“Mixed Feelings”
Review of Royal Garden Hotel

Royal Garden Hotel
Ranked #91 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Having seen the various good and bad reviews we thought we would have a change from our usual choice of London hotel.
We checked in (not particularly a very friendly reception) and were given a room on the third floor 303, but we were not happy with the view, considering we were there for 3 days, the view of the ugly roof of the adjacent building, the air conditioning units and the park in the distance was not exactly what we imagined. We asked to be moved, but were curtly told that they were fully booked and everybody had already checked in - at 3.00pm in the afternoon!! and there was nothing they could do. Not happy with this we thought we would check out and on saying this, a friendlier person called us and told us we could move the next day to a 9th floor room, which we did. Although this room had a better view it still is not what we would have thought a five star room should be, dirty stains on the carpet, poor tea and coffee supplies, no biscuits, no sugar ?? just poor room checking. Also the air conditioning is extremely noisy.

We were shocked at the price of breakfast and therefore ate out in several local coffee shops so cannot comment on the restaurant. I think the price of just over £250 per night justifies having breakfast thrown in, even if just Continental. However we did have room service 2 nights and this was very good and served in the room by very friendly staff and we thought that this was good value, so it is difficult to see why they charge such a high price for breakfast.

Staff generally were very good, particularly the Concierge staff, and the room service staff.

Mixed feelings really about this hotel, don't think we would stay here again as think it warrants a 4 star rating but charging 5 star prices.

Room Tip: Higher floor, better views.
3  Thank phoenix201109
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel didn’t meet your expectations.

First of all, I would like to apologise for any disappointment caused or if any member of the team didn’t offer the service that you expected. I would really appreciate if you could contact us at feedback@royalgardenhotel.co.uk with your 9th floor room number so we can check the room to ensure the facilities are up to our usual 5-star standards.

I am also sorry that you found our breakfast to be expensive; we are constantly reviewing our prices to ensure we offer an enhanced service whilst maintaining competitive prices on par with other 5-Star London hotels. But please accept my apologies, once again, if you felt this to be otherwise.

I am glad you enjoyed the customer service provided by our Concierge and Room Service teams.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for one night and fell in love. Absolutely gorgeous room with a beautiful view of Kensington Gardens. All the lovely were friendly, polite and helpful - no complaints. We decided to have lunch at Min Jiang, the Chinese restaurant at the top of the hotel, and it was truly one of the meals I've ever had. Great location, would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ANE16319
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel, especially the customer service provided by our team, your lunch at Min Jiang Restaurant and the convenient location of the hotel, here in Kensington.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Royal Garden is in a great location right on the Kensington High Street. Its a no nonsense top drawer 5* hotel and it does it well. Since my last visit it has been refurb and is perhaps less old world comfy and more professional and business. Either way works.

Rooms are good in most cases, the ones at the front are noisy and the view is poor but most are good. Our room had a lovely view of Hyde Park with a seating area on a raised floor to give the best view. Room was good all round, great shower too which is a big review point for me.

Bar was great but pricey but then look where you are!! Breakfast excellent. Service great.

All in all - well recommended...

Room Tip: Avoid low floors on the front of the hotel. The 2nd floor at the front is terrible. Go for the...
1  Thank Ian T

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room, the customer service provided by the team and the convenient location of the hotel, surrounded by Kensington’s many attractions.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Many of you know London hotels are so over rated with poor staff, service and ambiance but not this one. Right from check-in to departure, truly now this will be my hotel of choice in this area of London. Décor and service 1st class, views over the park, quiet and attention to detail in all they do.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have visited yesterday the hotel for a business meeting with my new business partner. He was staying at the hotel and i was arriving with some lugagge from my week abroad.

I have arrived to the hotel at 16h20 and i went to the reception.
I have explained that i was coming for a business meeting with an hotel guest and i have requested to store my luggage.

I was directed in a very polite way to the concierge and he took my luggage into the restaurant area. Left it on the floor and went to back concierge.

At the entrance of the restaurant, the staff working there immediatly refuse to store my luggage.
- communicartion Failure between the hotel staff

I have further insisted in a solution and then they requested that I would call my business partner and identify his room number which I did and they still refuse to store the luggage.

I took my luggage into the restaurant, next to a table and i requested to write a complaint. She immediately became very concerned and offered to store a small backpack that I had with me.
I was no interested anymore.

Shortly after, the concierge manager approaches me and asks for information. I have explained my disapointment with the service. The explanation provided included: proximity to embassies, security rules and hotel manager direct policies.

I have answered that if this is case then the manager will not have a problem in reading what i will have to write.
The concierge manager left.
After my meeting with my colleague, I approached the same restaurant team member and asked for the complain book. She mentioned that there wasn't any book or any sort of platform to write my complain and that I have already expressed my concerns previously with the concierge.
For that reason, I have expressed my experience through this platform.

Regards,

Miguel

1  Thank Iabna Miguel M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear about the issue you experienced with your luggage. First of all, I would like to apologise for any disappointment caused or if any member of the team didn’t offer the service that you expected.

Our policy like most London hotels is that we don’t store luggage from non-residents due to security concerns. However, I would like to let you know that we are reviewing our policy, as clearly this inconvenienced your hotel experience and that of your business partner.

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. It is through such feedback that we are able to address any areas that require attention, with the aim of improving the quality of our service.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The traffic is really bad in London so I love staying here. I can walk to shopping and dining easily. I love the 3 story Whole Foods down the street, it's awesome! Anyway, I have been staying at this hotel since the early 1980's. It has undergone renovation while the neighborhood has changed somewhat and lost a little bit of the charm it had but still very good service and nice rooms. If you get on the park side the view is wonderful! It's a little pricey but that's London for you.

Room Tip: park view side of the hotel and higher floor is better.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank allnamestakengeez
Jonathan L, General Manager at Royal Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Royal Garden Hotel, especially the view from your room overlooking Kensington Gardens, the customer service provided by our team and the convenient location of the hotel, surrounded by Kensington’s many attractions.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Garden Hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My family and I just stayed 4 nights at the Royal Garden and we all were very pleased with the excellent service from a highly trained staff. The rooms were very comfortable and the breakfast buffet was indeed delicious. I had to use the business center to check in for our next flights and the staff was very helpful and the service free of charge. We had many strolls in Kensignton Gardens and Hyde Park and there are plenty of restaurants in close vicinity.The only downside of the Royal Garden is to have to pay an outrageous 20 pounds for internet....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had a nice stay overall and that you especially liked the customer service provided by our team, the comfort of your room and the convenient location of the hotel, here in leafy Kensington.

However, I was disappointed to know that you felt our Wi-Fi charges were too high. We do offer complimentary Wi-Fi to all guests who book directly with the hotel (telephone, email and website) and with some preferred agents; but as a general rule it is not included when booking through an online travel agent.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Garden Hotel soon.

Warm regards,