“Ok, but not as good as usual” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #488 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Ok, but not as good as usual”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

I have stayed at the Millennium Gloucester several times in the past, both with my husband and on girls' weekends and I have always had a good experience. The hotel location couldn't be better, 40 minutes on the tube straight in from Heathrow and the hotel is directly outside Gloucester Road station - perfect.
Unfortunately on check-in, we had an issue with our room allocation, we were sent to a room at the far end of the 3rd floor corridor, which was a horrible pokey little room (378 I think). This was on a floor that was being refurbished and it was also a smoking room, which we didn't request (yuck) and weren't asked about. The room didn't exactly smell of smoke, it just didn't smell fresh. We returned to reception and explained the situation to a different member of reception staff - I didn't get his name, but he was a trainee and was an absolute credit to the hotel, he moved our room, without any questions, to a room on the 5th floor, which was a far nicer room and more importantly non-smoking.
I think a good measure of a hotel is how they handle issues, this was extremely well handled and we were pleased with our new room. However, I also think that a bit of common sense was lacking - surely rooms on a floor that is being refurbished should only be allocated to guests if there are no other available rooms, which there clearly were and guests should definitely not be put in smoking rooms if they haven't specifically requested one.
We ordered room service breakfast on both mornings of our stay. The food was lovely, we were very impressed that everything was both fresh and hot when it arrived at our room - not always the case with room service.
The hotel in general is lovely and very well maintained, the staff are friendly and efficient and the location really couldn't be better. The problem with our room is the first we've encountered in many stays and was well resolved, we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IGibson, Guest Relations Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 24 March 2011
Dear LSPAberdeen_Scotland,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review of our Hotel. I am sorry to hear about the issue you experienced on check-in, but thankfully our trainee appears to have handled the situation well and I will be sure to pass on your comments to him. As you have quite rightly pointed out, that particular floor is going through a refurbishment programme which is almost complete, as we are aware of the challenges presented by those bedrooms and are committed to constantly improving our product. I'm glad you also enjoyed our breakfast offer, and the level of service provided in general.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you book with us so that I may personally ensure you have a perfect stay.

ivan.gibson@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

I don't know whether we just had good luck but everything as top class. The location is fantastic, the foyer lovely, the receptionist checking us in knew what she was doing (for a change in London), the room was free upgraded (classy), the breakfast was very good. All in all an excellent hotel in London.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Dear MadeleineGifkins,

Thank you for posting your review of the Millennium Gloucester Hotel. I'm glad to see you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and all aspects of our property including the service and location. I hope we will have the opportunity to provide you with the same great experience in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

We both went out and slept in town to celebrate our anniversary around Valentines time and found this hotel on route.
My first impression was that outside and inside it just looked stunning. From the reception to their facilities and bedroom, The environment is a great balance between classic and modern, especially the conservatory area.
It is such a shame we only stayed a couple of nights, rapidly staff got friendly and really knew how to look after us. If it was possible, I would award this hotel 6 Stars.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IGibson, Guest Relations Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 17 March 2011
Dear nicolondon1983,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm delighted you and your partner chose to stay with us on your special occasion and I sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. I will also ensure your fantastic praise is passed on to all the staff of the hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to stay with us in the near future and it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

Just got back from a 6 night stay here from 3/1/11 to 3/7/11.

It was an excellent experience to say the least.

First off, yes the hotel is extremely conveniently located. It's right across the street, and you get access to the Piccadilly, District and Circle lines.

Secondly, the rooms are impeccably clean and quite spacious. I experienced both the standard and executive club rooms, the former for two nights and the latter for four nights.

I booked the standard room, but was upgraded for free. Apparently the hotel was going to undergo some construction near my previous room, so I was moved to the top floor (8th).

The single beds are small, but comfortable. The towels were huge, and the marble bathrooms were provided with toiletries that were replenished daily. This goes for both types of rooms. The executive club room had an additional U.S. outlet, which was nice, though I had brought two converters. The bathroom in the executive club room also had a bidet and extra sink. You can only get electricity with your card in the standard room, but not for the executive club room, which always has electricity.

I got access to the club lounge after my upgrade and enjoyed the daily full English breakfasts. They were buffets that included, but were not limited to, sausages, scrambled eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, sometimes mushrooms, smoked salmon, assortments of cereal and yogurt, fresh fruit, croissants and bread. Complimentary drinks included bottled water, still and sparkling, orange juice, apple juice, tea and bottled cokes. There was also an espresso machine. These drinks were always available. It was nice that breakfast ended at 10:30; you could sleep in and still get breakfast!

From 6:30-10 pm there were complimentary evening hors d'oeuvres in the lounge which varied everyday. The hotel description is "a variety of Asian and Mediterranean delicatessen served along with a selection of red and white wines" as well as champagne.

Also there was free Wi-fi in the lounge, so I just went there to check my email, etc. Beyond that you are allowed one guest in the club lounge.

Although the hotel lists charges for using the telephone, I was not charged for making calls within London, though I did limit mine to less than 5 minutes. Similarly, while they do charge for printing, I was not charged for printing anything if it was under one page and kept to a minimum.

I arrived rather early and had to wait an hour to check-in, but did end up checking in at noon, which is two hours before the normal check-in time.

The concierge was extremely helpful, and the doormen were very nice. All in all, I loved the hotel, service, food - everything! I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank missxmelon
IGibson, Guest Relations Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Dear missxmelon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your very informative review and photos of the Millennium Gloucester Hotel. I am glad to read that you had such an enjoyable stay, and that you took full advantage of our facilities and services, which i trust exceeded your expectations.

I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

We stayed at this hotel in October 2010 and February 2011. The first time we stayed we paid extra for "Club Level" Room which included a very good breakfast in a cozy private dining room. Club level rate also included tea/coffee and soft drinks throughout the day (but we didn't take advantage of this as we were out exploring). I think it also includes complimentary drinks in the dining room around 5pm, but we never went, you would have to confirm this with hotel. We stayed in a "regular" room in February 2011, and to our happy surprise it had a king bed, and we found a fantastic rate of £91/night - which was a great bargain for London! We didn't miss the breakfast, as we walked across the street every morning to a French cafe called Paul to have delicious baguettes, quiches, and cafe au lait, which was also cost effective. The hotel is conveniently located in the beautiful bourough of Kensington, you can walk to many museums and Hyde Park, and the Gloucester Road Tube stop is right across the street. It is an average, decent hotel in a great location - just keep your eyes open for good rates, and it is really worthwhile.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IGibson, Guest Relations Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
Dear arsenalfans ,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Millennium Gloucester Hotel. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed staying with us and decided to book with us again on a return trip to London. You are indeed correct in regards to the Club Lounge, where we host an evening cocktail for Club Guests, in addition to the complimentary breakfast, from 6:30 p.m. until 10 p.m., included in the Millennium Club Room rate.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next stay with us so that I may personally ensure you have a most pleasant stay.

W.yorks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

Stayed at this hotel for a theatre/weekend break with family.The location is great.A 2 minutes walk(if that)from station.All amenities are on your doorstep.Good pubs,restaurants,food chains,Waitrose and Tesco 24 hr express.A very safe and friendly area.The hotel is very well kept,and staff are very attentative to your needs.Buffet breakfast is very good to set you up for the day.Beds very comfy.All in all, I would stay and recommend this hotel to anyone!!P.S.Can recommend Stanhope Arms,and Hereford Arms for good British food and hand pulled ales with a great friendly atmosphere,and value.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Dear TheYorkshiretwo,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Millennium Gloucester Hotel. I was glad to read you rated our services and facilities so highly, and generally enjoyed the location of the hotel.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Gloucester in the not-too-distant future!

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

Traveling frequently to London I abstained in the past years from staying in the City as the hotels were expensive and had no service at all. As I found some nice hotels outside London that I preferred in the past years, I was not really happy when a customer asked me to stay in a hotel in London City.
We arrived at Heathrow, took the tube to Gloucester Road, and found the hotel just around the corner from the tube station. The outside looks very "practical" and is not really fancy, but inside I was impressed by the kind and warm welcome at the reception (not the typical "you're welcome" you would expect!).
The room was modern and had enough space to work, was quiet and clean. The service was very well organised: when returning from breakfast my room was cleaned and well prepared - within 15 minutes! Even more amazing to me: all staff members I run into were kind and attentive. Traveling a lot I always wonder why hotel staff is not able to say "Hello" when they see you - here everybody greets you in a nice way that makes you feel at home. It seems that the culture in this hotel is somewhat different.
The check-out was done in a few minutes and the bill was correct, which is not usual even in 5 star hotels.
Altogether I can recommend this hotel to everybody that is looking for a hotel in London City that is close to the center of the City and at a tube crossing that allows for easy access to every destination in London. Next door there are some nice restaurants and pubs to enjoy some hours in the evening - the Hyde Park is in walking distance ... so this is an ideal hub for exploring or doing business in London at a reasonable price.
Well, it seems that I have to reconsider my "London hotel policy"!? :-)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business