“Nice hotel, don't like adjoining doors to next door rooms”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #530 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel, don't like adjoining doors to next door rooms”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights with my daughter, we had a twin room on the second floor, it was OK but a little disappointing, a bit scruffy and dated, air conditioning was useless. I noticed that it had a locked adjoining door to the next room, I was concerned that if we had noisy neighbours we would hear them. Sure enough at 1AM the person next door came in and laughed loudly on and off for an hour, that really bugged me.

Next day the hotel swapped my room for another on the third floor, It was a nicer room, tidier and no adjoining door, very quiet. Air-con also useless.

The good:

Staff were very helpful, second room was of a decent standard, location excellent, price reasonable, Feel of the hotel is pleasant, beds comfortable.

Not quite so good:

Book a room without an adjoining door, air con didn't work for us, just blew air. room on second floor was a little scruffy.

I would stay here again though, it is a decent place.

Room Tip: no adjoining door in room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alltimegreat
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear alltimegreat

Thank you for your review; I was sorry to hear of the issues you encountered.

We welcome and value all feedback, including the constructively critical, and will take your comments on board.

Chris van Dam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We booked here for our friends 50th birthday weekend. The hotel is absolutely fantastic and all the staff were amazing. Gorgeous area, close to subway (use back entrance to hotel). Breakfast was suberb - plenty of choices, whatever floats your boat. Rooms were great - had a brilliant sleep all weekend (first for a long time). Bathroom and toiletries - perfect. Can't wait to visit again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Hedy12

Thank you for your great review of our hotel and am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend break.

I am glad to know that you were pleased with our service and standards and I have passed your comments along to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for three nights in April 2014. We weren't expecting much, but the hotel turned out to be terrific; great location, great staff and very comfortable. We would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave W
Dear Dave W

Thank you for your great comments. I am glad that you and your wife enjoyed your 3 nights stay with us.

I have passed it on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

singapore
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My hubby and I have been using Millennium Gloucester as our London base over the past few years on our annual pilgrimage to the UK. We keep coming back because we love the location, the hotel facilities and the excellent service we tend to get here. This year, our experience was somewhat of a mixed bag. We have had some truly great service, and some extremely disappointing ones. The great disparity in service levels made us feel like we were staying in two different hotels at different times. Let me add before I continue that we still love the hotel and would probably continue using it in future.

Because Millennium was our base, we stayed there on three separate occasions within a three-week period. Stays 1 and 3 were great, stay 2 not so much.

The Great

We had great service from Lee who handled our luggage at the end of our first stay and the start and end of our third. He was cheerful and helpful, even when it was obvious that the hotel was heaving having just received a massive influx of guests. He is a true asset to the hotel. We also received wonderful service at reception. I am afraid I can't remember the names of the ladies who checked us in and out during the first stay, but both were very helpful and informative. The other lady who checked us in during our third stay was Beatrix (I think) and she was extremely comprehensive in informing us about our club room privileges.

We were also happy to learn that we could have breakfast in the main dining room without additional charges. This was the first time that it was made available. In our previous stays, we were informed only breakfast in the club lounge was included. We decided to try the dining room and were pleased at the level of service there. The waiters and even the kitchen staff were extremely helpful. I can't single any one because they were all very good. If I wanted to be super picky, I would say that the ladies who greeted us at the entrance and asked for our room no should do so with a smile. That said, they were still very polite and highly efficient.

The Bad

Our second stay was a rather different kettle of fish. We arrived quite late and were checked in by two men whom I will call Tweedledee and Tweedledum. I have an extreme feather allergy so my hubby asked them about the bedding. Dee told us nothing had been noted in our reservation, and Dum repeated it. They kept repeating that and neither made any effort to check with housekeeping. Thankfully, we found that housekeeping had been more efficient than Dee and Dum, who also failed to tell us anything about our club floor privileges. In fact, when we tried to get into the club lounge the next day, we found that they had not coded our keys for access. To be fully transparent, my hubby did feedback this experience to the hotel who responded immediately by apologising and presenting us with a nice bottle of wine. Kudos for sound service recovery.

Unfortunately, the next day when we checked out we had a rather unpleasant experience. As usual, we called concierge to help us with our luggage. We told the bell hop that we needed to store a couple of our bags for a few days in the hotel. During the six-day period between our first and second stays, we had stored two of our bags without any problems or issues. Imagine our surprise, when this bell hop told us that we would need to pay a pound per day per bag to store our bags. When we kicked up a fuss, he immediately back-pedalled and said the charge would be waived. We also checked with reception who told us that this was a service charge that was levied when the storage area was full. When we asked concierge (the man with the key pin) he said very curtly that the bell hop was in charge. We were left quite perplexed by this experience. We didn't know if it was a charge that the hotel was levying for bag storage, or an additional tip that the bell hop thought he deserved. It didn't seem that it was a hotel fee because at no point did anyone offer to put it on our hotel bill. In any case, it left quite a bitter taste. We had grave reservations about using Millennium.

It was a good thing then that our third stay was great. However, I would like a clarification about the service fee for storing bags at the hotel. If not for the second stay, I would have rated the hotel as either very good or even excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank youarehere
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear youarehere ,

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry that you had a mixed experience during your stay.

I will make sure to pass on your kind comments to our Front Office team, especially to Lee.

With regards to storage of luggage, due to limited space, the London hotels in our Group do not usually store luggage for guests unless it is a temporary measure between check out and departure from the Hotel on the same day. Regardless, at the Millennium Gloucester, we have always tried to assist whenever possible and, in this case, have applied a nominal charge. From your feedback, it would seem that we have offered you storage on a complimentary basis on two occasions, which we were pleased to do.

Should you consider returning and would like to contact me in advance of your arrival, the team and I will look forward to showing you a good level of service.

Salamanca, Spain
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. I traveled with my dad and his wife and needless to say we were not the easiest tenants. We had to change our reservations to add another person. They brought a cot to our room the first night and then let us change to a room with 2 beds for the remainder of our stay. The staff was very helpful and friendly the entire time. The beds were very comfortable. There was a club room with free soda, water, coffee, and hot tea from 8am-8pm. The bar had a good atmosphere with affordable (London standards) drinks. They even stayed open a little later than usual so the USA fans could watch the entire US vs Portugal World Cup game! The Italian restaurant connected to it was delicious as well (try the lasagna)! I would definitely recommend this hotel and will stay here again if I ever return to London!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Megan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and please to hear that you had a great stay with us.

I have passed on your comments to the team and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

With kind regards,

Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights from 19-24 June 2014.

I booked the hotel as it was just 50 m away from the tube station. The location is excellent. Unfortunately, the Picadilly Line does not stop at the Glouster Road Station till Dec 2014 so I had to hop onto the district Line at Earl's Court when I arrived from Heathrow.

The region where the hotel is situated is excellent and quiet. There is KFC, Starbucks, Burger King across the hotel. There was Nandos across the Road, Tesco Express and Waitrose near by and great shopping at Westfields London at Shephards Bush was a 10 min bus ride away (Bus 49). The Natural History and V&A museums are near by.

The hotel is relatively busy and lots of people use it. Breakfast around 815 gets pretty chaotic but unlike other hotels I have seen, the food is topped up pretty quickly. There is a decent spread with Congee and Fried Noodles to complement the Eggs and Sausages etc. Its a decent hotel breakfast but if breakfast is not included in your rate, you might enjoy having it elsewhere during "rush hour".

This is my first stay and I had a good stay in the room. Everything runs very well and the hotel runs well but here are the not so good stuff about the hotel.

1) The gym is not a 24 hour and some of the equipment not so well mantained.

2) Internet charges are 10 pounds for 24 hours.

3) The pillows are super thin. I had a slight stiff neck after 5 nights.

4) The TV remote control is quite hard to use and as the hotel choses not to print the hotel information out (Its reason is to protect the environment which I think is silly as I had to waste a long time on the TV trying to find the information). This is something I do not expect from a hotel that considers itself as a "luxury" hotel.

Other than those stuff I mentioned, the rooms are generally well mantained. Good for a stay for a budget conscious traveller if the price is good. Great if u want to take the tube to Heathrow as its a short tube ride away... For the location u have, its a great place to explore London from.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Edmundyong
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Edmundyong

Thank you for taking the time out to post your review and for highlighting the great location and breakfast options.

We welcome all comments, including the constructively critical and have taken both the good and bad points on board.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Melbourne
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We recently spent three nights at the Millennium Gloucester in Kensington. Such a great location. We walked every where, and when it was too far, the train station is round the corner. Kensington is so pretty. Just like a little country village.
Our room was large with plenty of space for our two big suitcases. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom had a great bath. Really can't fault the room.
Breakfast was fabulous, with so much choice. The staff were friendly and happy to help in any way.
I would definitely stay at the Gloucester again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Naomi

I am pleased that you enjoyed your 3 nights stay with us.

Thank you for highlighting the spacious rooms, as well as the breakfast options, friendly staff and convenient location.

I have shared your comments with the team and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back