“Not all well...”

The Gore – Starhotels Collezione
Ranked #238 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Small hotel with much character. Rooms individualized. No tissue in bathroom (why ??) Service at breakfast very slow and indifferent, and bacon hardly cooked ! Some staff very pleasant and helpful, but NOT all !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We returned to the Gore last month and still love it! Our room was charming and the location is fantastic. We really loved having the library available to hang out with our London friends, meet up for a tea and a chat. It's a great amenity. I know my husband wished the bar had draft beer, so needless to say, we didn't spend too much time in there. Plus it was pretty quiet, we were the only patrons most of the time. But it's so gorgeous!

We brought our friend to The Gore as well and I have to agree with her that charging extra for the internet is a colossal drag! Just add it to the price of the room, if you need to. It's so passe to charge for this anymore.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This has been our dream to stay at The Gore for many years. For our 33 year anniversary, we made it! Our room was very small but wonderfully filled with history as well as modern conveniences. The location is the best for us, next to the Royal Albert Hall and opening night of the ballet Romeo and Juliet. Also, just across the street was the London Antique Show. I'd you want a larger spacious room, be prepared to pay top dollar or try a more modern hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We only stopped 1 night, but would have liked to have stayed longer. It was our 1st stay at the Gore & was chosen by us due to its close proximity to the Royal Albert Hall (having previously stayed further afield & got incredibly wet trying to get taxi's from outside after concerts). We certainly hope to stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We booked The Gore for last Friday on recommendation from the Royal Albert Hall as we were attending a concert there. My booking was for a "Wonderful Twin Room' on a bed and breakfast rate of £285. As promised it was very handy for the concert. The staff were warm and friendly and the food in their Bistro 190 was very good. Unfortunately my Wonderful Twin turned out to be a double and when I said there must be some mistake I was told that the rather dilapidated leather sofa also turned out into a sofa bed. My mistake was in accepting this. I should have made a fuss and asked for proper twin beds but being quite an easy going sort of person I said I'd give it a shot...big mistake. Hideously uncomfortable night. I e-mailed the manager when we got home on Saturday and had hoped for some sort of explanation but so far no reply. Also worth noting that there are no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, the TV was pretty old and didn't have the usual radio or red button facilites. All things I would expect for this kind of price. Also, although I asked by e-mail for a booking in the Bistro for 6pm when we got there it hadn't been made and they were fully booked. Fortunately the bistro is open all day so the best they could do for us was a very early dinner at 4pm so we didn't starve. In retrospect it was the staff who saved the day, if they hadn't been so kind and cheery this would all have been a disaster which would have been a great pity because it was a special night out for my husband and me.

Room Tip: Avoid 302 with the dodgy sofa bed.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheila J
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Wonderful bar and extremely helpful concierge! Greeted like family upon arrival and during our stay. My friend & I had a beautiful twin room. The beds & bedding are luxurious. A pleasure to stay there, we'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is a wonderful, friendly hotel in central London. The rooms are a nice size and have wonderful special touches--4 poster beds, etc. The staff are efficient and helpful. As a regular visitor to London, for work and pleasure, my only concerns are 1. no kettle in room and 2. location. The problem with the location is that while close, about 7 blocks to more populous areas, if you just want to run out to get a paper, drink, get to a tube station etc, it is a bit of a walk--not bad, but not as convenient as other hotels. However, on the plus side, due to location it is very quiet and you sleep well.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business