“A proper hotel”

Ranked #530 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A proper hotel”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I'd never heard of this place until a few days ago and booked it with fingers crossed given the shortage of apparently suitable hotels on the various booking sites - was it one of the few available because it was not very good? Absolutely not - you walk in the door to a particularly pleasant foyer, a check in that is calm and efficient, a decent-sized room, immaculate bathroom with great towels (and a shower that didn't require a B.Sc. and/or a magnifying glass to operate it), ditto the TV, a proper ironing board, the best pillows I have ever slept on and a brilliantly comfortable bed. And to boot, superb service in the bar. Check out next day was fast efficient and very civil. The general manager is obviously right on top of things. Outstanding and refreshing from a hotel group, well done. A mystery remains: why was i able to get a room? I just hope I can next time.

Room Tip: Hard to say, but on the evidence and given the location - slightly out of the way for me but worth p...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Anthony J
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Anthony J

Thank you very much for the kind review about yoru experience at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel.

Your very positive comments about the room standards, pillows and the service are very appreciated and have been shared with the management and the team. Thank you.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Chris van Dam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The hotel is well located, especially for the museums. I was there for business and everything was fine. The lounge, if you have access, is small but a quiet place to work - as a break from the own room- until the drinks arrive in the evening, when it can get busy. Rooms are fine, bar average. Service very good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Simon T

Thank you for your review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and were satisfied with our services and standards, including the Club Lounge.

Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I returned to this hotel for the third time in January and I wasn't disappointed. The staff were friendly and the rooms are lovely. The only improvement I feel needs to be made is to offer free wifi. Charging £10 for 24 hours of wifi is pretty steep. Other than that this hotel is in a fantastic location, right next to the tube stop and near plenty of places to eat plus a post office.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank em2606
Dear em2606

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to know that you are satisfied with our services and standards and location. Regarding the WiFi charges, your comment is very appreciated and I will take into consideration when the standards are next reviewed.

Sterling, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Glad we picked this hotel for our 40th anniversary. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Room was clean and large with a king bed. Great bar/lounge. Great American style buffett breakfast daily. Great location right outside the underground station. The hop on/hop off bus tours stopped right outside as well. Walked to Kensington Gardens and palace as well as to Harrods and the Natural History museum. Was easy to get to from Heathrow on the underground too. They let us check in at 8:30 a.m. after a long overnight flight from the U.S. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear John W

Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased to read your great comments about the standards and service provided by the team. I have shared your comments with the team and I thank you on their behalf.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We travelled to London for a 4 day city break taking up a deal we'd seen on travelzoo for my girlfriend's birthday and had the perfect stay.
The hotel's location was ideal; the Millennium Gloucester is located just yards from the Gloucester Road tube station (as you leave the station take your first right and you are within spitting distance of the entrance).
Upon arrival we were slightly early for our check-in time, but this wasn't an issue as were able to leave our bags with the concierge who greeted us at the door and return at a time convenient to us (after the 2pm check-in). Both the reception staff and concierge could not do enough to help us.

When we did check-in we were greeted by the guest relations officer Natasha who was ever so friendly, she wished us a good stay, gave us an upgrade and like her colleagues we'd spoken to previously could not do enough to help us. As we even got to our room, our bags were being delivered by the porter.
The room was well equipped, clean and plush. The only slight draw back was the view from the window (or lack of) but this was expected because of the location of the hotel.
Facilities throughout the hotel were fantastic, the reception was grand, hotel bar was pleasant, and the breakfast area was great.
The bed was very comfortable and the room was both spacious and well decorated (a theme which was consistent with the rest of the hotel).
The room was well stocked with complementary toiletries which were replenished upon use and towels were changed daily. Anything we requested was attended to with immediate attention, and the staff were faultless, there when you needed them, but out of site and not interfering.

Upon check-out, the same relations manager was keen to say good-bye and learn how we had enjoyed our stay, it was a really nice touch.

I simply couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough, we will definitely be returning next time we’re in London. The hotel is so well connected, has plenty of shops, drinking holes and a tube station In such close proximity that we wanted for nothing.

Thanks for a great stay, we'll definitely be back soon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mattdobson89
Dear mattdobson89

Thank you so much for the great review.

I am delighted to read your fantastic comments about your stay and to know that we met all expectations and needs.

Your kind words regarding the service provided by the team and espcially Natasha are very appreciated and have been passed along. Thank you.

Thetford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed here with my wife on a pre-booked leisure break at a great (50%) discounted room rate. Found the hotel ideall located for our purposes with all that Kensington has to offer by way of Shopping, Restaurants,Bars, parks, museums Etc.,Etc., and perfectly situated within 5Min. walk of Tube.
Having had a basic room (regret not up grading at time of checking in on discounted rate also!)- this was perfectly fine and furnished to a good standard with all the ameniries you would expect in a four star establishment. As using the hotel as a base for our purposes-having chosen to eat out elsewhere for example- this was more than acceptable to us but if intrending to spend a lot of time here I would recommend checking out the room size and rates suitable for you and would urge you to shop around for best rates-either directly through Millenium directly-or other web search engines such as Trivago whom we used. All in all, a very pleasant stay for us and would certainl stay again should such discounted rates still be available.
NB// as you'd expect, bar prices quite high but good, competitive pubs and bars close by- not to mention local supermarkets/stores to purchase your own!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear bluebrummy

Thank you for your review and for recommending us.

I am very pleased to note that we met your needs and expectations and that you were satisfied with the location, standards and value for money.

I hope to have the pleasure of your visit soon.

budapest
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I share the opinion of Paige S from Sydney. Club rooms are tired and dated. Plus, I do not understand the hotel's policy regarding club lounge access. I have a classic membership, got a club room but access to the club lounge has been denied for me. I've been told that it is not free of charge. Table waiting staff in breakfast room was absolutely unprofessional. Only advantage of this hotel is its location. Comparing my stays here in the past, regret to say that overall quality has been much deteriorated.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BudapestMolnar
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear BudapestMolnar

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay.

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations concerning the Club room standards on this occasion. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter further with you, if you would please contact me at: Chris.vanDam@millenniumhotels.com .

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely