“Great place to stay”

Ranked #505 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Durham
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just returned after a great two night stay at this hotel, with my daughter. The location of this hotel, although a bit outside the main attractions was absolutely great as Gloucester street tube is literally across the road, 30-40 yrds away. Dead easy to get around, and is on the direct line from Kings cross so absolutely fab. We got a taxi from kings cross to hotel, which cost about £20, but had I known how close it was I would definitely have taken the tube.(day roaming ticket on the tube is about £7.20, and takes you everywhere you could want to go up to about 4am in the morning!)
The hotel reception is lovely, very spacious, and clean.(unfortunately the air freshener, they use is really strong, and we found it too overpowering)
The check in was good, and our room was ready when we arrived. The room was a standard room, and it was what it said on the tin. Basic inside, but clean and comfy beds. Only minor criticisms, would be the lighting, which is lamp light, so not great, and also the infuriating lack of plugs, for your telephone charger, etc.
The staff were absolutely excellent, and very accommodating, all without exception were cheerful and very helpful, which made for a great stay.
Breakfast was good and looked to be a good selection, but as I only eat a small amount in a morning I probably did not see all of what was on offer.
We had an evening meal in the sister hotel Olives next door, as part of our DBB package, which was ok, but I wouldn't rush back.
All in all a lovely stay, and I would definitely recommend and return again to this hotel, and will as I travel to London on a regular basis..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear DurhamTeddy

Thank you for your review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay and were satisfied with the service and room stardards, as well as location and breakfast.

Your constructive feedback regarding the lighting and the lobby fragrance has been noted and will be taken on board. Thank you.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Chris van Dam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I just loved the location of this hotel. It is so close to EVERYTHING. You can walk to High Street Kensington for shopping or Hyde Park. You can walk to Harrolds or South Kensington - King's Road. You have access to large supermarkets such as Sainsbury's and Waitrose to pick up this immediate supplies. You also have access to the Gloucester Rd Tube. What I love about the location of the Tube is it is only a 2 min walk to the hotel so you don't have to carry your suitcases too far and it is on the direct line from Heathrow Airport.

The staff our wonderful. So accommodating - Cornelius Valentine is head of the Millennium Club and is very professional, polished and knowledgeable. He has a great attitude that nothing is too much trouble.

The rooms are large and cosy and the shower pressure is bountiful unlike other London hotels.

There is also a gym if you want to do a quick workout and laundry facilities just down the road. It really has everything at your fingertips. The best part being the location.

Room Tip: The Millennium rooms are furnished better than the standard rooms. Go up in price a little. It is wo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Wordly2013

Thank you for your feedback.

It is delightful to know that you were so pleased with the location, access and the surroundings, as well as the service provided during your stay. Your comments are very appreciated and have been passed to the team, especially to Cornelius. Thank you.

I hope to have the pleasure of your visit again soon.

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

I've stayed here twice now for work, with varying experiences. The first room was located down an eerie corridor (think 'The Shining') and about as far away from the lift as possible. The second room was significantly better, I mentioned I wanted to be closer to the lift and the staff were very helpful and found me a very nice room.

The hotel restaurant and bar is good with very nice staff, but the breakfast room is a little chaotic owing to the number of guests it serves each morning.

Best business hotel I've found in London. Great location, clean and spacious rooms. And great gym! (Would benefit from a pool).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Alyksandra

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment on TripAdvisor.

Your positive comments the service and overall standards are very appreciated. I am sorry that your first room was not to your liking, if there is availability we will always try to give you a room more to your liking as on second visit.

Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

A couple, we wanted a stay of one night when passing through London on long haul the Millennium was an excellent choice.
Needing a walk-in shower we were located in a bedroom in which the heating was not working properly Within 10 minutes of our request a maintenance person attended but was unable to resolve the problem. A stand alone heater was provided with minutes and it delivered the heat required.
Breakfast was excellent and a busy dining room handled the high guest turnover. Being coeliac I required a gluten free meal. There was a separate area set aside with the necessary breakfast items - a pleasant surprise when many hotels struggle to deliver gluten free food.
Finally when I requested a sandwich to take with me to the airport Cornelious at Reception had it duly prepared and ready at the time of checking out.
All in all a good overnight experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Twofrom-

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

It is great to know that you were overall satisfied with your stay, particularly the service from Cornelius. I have passed your comments along and I thank you on behalf of the team.

I am sorry about the issue with the heating. I am glad that we could assist you on that occasion.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Spent 2 nights 3 days at this beautiful hotel with my gf....the staff was very friendly and as soon as we came in the staff helped us feel at home. Our luggage was taken care of and we will offered a fresh beverage while we waited to check in. The check in was quick and effortless..... the receptionist (Cyrielle) was very warm and friendly and made sure we got a room based on my gf's preference.

The hotel is in the perfect location....it is walking distance from central london and very close to the underground train system. Ideal for a romatic trip to London.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Harsh T

Thank you for your email.

Your positive comments about the service are very appreciated and have been passed to the team, specially Cyrielle. Thank you on behalf of the staff.

Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Booked this hotel via Travel Zoo at a special offer rate and we were very impressed with the quality of the accommodation and hotel staff. Buffet breakfast was of good quality with plenty of choice and each food station was replenished regularly. Hotel was very busy due to rugby league world cup with guests drawn from around the world. From our perspective the hotel was not disrupted by the extra volume and we were very happy with the "customer experience". We will return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear DaiMac

Thank you for this great review.

I am very pleased to read your positive comments about your with us, particularly the overall standards and breakfast.

The team try its best to strive for excellence and I am glad that you enjoyed. Thank you.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

This is your typical type of hotel in this price range, good service, nice rooms, good restaurants, lovely decor, but if you are a non smoker think I would book into a similar hotel elsewhere. There is a non smoking policy in place for the rooms, and signs saying a clean fee will be endured should one smoke in the rooms. If they in fact police it who knows, but the cleaning fee is not being actually used to clean the rooms. We checked in to our room, it smelt like a used ash tray, we stupidly couldn't be bothered complaining or changing due to the time, big mistake, the smell was so overwhelming we didn't get any sleep, on check out I mentioned the problem, they seems generally concerned, but ran in to a colleague and mentioned our problem, he said funny I should say that as on check in he was shown to a smoke infested room as well, he complained and they offered to come and spray some smellies in the air, he objected and was moved to a clean fresh smelling room. Obviously this is what they do with their cleaning fee, spray room fresher around, I have worked in the hospitality industry and this does not work, you have to clean bedding, carpet, launder drapes, upholstery the whole works, and until this hotel deside to take non smoking seriously I will stay elsewhere. One isolated case fine, but upon talking to others this is happening time and time again. Pick up your game.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Joanne F

Thank you for your review.

I'm sorry that your experience with us was not completely to your satisfaction. Unfortunately there are occasions when the smoking policy is not followed and this is not brought to our attention.

I assure you that our team would be pleased to assist you had this being reported at the reception, and if available a room move would have been arranged.

I sincerely hope that you consider returning to the Gloucester in the future despite your feedback indicating otherwise.