautifully decorated, exceedingly clean, and comfortable. The upstairs room had a sofa bed, television, small pool table, and half bath. Perfect in all respects. The bathroom was roomy and elegant.

The common areas were beautifully decorated as well. The food was outstanding, although we did not get an opportunity to have either dinner or lunch. The staff was beyond compare. Helpful, smart, clever, appropriate.

This boutique hotel is as good as it gets. Terrific location backed up by everything one would expect of a premier property. Its pricey but worth every penny.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank OhioMaranello
UK
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Stayed last year at this hotel although not sure exactly when! Been meaning to write a review for sometime.
Ok you know as soon as you walk into the hotel its a different level as your greeted by name. Very friendly gentleman showed us around the hotel which is always nice particularly as the Milestone seems to have some history. Once we were shown to our room it was made clear that if we needed anything no matter what then please ask, even if it meant a room service item or meal that wasnt on the menu.
Room was very comfortable if slightly small although i think we may of just got a little unlucky with that.
I liked the location of the Hotel. Turn right and have a nice stroll down the road and you will be in the middle of the main shopping areas harrods etc.
Concierge were superb when booking our theatre tickets. Only issue we had here was we were told we were on the guestlist for Boujis nightclub however when we arrived my name was nowhere to be found, however i supect that was out of the hotels hands.
For a top hotel it certainly is not stuck up in the slightest. I will be returning and will be sending my mother as a birthday treat.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IntotheblueUK
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I have stayed at five star hotels all over the world and The Milestone is really at the top of my list!

I did extensive research prior to my stay and landed on the Milestone. I was more than pleased and could not have been any happier with every aspect of this hotel.

Upon check-in, I was given a tour of the hotel and all the amenities by the hotel butler. In addition, we were offered a complimentary drink at the hotel bar while the room was being prepared (we arrived early). In about 15 mins, the room was ready and the butler showed us to the room. I purchased a king room and it was very nice. That being said, the butler indicated that the hotel was not full and that upgrades were available if we were interested. They showed us to a suite and offered it to us for only $50 more per night. We decided to do the upgrade and landed in room 209. It was perfect! The room had a nice sitting area, large and luxurious bed, and a very nice balcony overlooking the conservatory. The room had free wireless, a large and luxurious bath with bidet, toilet, and tub/shower combo. Fresh fruit was also left in the room for us.

Each night, the turn-down service was outstanding. Floating candles, chocolate, music, nice little gifts, and even a chocolate cake one evening.

Park of my package included full English breakfast and dinner one night at the hotel restaurant. Both breakfast and the dinner were immaculate! The hotel restaurant is amazing and has outstanding service and food. I would recommend eating here even if you do not have the package that includes it. Breakfast was also great (and you can chose to eat in or have it as part of room service).

Lastly, as everyone has mentioned, the service is beyond excellent. They will go out of their way to accommodate any request you have and always with a smile.

The next time I am in London there is no doubt I will be staying at The Milestone again. I can not wait to return.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank andrew_branham
New York
Reviewed 12 March 2010

My husband and I were in London for a spring wedding, and for this particular visit, we chose to stay at the Milestone. It has had tons of buzz in the travel industry and every client I sent there myself came back with rave reviews. Having stayed at many of London's top hotels, I had high expectations and the Milestone blew me away. Our room was upgraded at no extra cost, and it was an upgrade like none I have ever had before. Our suite was hidden behind a fake bookcase and our room was bi-level with a spiral staircase and a sprawling balcony overlooking Kensington Park. The decor was tasteful and welcoming with warm colors and a spread of books for us to enjoy. On the top level, the walls had been painted to look like an antique library full of books and there was a snooker table for us to enjoy. The bedroom was downstairs and it was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. At 3am, I got really hungry and ordered some tea and a honeycomb ice cream desert. It arrived almost instantly and two years later my husband and I are still talking about how amazing that late night desert was.

The staff is also the friendliest I have ever encountered in England. Upon arriving, they gave us a tour of their facilities, drew out maps to my favorite stores and wrote out tube directions to get to a suburb where the wedding was being held. Also, on a rainy morning, they had umbrellas and slickers at the door for all to use.

The hotel itself is beautiful and has a nice quiet location aside Kensington Park. I would suggest the Milestone for anyone who wants to feel like royalty in London!

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobynPringTravel
Virginia
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I spent four nights here with my young daughter. This hotel is splendid. I can see why it has such high TripAdvisor ratings.

First of all, the decor is WONDERFUL. This is a Victorian building that has been lovingly renovated in the full-on English "we love patterns" sort of way. If you need Japanese zen decor to relax, don't stay here. But if you want to feel like you are in England, and you enjoy elegant & cozy decor with lots of throw pillows and warm fires and cozy nooks and fresh flowers, you will love it here.

We stayed in the Viscount Suite (a junior suite), which was gorgeous and overlooked Hyde Park. What is really special about this hotel is all the thoughtful details they put in your room. The room desk, for example, is stocked like your desk at home--it even has tape--so when my daughter was making her scrapbook of our visit, she had everything she needed right there. It was so great. And the bathroom has every sort of amenity and product. They even light candles in there as part of the evening turn-down service. They have thought of a million little things to make you feel welcome. I just loved it.

The service is exceptional. The hotel website has an introductory video that would have you believe you were being attended to by Jeeves. In fact, the staff is very warm, very friendly. They fuss over you. They want to know if you are chilly and need a cup of tea, or if you enjoyed your breakfast or you need help unpacking your luggage. Everyone remembers your name. They really look after you.

The restaurant is supposed to be quite good and so is the afternoon tea. I, unfortunately, did not get a chance to try either. The morning breakfast is very good and so is the "snack menu" which has nice pasta and sandwiches and is great for kids. My daughter and I were often tired at the end of the day and would have a quick "snack menu" dinner on the sofa by the fire in the lounge. It was lovely.

As for the location, it is excellent--particularly if you have children. You are right across the street from Hyde Park. You are also a five minute walk down the street from Royal Albert Hall and a ten to fifteen minute walk from the Science Center, Natural History Museum, and Victoria & Albert Museum (they are in a cluster). The nearest Tube station is a bit of a hike, but if you are traveling as a family it is probably cheaper to take taxis (to British Museum, National Gallery, West End, etc) anyway. London is spread out, so wherever you stay you are going to be near some things and far from others.

One last thing I would like to say about this hotel is that it has an actual owner (or so I understand). That means there is a person (not a corporate committee) whose vision is represented here. Giant bland posh hotels are fine. But there is something magical about the unique and the personal--a place that is unafraid to have an eccentric room or two--particularly when that place is done as well as the Milestone Hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family