“Superb”

Ranked #94 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Booked this hotel for a belated wedding anniversary celebration. We were upgraded from a King room to a King room with garden view room for free. Great location, great service. Absolutely nothing to complain about!

1 Thank Mark O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

It's a huge hotel, always very crowed, but with excellent service, a wonderful cost/benefit relationship and a very friendly staff, that is constantly at your service. One additional thing, however: THE ACCOMMODATIONS ARE SENSATIONAL in what concerts comfort, space, room amenities and VIEWS if you are turned to the Royal Garden.

Room Tip: Royal Garen view, floor from 4th to above
1 Thank LSARJBR
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I find myself having to head up to London every 4 to 6 weeks. I used to stay at the Mandarin Oriental or Intercontinental, but after a while you realize that the 200 pounds plus you often save per night staying at the Royal Garden can be quite useful in London.

The Royal Garden is clean and comfortable, the staff are excellent as is the location. The Chinese restaurant is first class. Breakfast is similar to the Intercontinental - not even close to the Mandarin but at less than half the price you can't complain.

There is a Starbucks directly opposite if you don't want Breakfast.

I haven't used the Gym in a while, but I seem to remember it wasn't impressive, but I am not working out in London I am eating and drinking.

Overall I would say the Royal Garden is a bargain in London.

1 Thank Andrew B
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent. It's close access to Kensington/High St Tube station makes it easy to get to other districts. Nothing to brag about here but it is clean and the service was quite good. Biggest issue was the mattresses were hard as rocks and the pillows overly soft. We were here for 10 nights and the room is so small that you can't relax in it comfortably. Some of our friends had 2 twin beds pushed together and it was uncomfortable for them. We had a King size bed and if the mattress wasn't like a brick it would have helped.

I would most likely check out other hotels in the same neighborhood to see how they compare price wise prior to booking here again just for the location.

1 Thank racetravlr
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you liked the cleanliness, the customer service provided by our team and the convenient location of the hotel, here in leafy Kensington.

I am however sorry to hear that you found your mattress to be too hard. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have passed on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper for her to look into and include in her investigations. We have also (available upon request) different types of pillows, so next time please do not hesitate to contact any member of the staff to report any issues. We always strive to maintain 5-star standards of service and no issue is too small to investigate to ensure our guests receive the best experience possible.

In regards to your friend’s bed comments, we do have a majority of non-split king size beds and a small amount of king size beds that can be split into twins. We always try our best to meet everyone’s requirement but I hope you can understand that when the hotel is busy this is sometimes a challenge.

Once again, I apologise if your overall experience wasn’t up to our usual 5-star standard of service.

Warm regards,

Southampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for a family wedding. Originally we booked a king room but on arrival we were upgraded to a very large room on the tenth floor which was very comfortable and would have been more expensive. Had we stayed in the room originally booked, some of our party were in similar rooms, I would have felt it was poor value for money.
The hotel is very functional and lacks the character of a true 5* hotel. You could be in any city anywhere in the world. Breakfast, not included in the room rate, at £25 is expensive, but on the upside there are some very good places to eat in the vicinity.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
Would I stay there again? Probably not, it just didn't do it for me.

Room Tip: Best not to overlook Kensington High Street, it's very noisy
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank David L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies if your overall stay experience didn’t meet your expectations. Our rooms have recently been refurbished with improved and modern features. We are proud of our recent hotel refurbishment which we believe offers an enhanced service whilst maintaining competitive prices en par with other London 5 star hotels.

I am happy you found our team to be friendly and helpful.

Kind regards,

Gainesville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

While the location is good, everything else about the Royal Garden Hotel is below average. I stayed at this property for business reasons. It is located about 5 minutes from the High Street Kennington Tube station, and it is close to the museums and parks. Initially, I was excited about staying at this hotel. I come to London several times per year, and I enjoyed the idea of staying at a new property. Unfortunately, I ended up being very disappointed.

The initial clue about my stay occurred when I arrived, and no one came to help me with my luggage. The staff all seemed to run to the Middle Eastern customers, and they ignore the other guests. I had the same experience when I went to check in. I stood at the front desk waiting to check in, but all of the staff walked away, went to help people who arrived after I did, or talked on their personal cell phones. When the manager came over, he asked one of the staff to help me, and the employee said that she would help me after she finished her personal phone call. I have never seen this occur before at a hotel.

The room was clean but very small. Finally, I asked to check out at 12:30pm since I had a meeting that ended at noon, and I wanted to freshen up prior to departing. The hotel would not accommodate my request, and would not allow even an extra 30 minutes.

For the price that the Royal Garden Hotel charges, I expect much better service. While internet came with the room, the room rate of over $500 did not include breakfast. There are lots of hotels in London, and I would highly recommend finding another property. I will not stay at this property again.

7 Thank MDDad
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your recent stay with us didn't meet your expectations.

First of all, I would like to apologise if during your check-in any member of the staff didn't offer the service that you expected. I have passed on your comments to our Front Office Manger for her to look into and follow up with the teams as the situation you experienced was clearly not up to the usual 5-star standard of service. Please can I ask you to email feedback@royalgardenhotel.co.uk so I can find out more regarding your comments of staff using their phones at the front desk? This is something that I think may have been misinterpreted, as our team are clearly not allowed to use their personal phone calls at the desk. Neither I nor our Front Office Manager have ever witnessed or heard of this happening previously.

I am sorry to hear that you felt your room wasn’t very spacious. Just to let you know for future reference, we do offer a variety of room categories for all occasions. I am also sorry that we couldn't offer you a late check-out but I hope you can understand that when the hotel is busy it is sometimes a challenge to ensure guests checkout on time, and that we clean the rooms in preparation for the next guests.

I am glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel, surrounded by Kensington’s many attractions and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Royal Garden one day.

Kind regards,

Knutsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

It is easy to run out of superlatives for this hotel our one night stay which was exquisite. From the moment we entered everything was first class. We had pre theatre dinner and breakfast both of which were first class. Our room which overlooked the park was so comfortable and luxurious, the bed was big and so supportive but above all it had deep feather pillows which are so much better than the dreadful foam ones which we so often come across.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the park on the 8th floor which was superb, lovely views, quiet, ideal. I...
1 Thank Patricia W