“Declining rapidly, we won't be back.”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #559 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Millennium Gloucester about 10 times over the last few years and until this year have always been perfectly satisfied with all aspects of our stay. However, we have stayed twice this year and both times have been riddled with issues. At check-in we were advised that we had been 'upgraded' to a club room rather than the standard we had paid for - if room 629 was an upgrade, we would have preferred the standard room, it couldn't have been worse.
The room was a reasonable size and it was clean, however the bathroom was tiny and in desperate need of an upgrade. There was a light above the bath that was loose, the tiles needed regrouted and the sealant round the bath needed replaced. The toiletries were fairly basic, nothing club standard about them.
The TV didn't work properly for our entire stay - we complained 3 times and each time a porter was sent up to fix it, which worked temporarily....until the next time we switched it on. The empty bottles from the minibar were never removed by housekeeping, nor was the minibar ever replenished and twice our key cards didn't work and we had to go to reception with them.
When we called reception about a code for the internet, we were told to charge it to our room, but that it was free in club rooms (we had no way of knowing any of this as there was no hotel directory in our room), however on check-out we were told that we were given a room upgrade, but our experience had not been upgraded, so we were not entitled to any of the perks of a club room. We've never booked a club room before, but all of our previous experiences in standard rooms have been significantly better than this one.
After my last review, the hotel manager asked me to contact him the next time we planned to stay, however I like to be able to recommend hotels I've stayed at and don't feel I can do this if I haven't had a true experience, so I just booked normally. Location is everything for the Gloucester, however there are several other hotels of a similar standard in the area - next time we'll stay in one of those. I believe in giving places a second chance, but that's 2 bad experiences for us, so time to move on.
My advice is, unless you get a good rate, stay elsewhere, this hotel is just not as good as it used to be.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,918)

Reviewed 14 August 2011

The entry is very nice and luxurious. We arrived early for our room and it was not ready but promised within the hour. ( we booked two rooms with single beds). The rooms were American Standard rooms ( which were larger than most of what London offers). We had a view of the side street apartments, as the hotel is on a side street. But VERY centrally located and in a GREAT locations. Close to Glouchester tube station. Good Pub...Stanhope Arms across the street. The rooms were clean. However both hairdryers were broken. (easily remedied, but annoying) The AC control did not have a thermostat, just an on / off switch. I was hot at night. The other room had a temperature control. The person cleaning our room was always doing it late in the day, when I was ready to plop on the bed. I found the service to be "snooty" at the front desk and at the Concierge desk. There were no brochures around the hotel so you HAD to ask the concierge if you wanted anything. The bar service was great! Our waitress was very friendly and welcoming. Food was good. There are no ice vending machines so we had to call room service. The room smelled a little musty as did my linens, b/c of the issues with the AC, I think that was an environmental issue.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Great location next door to the tube station.
Surprisingly quiet.
Room was a good size, much bigger than we thought but we had been upgraded from the basic room and it had a lovely big bath, there were signs of wear - carpet, skirting boards, wallpaper etc. but the bed was comfy and that's all that matters really.
Staff were friendly but didn't really have much interaction with them but they all said hello if you passed them.
Breakfast was OK, the room was very busy but there was a good choice the only problems were that they bought you toast but no side plates and no option of a poached egg or black pudding.
Only downside was the check-in took a good 20 minutes despite there not being much of a queue.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I travel to London every six months and usually prefer to stay with a international branded hotel, like a Marriott or Hilton. However my stay at the Millenium was one to remember because the staff are well trained and friendly. The receptionists both, who checked me in and who checked me out were very helpful and well presented. Credit to the management team as first impressions at the hotel are great. There were issues with airconditioning but the Duty Manager was quick to respond. Definately staying again when I visit London in November 2011.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Excellent value hotel, nice rooms (slightly dated but excellent for the price), very clean, excellent service and location. Downsides are: beds sagging slightly, outrageous internet charges (buy an internet USB from the car phone shop at Kensington High St for a fraction of the price), airconditioning in the gym is never working despite their attempts to fix it (not a problem provided it's not a warm summer day). I would still recommend this hotel because it's such great value for London. Several airline crews also stay here, which is indicative of it being a reasonable standard.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I had previously stayed at this hotel with work and at the time some of my colleagues complained about this hotel but personally I hadn't experienced any issues. However I returned a couple of months later following a special offer through TravelZoo and was thoroughly disappointed.
Upon arrival to the hotel we paid a £50 upgrade to move to a Club Room. Having viewed the room it was much smaller than the one I had on my previous visit (a standard room) whereas my parents who also had an upgrade had a much bigger one. I asked to look at others and was shown two more on the same floor which were exactly the same size and was advised that the rest were fully booked.
We decided to stay with the orignal room and went out for dinner. Returning to the room at night we switched on the light to find water pouring through the spotlight in the ceiling. I phoned reception who advised someone would be with us shortly - 10 mins later I went down to see them and they advised that they were getting someone to fix it - however I insisted that they move us instead on the basis this was not safe. We carted all the luggage to another room to find a bucket in the entrance strategically placed to catch a leak in this room as well. I returned to reception and asked for another room! Finally they found us an accepable room on another floor. At no point during this incident was the Duty Manager to be found he kept his distance in the back office and let the Reception staff handle this. Out of politness I would have expected him to acknowledge the problem.
Unknown to us the Club Lounge was shut and therefore we were advised to go to the Main Bar to order our drinks. 3 G&Ts and one lemonade - as we went to leave we were asked to pay a bill of £33.00 and advised that only a small glass of wine was allowed as part of the Club allowance - at no time was this ever pointed out to us. The was later refunded to us as part of the room issues and we never returned.
This hotel has been doing an awful lot of promotion of late to get custom but it is a real shame that everything seems to be such a shambles once you're there.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Stay here frequently with work.

Huge hotel in a great location.

Food in all associated restaurants is horrible and expensive - plenty of decent alternatives nearby though so no big deal.

Rooms are generally quite large - although some are showing their age and could do with an refurb.

Staff are generally extremely helpful.

Check in could do with some more staff.

Few problems but this could be a great hotel if it made a bit of an effort.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the main road. Early deliveries to nearby shops ruin a night's sleep!