“Low ceilings, plenty to drink”
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Royal Garden Hotel
Ranked #91 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Luxurious and pleasant London hotel ... not your usual British stuffy old room with mildewy carpet, but everything shiny and new and tasteful and practical. See photos. Tiny elevators and low ceilings still provide evidence one is in the UK. But at least plenty of hot water! Top notch location on Kensington high street, where all the restaurants have extortionate prices, and Kensington park, where a stroll is for free. Staff was friendly and efficient.

The British propensity to alcoholism is properly supported here with full sized wine bottles in the minibar and the option to have a bar with a selection of open liquor bottles served in your room (at a price). Never seen this somewhere else before.

Good meeting facilities in the basement also for larger groups, regrettably no windows there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel. I am especially happy to learn that you liked the style of the hotel, the customer service provided by the team and our meeting facilities. I am also very happy to hear that you liked the convenient location of the hotel near Kensington’s many attractions.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

The Royal Garden Hotel isn't far from High Street Kensington tub station, on the corner of Kensington Park and very close to a number of lovely restaurants - so an all round great location.
The hotel itself is very clean and modern with efficient front desk staff making our check in (and out) very speedy indeed. Our room was superb, fantastic bathroom - personal spa style shower and lovely products to use in the bubble bath.
We stayed on a Bed and Breakfast basis so had breakfast on each of the 3 mornings we stayed at the hotel. Service was fantastic on the first morning, attentive but not overbearing. Plenty of hot coffee and beautifully prepared poached eggs, just as I like them. But on the second and third morning whilst the food was ok the service was mediocre and now what I was expecting (especially taking into account our first mornings experience).
We were staying as Disney Vacation Members so it is always the case that we compare Disney service to that of the hotels. No comparison in our view, this was simply because of the lack of consistency which Disney are able to achieve every time.
Shame, but have to say, we would still stay again - if only to take advantage of the location.
You will enjoy you stay here, but the service could improve...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 986Zoe

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you liked your ‘superb’ room, that you liked your bathroom and that you enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel, here in leafy Kensington.

I am however sorry to hear your comments in regards to your breakfast experience on the second and third mornings. I apologise for any inconvenience caused and I have passed on your comments to our Food & Beverage Director who will look into and follow up with the teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I recently spent five nights at this hotel during a trip combining business with pleasure. Prior to my arrival I had sent an email requesting a room on a high floor overlooking the Gardens. The receptionist spent a very good fifteen minutes (apologising for the time it was taking as she did so) to find me a suitable room and I was delighted with the result - a spacious room on the 7th floor with a direct view over the Gardens and Kensington Palace. The location of this hotel is brilliant, with a wide variety of restaurants a couple of minutes away and lots of shops, not to mention the pleasure of a peaceful stroll in the Gardens. Easy access to anywhere is ensured by the several buses which stop immediately outside and the tube is a couple of minutes away. I cannot comment on the breakfast as I only had coffee on the days I was there.Two other personal touches also counted for me: the lady who cleaned my room who reminded me that I should drink the mineral water in the fridge which was complimentary and, best of all, following my departure when I sent a mail asking about the shampoo supplied in the bathroom which I had used and loved (Penhaligon's) not only did I get a very prompt and thorough reply about this relatively trivial matter, but samples arrived on my doorstep in France a few days later.

Room Tip: Send an email before you get there describing what you would like - it worked perfectly for me
Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Gabrielle S
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, especially the views from your room overlooking Kensington Gardens, the customer service provided by our team and the convenient location of the hotel near Kensington’s many attractions.

I hope you enjoy the Penhaligon’s samples we sent you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

On a quick visit we wanted somewhere special for afternoon tea. This turned out to be a really good choice. The terrace overlooks the park, it is comfortable, not too grand to be intimidating but enough to be special. Tea excellent. A well judged selection of sandwiches, delightful cake, lovely delicacies and scones with jam and clotted cream. Carefully served by friendly courteous staff..it made a lovely afternoon.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John73_11
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Afternoon Tea experience at Park Terrace Restaurant. I am delighted to hear that you liked the selection of teas, sandwich, cakes and scones, the customer service provided by our team and the beautiful surroundings overlooking the park.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Pleased we didnt pay full price for this stay.
Hotel location excellent
We had a main road facing room on 2nd floor (217) and it was extremely noisy on Saturday night (Friday was OK)- it overlooked a bus stop which was noisy even at 3am but (as a previous reviewer stated) the main problem was the night club in the basement full of revellers smoking and shouting outside. It sounded like the window was open - it wasnt!!
Breakfast was OK but not 5* - cold baked beans, poor quality sausages and generally average food (we were late down (9.45am) so expect food had been standing a while). Continental breakfast much better although did temporarily run out of items on the saturday
Staff all good and helpful

Room Tip: Dont accept a street facing room - especially on a saturday night!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel here in leafy Kensington.

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was disturbed by the noise coming from the street. Unfortunately our central London location does mean that there will be noise from passers-by. We are looking at every way of trying to reduce this. We always endeavour to offer our mews view or higher floors which are very quiet but I hope you can understand that when the hotel is busy, this is not always possible. Please do not hesitate to contact any member of our night team next time, who will be more than happy to deal with this issue.

I am also sorry to hear that you didn't find your breakfast experience to be up to our usual 5-Star standard, I have passed on your comments to our Food & Beverage Director who will be monitoring the food standards closely.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

The Royal Garden is set at the end of Kensington High Street , and on the edge of the park, so there is plenty to do, around and about. The hotel is excellent . the rooms were spacious, even for a double room and the bathroom was huge by London hotel standards. We didn't upgrade to a full English breakfast because there was so much choice with the Continental buffet. All the food was good quality and plenty of it. The waiter on our first morning was really polite and offered fresh orange juice and toast without having to be asked , but on the second morning we had a woman, who just seemed to want to clear tables, (at a slow pace )and we had nearly finished breakfast and I had to asked for toast and then I had to ask for fresh orange. I must say there is plenty of juices to help yourself with, from Grapefruit to apple juice, The pillows were too soft for me, but the next day I asked for firmer ones and they sent some up to the room straight away. We got a very good deal on this Hotel through Debenhams Box office, it even had Theatre tickets in with the deal .

Room Tip: just a lovely hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DIANE59

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel. I am especially happy to learn that you liked the views and the size of your room, our breakfast selection and the convenient location of the hotel near Kensington’s many attractions.

I am however sorry to hear that your breakfast experience wasn't as good on the second day as it was on the first one, I apologise for any inconvenience caused or if you feel that any member of the staff didn't offer the service that you expected.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I chose average because it is billed as a five star hotel and priced as one... But there are a lot better ones around and certainly not far away. The food is very average, often overdone. Room service is fast and friendly but cold and tiny too. The gym is a bit dilapidated and had more personal trainers than gym users making it feel overcrowded and a guest somewhat unwelcomed. The showers were on the cool side. And air in is very noisy.

There are pluses of course but you pay for them. Nice big rooms, comfy bed, great views, good location. All in all average.

Room Tip: Go for a garden view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Graham B, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your recent stay with us didn't meet your expectations. I apologise for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

I am also sorry to hear your comments in regards to the quality of our food. I have passed your remarks to the Food & Beverage Director who will be monitoring the food standards closely.

I would like to let you know that we are in the planning process of undertaking a refurbishment in our Health Club and we hope to finalise our plans later this year to the benefit of the hotel and all its guests.

We are proud of our recent hotel refurbishment which we believe offers an enhanced service whilst maintaining competitive prices en par with other London 5 star hotels.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back.

Kind regards,