“Tip: open shampoo before you get in the shower”
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Royal Garden Hotel
Ranked #97 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Curacao
“Tip: open shampoo before you get in the shower”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My key tip for this hotel: the finicky little shampoo bottle is impossible to open if your fingers are wet so make sure you open them before you get in.

My only complaint: why do they use such cheap, thing, tracing-paper-ish toilet paper? And what is the weird talcum powder stuff doing on it?

This is a nice hotel, a popular business stop and a great location with everything you might possibly need just outside your door from Ken High Street itself, to the Tube, to Hyde Park. Before OneFineStay launched in London this was where I always stayed and I had another very pleasant stay this time.

I can also strongly recommend the physio's downstairs, in case you're in need.

2 Thank PhlashPhlash
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel.

I appreciate your comments in regards to the toilet paper and shampoo bottle, I have passed on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper for her to look into and review accordingly. I also appreciate your positive comments in regards to our masseuse; I have forwarded her your comments and she was very happy and satisfied to hear that you would recommend her to others.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Jonathan Lowrey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 12 June 2014

That's it, you pay mostly for the location, which is Superb!!!
You are not paying for the hotel, which I expected more for the price I payed -King room facing Hyde Park. A little disappointing that on the second floor the view is not that nice; so you ask for an upper floor.
The room is really fancy and nice, good space, tub, bed and great pillows etc... but then the shampoo and little perks are below 5 star hotel...
So kind of contrasting, which I didn't expect for the price. But once you get out and start walking by Kensington Road and Hyde Park, you will forget how much you paid =))))

Room Tip: If you pay for a room facing Hyde Park ask for 3rd floor or above, or you will not have the full vie...
3 Thank Victor B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the convenient location of the hotel, here in leafy Kensington.

I am however sorry you didn’t findd your room amenities to be up to a 5-star standard. I apologise for any disappointment caused; I have passed on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper for her to look into and include in her investigations.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back.

Best regards,

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Booked this hotel for a belated wedding anniversary celebration. We were upgraded from a King room to a King room with garden view room for free. Great location, great service. Absolutely nothing to complain about!

1 Thank Mark O
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 10 June 2014

It's a huge hotel, always very crowed, but with excellent service, a wonderful cost/benefit relationship and a very friendly staff, that is constantly at your service. One additional thing, however: THE ACCOMMODATIONS ARE SENSATIONAL in what concerts comfort, space, room amenities and VIEWS if you are turned to the Royal Garden.

Room Tip: Royal Garen view, floor from 4th to above
1 Thank LSARJBR
Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I find myself having to head up to London every 4 to 6 weeks. I used to stay at the Mandarin Oriental or Intercontinental, but after a while you realize that the 200 pounds plus you often save per night staying at the Royal Garden can be quite useful in London.

The Royal Garden is clean and comfortable, the staff are excellent as is the location. The Chinese restaurant is first class. Breakfast is similar to the Intercontinental - not even close to the Mandarin but at less than half the price you can't complain.

There is a Starbucks directly opposite if you don't want Breakfast.

I haven't used the Gym in a while, but I seem to remember it wasn't impressive, but I am not working out in London I am eating and drinking.

Overall I would say the Royal Garden is a bargain in London.

1 Thank Andrew B
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent. It's close access to Kensington/High St Tube station makes it easy to get to other districts. Nothing to brag about here but it is clean and the service was quite good. Biggest issue was the mattresses were hard as rocks and the pillows overly soft. We were here for 10 nights and the room is so small that you can't relax in it comfortably. Some of our friends had 2 twin beds pushed together and it was uncomfortable for them. We had a King size bed and if the mattress wasn't like a brick it would have helped.

I would most likely check out other hotels in the same neighborhood to see how they compare price wise prior to booking here again just for the location.

1 Thank racetravlr
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you liked the cleanliness, the customer service provided by our team and the convenient location of the hotel, here in leafy Kensington.

I am however sorry to hear that you found your mattress to be too hard. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I have passed on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper for her to look into and include in her investigations. We have also (available upon request) different types of pillows, so next time please do not hesitate to contact any member of the staff to report any issues. We always strive to maintain 5-star standards of service and no issue is too small to investigate to ensure our guests receive the best experience possible.

In regards to your friend’s bed comments, we do have a majority of non-split king size beds and a small amount of king size beds that can be split into twins. We always try our best to meet everyone’s requirement but I hope you can understand that when the hotel is busy this is sometimes a challenge.

Once again, I apologise if your overall experience wasn’t up to our usual 5-star standard of service.

Warm regards,

Southampton
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for a family wedding. Originally we booked a king room but on arrival we were upgraded to a very large room on the tenth floor which was very comfortable and would have been more expensive. Had we stayed in the room originally booked, some of our party were in similar rooms, I would have felt it was poor value for money.
The hotel is very functional and lacks the character of a true 5* hotel. You could be in any city anywhere in the world. Breakfast, not included in the room rate, at £25 is expensive, but on the upside there are some very good places to eat in the vicinity.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
Would I stay there again? Probably not, it just didn't do it for me.

Room Tip: Best not to overlook Kensington High Street, it's very noisy
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank David L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies if your overall stay experience didn’t meet your expectations. Our rooms have recently been refurbished with improved and modern features. We are proud of our recent hotel refurbishment which we believe offers an enhanced service whilst maintaining competitive prices en par with other London 5 star hotels.

I am happy you found our team to be friendly and helpful.

Kind regards,