“Disappointed”

Ranked #92 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Boston, Massachusetts
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

We have stayed and referred others here before. This was the beginning of a 25th anniversary trip and we were disappointed by the high price, the small room and the overall poor quality of the service. There was no doorman to greet us upon arrival and help with the bags. We sent a pair of trousers for regular laundry service and had to chase it down with several phone calls and notes at the front desk. Finally, we requested a 4:30am wake up call which never came. Thankfully our car service had the presence of mind to inquire at the front desk or else we would have missed our flight. Management was quick to send us a survey link after our stay, in which we asked to be contacted and were not. Overall a disappointing experience

Room Tip: Park view is the way to go; we had view of High Street and found it a bit noisy. Also, beware the fi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I know that we have been in contact with yourself via our Guest feedback Survey. I would like to apologise again for the wake up call. We have improved our internal policies to ensure this never happens again. I am also sorry that you felt the room was small. Our Queen Rooms are for single occupancy only, and I know that having booked the room for one person that you also brought your wife. Our Queen Rooms are 21 sq m, which is competitive in both size and value when compared with other London 5 star hotels – but obviously it would be tight with two adults.

I look forward to hearing from you via our Guest Feedback system.

Kind Regards,

Graham Bamford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel in July for five night and really enjoyed my stay. My room was at the back of the hotel with a lovely view of the palace and gardens. It was very quiet and I got a good nights sleep. The staff were friendly and polite and the rooms very comfortable and clean. There is plenty of public transport with a bus stop at the front door and Kensington High Street tube station up the street. As I like to walk it was a lovely walk through the park into Oxford Street. Highly recommended and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We love this place, have reviewed it before. The staff is awesome - it had been a year and a half since our last visit (we always stay for 8-10 days) but many of them recognized us straight away and welcomed us back. Also they tend to promote from within, so it's nice to see members of the staff move up the line to higher positions. Employees seem to stay there for a long time, which is a good reflection on the management.
Once you know the ropes, it just takes patience and persistence to get the room and view you want. We asked to move rooms (one-half of our view through the picture window was of a stone wall) and had to wait a day to move as they were fully booked, but they made it right.
One complaint: we always use a travel agent because it is the only way that we can see to get a breakfast plan for the full stay at the hotel (we love the full English breakfast.) Apparently the hotel would rather you book direct, so they have started withholding free wi-fi unless you do. For a luxury hotel to try to charge GBP 20 a day for wi-fi is outrageous and ill-advised. When I finally found someone at the front desk with the authority to do it and said "you really want me to go across the street to a seedy Starbucks and use their wi-fi when I'm a loyal long-term guest?" they gave me the password. Just make it easy, guys! Offer a breakfast plan and free wi-fi if you book direct and we'll do it.
Other than those bumps which were eventually worked out, our stay was wonderful. Great room, great concierge staff, great housekeeper, great room service and restaurants. And the location just can't be beat.
Will we return - of course! I do hope that manager Graham pays attention to the suggestions, though.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, I do take note of every suggestion our guests make. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at the Royal Garden Hotel. I am especially happy to learn that you enjoyed the location of the hotel in leafy Kensington and the customer service received throughout the hotel.

Thank you for your comments regarding the Wi-Fi charge. We have recently invested heavily in our internet network and feel that the high band width and reliable service allows for a superior roaming experience far above that which you would experience in local free services.

Best regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

The Royal Garden is conveniently located, but take care to get the right room or you might feel like you're trying to sleep in the middle of High Street.

The hotel is conveniently located in what seems to be a cut out corner of Kensington Gardens a short distance from Kensington Palace. From the exterior, there's little to recommend it, but the interior lobby and ground floor restaurant and bar areas offer an immediate break from the high noise crush of Kensington High Street.

After a pleasant tree-lined, GBP10 taxi ride from Paddington Station (and the Heathrow Express train stop) I politely asked for a quiet room and the desk clerk worked for several minutes to find a way to make room for me in the fully booked hotel. I was moved from a second floor street-side to a seventh floor, tree-top-level room on the palace side of the hotel.

The room was small, but thoughtfully designed with plenty of space to relax, work, and sleep. The room was impeccably clean and had a responsive and quiet heating/cooling system. The room service, restaurant, and cleaning staff were all friendly and helpful.

I was a last minute booking and amazingly, despite being otherwise fully booked, they offered me the long-closed discount conference rate for my room when an unrelated cancelation came in and allowed me to jump off the waiting list.

The area is notably expensive, but I was pleased to find an excellent Whole Foods and a huge range of restaurant options within 5-10 minutes walk from the front door of the hotel. The High Street Tube station was also just a short walk down the block.

Of course Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park (as well as the Palace, the Serpentine, Albert Hall, and many other landmarks) are close and readily accessible for exploring.

Room Tip: Take care to ask for a quiet, garden- or rear-facing room to save yourself from the 24/7 noise of Hi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank cb4444
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback and for your lovely comments. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed so much your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel, especially our convenient location surrounded by Kensington’s many attractions. I am also very happy to learn that you found the staff to be ‘friendly and helpful’ and that you liked the layout of your room. I am glad to know that our staff were able to move you to a quieter room, despite the hotel being fully booked.

Warm regards,

Capital of the World
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Great location - conveniently next to shops, Whole foods, a tube station and the Kensington park. They even made a small map of the park with routes for your run.
Cleaning staff is the best. I think they have a system were every person is assigned to the same rooms for that week, which makes you bump into the same lady everyday. Making her recognize you and creating a personal touch to the hotel that puts a smile on your face.
Lots of different options at breakfast.
Yoga classes provided are worth attending. Shame the "spa" and sauna area are so poorly designed, old and smelly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Royal Garden Hotel, especially the location of the hotel in fashionable Kensington, the service delivered by our Housekeeping team and the great variety at breakfast.

I appreciate your comments regarding the Health Club. We are in the planning process of improving our Health Club and hope to finalise our plans soon to the benefit of the hotel and all its guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

On business travel for 4 nights - what a great experience. The staff is very friendly and service oriented - trying to find different ways to 'go out of their way' to provide excellent customer service.
5 days and each filled with excellent service. Room service always delivered promptly. I liked the food in all three on-site places, especially on the 10th floor with a great view.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view - you can probably see Kensington Palace. The city view on the high floor is...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed in the Royal Garden Hotel for 10 days. I had a King size Suite Room with views over Kensington Park. It was fabulous. If I leant forward at the far end of my windows and looked back across the Park could see Kensington Palace. It was lovely to be in London and have Royalty as my neighbours! It is a very conveniently located hotel with about a 7 minute walk each to either The Royal Albert Hall or the Kensington Hight Street Tube Station (but in different directions). The staff at this hotel were really helpful, polite, courteous and friendly. The gym is oddly located and doesn't have much in the way of weight equipment, but it has a number of cardio machines and plenty of mats, rollers, kettle bells, free weights etc for a great workout. Shame it only opens at 9 am on a Sunday though! I only ate at the ground floor restaurant once - for breakfast, and it was lovely (grilled Kippers - which for some reason I only seem to eat in the UK), and I had room service one other morning - and it was HUGE! I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and I will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get one overlooking Kensington Park
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the views from your suite overlooking Kensington Gardens and that you would be happy to recommend the Royal Garden Hotel. I am also very happy to learn that you found the hotel conveniently located and the staff to be ‘helpful, polite, courteous and friendly’.

I appreciate your comments in regards to the Health Club, we are currently in the planning process of developing the facilities and your comments will be certainly included as part of the discussion.

Best regards,