“Nothing Royal about the Royal Garden Hotel”
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Royal Garden Hotel
Ranked #90 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Gainesville, Florida
“Nothing Royal about the Royal Garden Hotel”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

While the location is good, everything else about the Royal Garden Hotel is below average. I stayed at this property for business reasons. It is located about 5 minutes from the High Street Kennington Tube station, and it is close to the museums and parks. Initially, I was excited about staying at this hotel. I come to London several times per year, and I enjoyed the idea of staying at a new property. Unfortunately, I ended up being very disappointed.

The initial clue about my stay occurred when I arrived, and no one came to help me with my luggage. The staff all seemed to run to the Middle Eastern customers, and they ignore the other guests. I had the same experience when I went to check in. I stood at the front desk waiting to check in, but all of the staff walked away, went to help people who arrived after I did, or talked on their personal cell phones. When the manager came over, he asked one of the staff to help me, and the employee said that she would help me after she finished her personal phone call. I have never seen this occur before at a hotel.

The room was clean but very small. Finally, I asked to check out at 12:30pm since I had a meeting that ended at noon, and I wanted to freshen up prior to departing. The hotel would not accommodate my request, and would not allow even an extra 30 minutes.

For the price that the Royal Garden Hotel charges, I expect much better service. While internet came with the room, the room rate of over $500 did not include breakfast. There are lots of hotels in London, and I would highly recommend finding another property. I will not stay at this property again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank MDDad
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your recent stay with us didn't meet your expectations.

First of all, I would like to apologise if during your check-in any member of the staff didn't offer the service that you expected. I have passed on your comments to our Front Office Manger for her to look into and follow up with the teams as the situation you experienced was clearly not up to the usual 5-star standard of service. Please can I ask you to email feedback@royalgardenhotel.co.uk so I can find out more regarding your comments of staff using their phones at the front desk? This is something that I think may have been misinterpreted, as our team are clearly not allowed to use their personal phone calls at the desk. Neither I nor our Front Office Manager have ever witnessed or heard of this happening previously.

I am sorry to hear that you felt your room wasn’t very spacious. Just to let you know for future reference, we do offer a variety of room categories for all occasions. I am also sorry that we couldn't offer you a late check-out but I hope you can understand that when the hotel is busy it is sometimes a challenge to ensure guests checkout on time, and that we clean the rooms in preparation for the next guests.

I am glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel, surrounded by Kensington’s many attractions and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Royal Garden one day.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Lowrey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

It is easy to run out of superlatives for this hotel our one night stay which was exquisite. From the moment we entered everything was first class. We had pre theatre dinner and breakfast both of which were first class. Our room which overlooked the park was so comfortable and luxurious, the bed was big and so supportive but above all it had deep feather pillows which are so much better than the dreadful foam ones which we so often come across.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the park on the 8th floor which was superb, lovely views, quiet, ideal. I...
1 Thank Patricia W
Reading
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The hotel is ok for a night. It's clean and basic. We had a double room, but the bed is a SMALL DBL, so unless you love snuggling all night with your partner or are hobbits, it's not big enough for 2 adults. The room was quite small and the water didn't get hot enough to have a nice soak in the bath.
It's over priced (£230) and quite pretentious from the outside, but I definitely would not rate it as 5* or even a 4*
But the location is great. 5 mins walk from High St Kensington tube station, good shopping area. That's the only bonus.
Don't think I'll be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: no helpful tips I'm afraid
3 Thank blumoonbat
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies if your overall experience didn’t meet your expectations. I am sorry to hear that the water temperature of the bath wasn’t warm enough – I have forwarded your comments to our Technical Services Manager to investigate.

I appreciate your comments in regards to the bed size; however I believe that you booked a Queen Room which is for single occupancy. Our King Rooms are designed for double occupancy and feature 27 SQM beds.

I’m glad you found the hotel to have a great location.

West Vancouver
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

An ideal location.
Reservation (on-line) efficiently handled with prompt confirmation. Reception was warm and courteous. The reserved room was not ready (we arrived early) and were accommodated in a similar room on a lower floor without the "garden view".
Spotlessly clean, well equipped, quiet and very comfortable. Faultless service. Clearly, a well-managed property. Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank BlighWestVancouver
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Room very good with spectacular views over Kensington Gardens. However, we are feeling very ripped-off!
We booked through a Trip Advisor offer because it clearly stated that breakfast was included, but the hotel refused to honour this, apparently because we booked more than 21 days beforehand. Breakfast is £25 a head.
This is clear misrepresentation by either the hotel or Trip Advisor, and according to the staff on reception this is not the first time this has happened.
The "reception manager" was adamant that it was our fault and in the end we gave up arguing. For the amount of cost to the hotel of providing breakfast it would have been good customer practice to apologise for any confusion and to honour the breakfast offer. Instead, we were met with a very arrogant attitude. This is very poor customer relations indeed!
We will not book this hotel again and will treat Trip Advisor "offers" with extreme suspicion in the future.

4 Thank Judy D
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your recent stay with us.

I have been investigating these issues further and I believe that I have now a full understanding of the causes of this situation. When you clicked the Special Offer link on top of this page, you were directed to our website. On our website, as a default, we always have the ‘check availability’ red box on the top right of the page. Since the TripAdvisor offer is a special offer, there is a ‘book now’ button on the page itself, after the description of the offer.

Because you booked through the ‘Check availability’ box instead of the TripAdvisor button, you booked our Early Bird offer, that doesn’t include breakfast. Hopefully this makes sense, as it is complicated to explain.

After looking into this issue, we realised that this is not entirely clear and can be misunderstood. We are looking at ways to change this to avoid this situation being repeated in the future. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I would really appreciate if you could contact us at feedback@royalgardenhotel.co.uk, in order for us to contact you personally.

We look forward to hearing from you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Great 5 star hotel centrally located near the high street, over looking the Kensington gardens and close to the Museum. Very helpful staff, rooms have been refurbished. A very comfortable stay. Very good for value.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, have a room on the back facing the Kensington Palace
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted you hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel. I am especially happy to learn that you liked your room, the customer service provided by our team and the convenient location of the hotel, surrounded by Kensington’s many attractions.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,

Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have tried many of the five star hotels in London but still rate this at the top. The rooms have been refurbished and are really comfortable. The new walk in shower is the best we have experienced and beds are top quality. We have stayed in rooms overlooking the Kensington Gardens (lovely views) and also overlooking Kensington High Streety and recommend both. Not been disturbed by traffic noise. Breakfasts are excellent and would recommend afternoon tea. 24 hour flash deals are good value.

Room Tip: The higher up you go the quieter the rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen R
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had a nice stay overall and that you especially enjoyed the room features, the views from your room overlooking Kensington Gardens and your breakfast and afternoon tea experience at Park Terrace.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.