“Rooms not as impressive as the reception area”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #538 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed here at the weekend for a visit to the Royal Albert Hall. First impressions are fantastic, reception area beautiful, lady at reception tried to say we hadn't paid enough when we booked, and that the VAT was still owing, had to argue a bit, but they saw sense eventually, (no apology though) but after that everything went smoothly. Room clean and had everything you would need although not as impressive as the entrance. Breakfast was great, lots of choice and well presented. We left our luggage for the day on Sunday and were not charged as we have at other London Hotels. Overall a good hotel in a great location, would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear jrh146

Thank you for your review and for the positive comments regarding the overall standards and facilities.

I am glad that the initial issue with payment was sorted and the rest of your stay went smoothly. I hope it did not cause you any inconvenience and please accept my apologies.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have just stayed at the Millennium Gloucester hotel which is superbly located in Kensington right opposite the Gloucester Road tube station. The foyer is beautiful and had just been trimmed up for Christmas making it even more attractive. The staff are all very efficient and friendly. Our room was clean and well appointed but the main thing that struck me was how quiet it was. Having stayed in many London hotels there is always differing levels of noise from the other rooms but all 3 nights here were silent. Breakfast was a sumptuous feast and very efficiently served. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Carole N
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Carole N

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

Your positive feedback about the service, facilities and quietness is very appreciated and has been shared with the team. Thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm regards

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is an excellent hotel with outstanding location and excellent service. It is next to Gloucester road tube station and walking distance to Museum of Natural History, science museum Hyde Park and many tourist attractions. Rooms are spacious and staff very friendly and helpful. It is a full service hotel and excellent deal for money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Shahid R

Thank you for your positive review.

I am very pleased to learn that your stay was excellent in all aspects.

I have shared your feedback with the team and we hope to have you back soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was my 2nd stay at this hotel.
On arrival I asked for my room which was booked - a double with breakfast. (I was previously given a twin room on my last visit which was not acceptable) I was told I would have a lovely twin room! I pointed out that a double had been booked and paid for so the receptionist trawled through and allocated room 144.
I went to the room and it was an office with a pull down bed! I wasn't happy so went back down to reception and asked for a different room.
I was allocated a double room on the 3rd floor room 390. I got in the room and it stank of stale cigarette smoke and was very unpleasant, there were embedded stains on the carpets and it was very much in need of repair/decoration.
I rang reception and told them I was not happy - I was told 'madam, I will send someone up to refresh the room' - I declined this offer and asked for an alternative room. I went back down to reception and was allocated a complimentary upgrade - I didn't comment.
This room was on 5th floor room 533. Upgrade?? The only difference was a robe hanging on the bathroom door! The room was very dark and I had work to do - impossible to do anything involving reading or writing.
I didn't sleep very well and there were doors banging early the next morning.
The breakfast was ok - the cooked food could have been hotter but the coffee was good and there was a good selection of pastries and fruit.
On check out I was asked if I enjoyed my stay - I'm afraid I could not bring myself to comment as I had an appointment to get to. I did leave a very full comment sheet with my email address but so far haven't had any response from management,
I will try and avoid staying at this hotel again twice is quite enough!

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you have booked and if not happy change it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank chrissy
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear chrissy

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to learn that your stay was not as positive as we both wished. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced.

I hope that we were able to go someway to make amends after we contacted you. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is the second time I've been to the hotel following a rather disappointing first visit a few years ago. This time, all aspects of the visit were impeccable. The service received from entering the hotel to leave was faultless - a great thank you to the reception staff and customer liaison staff that made our stay special.
The positioning of the hotel is excellent - a few steps away from Gloucester Road Tube station. We were lucky enough to be in a position to have a Club Room which was excellent and a real treat. The bed was huge and comfy; the Club Room facilities a real additional bonus.
We decided to take the option and breakfast in the ground floor area which was undeniably busy, but worth the short wait to experience the excellent foods!
I will be returning!!

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to a Club room if you can afford it!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Romangate

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor for the second time.

I am glad that you were satisfied with the Club room, breakfast and overall standards. Thank you.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed one night whilst in London to see Jools Holland. The hotel is in a fantastic location, right next to Gloucester Street tube station. Our room was clean with a fantastically comfortable bed. The bar area was nice with typically expensive drinks, no different from anywhere else in that respect!! Special mention to Tim the receptionist who was friendly and efficient, an asset to the hotel. Our only complaint is having to pay for wi-fi. When you can access free wi-fi in pubs and restaurants worldwide it is poor that this is not offered as standard in a hotel of this calibre.

We very much enjoyed our stay and will certainly return.

Dear scotsheather

Thank you for your review.

Your positive comments about the room, service and overall standards are very appreciated and have been shared with the team, particularly with Tim. Thank you on their behalf.

I hope to have the pleasure of your stay again in the future.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed in the Hotel due to a convention in the same Hotel , the Hotel itself is really nice ,although they are asking for the payment upfront upon check in ,
The room it self was nice , big size room , internet was extra of 10 pound for 24 hours .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear oferka

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your stay and overall standards. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.