“Worst ever experience from a reputable hotel ”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #518 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Singapore
“Worst ever experience from a reputable hotel ”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We had a terrible experience in this hotel. Upon check in, we were served by a straight faced no smile receptionist. Asked if hotel room comes with WiFi? "No. You have to pay". Any complimentary from our Gold Millennium club membership card? "No. I suggest you upgrade to our club floor at 50£ and you will get free WiFi." What about in the lobby? "No. If you want WiFi, go to the coffee house spend a minimum of 45£."
We were abhorred by the fact that in this day and age at a 4 star hotel, a reputable hotel is depriving their guests with no free WiFi access? Not even in the lobby. We were disappointed firstly but were flabbergasted by the matter-of-fact response, without a slightest apologetic tone, I would imagine any guest service staff could offer if they are sincerely sorry for things beyond their control. We were travelling without our kids and having WiFi connectivity was the least we could ask for to Skype our kids daily. Our saving grace came when we found out there is a Starbucks right across the hotel on the main street.
Honestly speaking, we regretted much in choosing this hotel. Firstly it is not close by to any main attraction, the hotel caters mainly to business travellers, not so much for tourists. Secondly, even though the hotel is 4 star, the room is very basic and no frills. We were appalled by the fact that a 4 star hotel actually provides only fixed shower head and no hand held shower. We literally had to stand very close to the wall and worst the thermostat was not working very well and water came out quite hot despite trying to balance the hot and cold knob.The showering experience was a joke. This hotel does not treat people with basic necessity such as a hand held shower head that even 3 star hotel could provide. This is utterly unacceptable.
Nothing went right with this hotel.
Even the concierge guy was not very helpful when we asked for direction. He put a red dot in ink and tell us the restaurant is at the corner of a street in a map. We trust his recommendation and followed the instruction but when we reached the" red dot" the restaurant did not exist. He could have given us the exact address instead of simply placed a red dot on the map base on his memory. I have travelled widely and stayed in many different hotels, business or leisure but never had such bad experience staying in a hotel of this stature. The message both me and my husband felt was non verbally communicated and felt as we were not so welcome here.
The surprise turn was on the last day! I must say not every one was unfriendly though. At the time of check out, we mentioned to a lady at the front desk that we were disappointed that there is no WiFi in this hotel lobby and she pulled out immediately a slip with log in password for us. We were surprised that there is WiFi at the lobby! So the bottomline is You just need to talk to the right person!? This made us wonder if the previous guy who served us were even doing justice to us. Was he having a bad day or was it pure racism?

I would not recommend this hotel if you are here as a tourist or for sight seeing. If this is your corporate hotel, then I guessed its fine if your company pays extra 50£ upgrade for WiFi and breakfast.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank MandyK4
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear MandyK4

I am sorry that your experience during your recent stay fell short of our usual standards. We very much welcome all feedback, including the constructively critical, and will address the issues you have highlighted without delay.

Your comments regarding the wifi have been taken on board.

I am also disappointed that you did not feel that the room or overall experience was of great value, I truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and to give you the high-standard stay that we are normally commended for.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Chris van Dam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cairo
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Unfortunately this is my first negative review for a hotel., therefore I'm making sure I'm listing everything that went well in addition to what didn't.

I Booked 2 double rooms last June, one for me and my wife and 3 year old child and another for my parents in law to spend a weekend in London.

- Hotel entrance looks very good and gives you a 5 star hotel feeling.
- Checkin was fast and ordered an extra bed for my son and was delivered within a few minutes.
- The room is old, average and doesn't match the impression you get from the lobby.
- Bathroom was poor for both rooms so it looks like this is the norm.
- Breakfast was good nothing exceptional but can't complain about it.

Why the poor rating rather than an average one?

After getting our rooms and relaxing for an hour or so, we decided to go out and enjoy the sun, returned back in the evening after a hectic day in london and tried to get into my room but could not get access , just thought the card is not working went downstairs and meet by in-laws who mentioned they couldn't also get in their room. Went to the reception to check and the lady looked at the system and then said one moment please, I gentlemen then came to me and said sorry we have locked your rooms as we took a 50 pound deposit instead of 500 pound we should charged. I was like, so why did you lock the room since you made the mistake and didn't even ask me to pay yet, they said we tried to knock on the room and left you a letter. I felt very offended this has never happened to me before. More annoying they felt this was very normal and didn't understand why I felt offended, they made a mistake and kicked me out of the room to make sure they fix it.

I asked for a manager but was told no manager will be available till tomorrow. I went back to my room very upset with the disrespect, they had my card I didn't even ask how much they blocked on the card when I checked-in and now they kick me out of the room for a mistake they did and did not even ask to fix it. Anyway I tried to get in the room again but still could not, so I went back down stairs even more upset to find the manager this time (who was not available till next morning) hoping that she will fix the issue for me and apologies for this terrible service. I was shocked to how rude she spoke to me and totally felt nothing was wrong and gave me that attitude, I just couldn't believe this. Is this really a 4 star hotel in the UK!!!!!

I told the manager that I'm sure someone runs this place other than her and I will find someone more senior to complain too and will not let this go, she showed no interest and spoke to me very rudely in front of everyone. I went back to my room and managed to get in this time and a few minutes later the manager phone me and apologized and offered a discount of nearly 70 GBP as a goodwill for the extra child bed and free internet access. I took the goodwill offer, because I thought it was better than nothing. But I was 100% confident that this was an inappropriate way to sort out there problems.

But money doesn't buy a customer experience, especially if its a genuine customer.

Sorry for the long review but the worst customer service I have ever experienced in a hotel in the UK or elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank mhashem6
Dear mhashem6,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your experience during your recent stay fell short of our usual standards.

Whilst I am disappointed that you did not feel the overall experience was of great value, I truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and to give you the high-standard stay that we are normally commended for.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 3 years in a row, and am already planning my next stay for July 2015. I find the location perfect, steps from the Gloucester Road Tube station, a 10 minute walk to the V & A and the Natural History Museum, and less than 15 minutes walk to Kensington Park and the Kensington High Street shopping area. There are numerous restaurants, bars and coffee shops very close by. The room had everything I needed for my stay. The found the staff to be really attentive and helpful, in particular Sara at Reception who was extremely helpful, had infinite patience with me while trying to figure out which room would be quietest and most practical work-wise, and her sense of humour was a welcome bonus during a very hectic trip. Management is hands-on, and any issues which arose were dealt with promptly and efficiently. I highly recommend this hotel for business and/or leisure stays!

Room Tip: If your room overlooks - or is near - the conservatory, make sure to ask if there will be a party th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear 391Visitorfromcanada,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you will be coming back again next year.

I have passed on your great comments to the team and especially to Sara.

We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Our room was very well appointed with everything we needed. The staff was top notch. The concierge was extremely helpful at finding restaurants, how the Underground works, what time things would be closing and the list goes on. This is in a very lovely upscale area of Kensington. Very easy to get on the Underground and get to the tourist places. Would highly recommend this hotel. We used Expedia and found a very reasonable rate for this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Deb S,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you liked our great location.

I have passed on your great comments to the team especially to the Concierge .

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

It started of with the check in. I asked if they had internet and Antonio replied that its 10 pounds oer day (!) When i said i thought that was rediculous, he replied that he has a friend working at another hotel where its even more. Basically saying deal with it. Youre better of getting a internet sim on the high streets.

The second issue was in the room. You could clearly see the made went through it quickly. Thats a problem in current day hotels as they have to manage to clean a lot in little time. The toilet seat was spotted and so was the sink. Not a nice idea to go to the toilet. Also everything from the hallways to the rooms smell after chloride. Again not nice. In my room upon enteri i found the heating turned on its highest and on the warmest setting. Again, not what youre hoping for after a days hard work. The room i stayed in was 596. I guess normalky it would be a nice room if clean.

With breakfast asking for a cappuccino is to much. It will cost me an additional 4.35 pound (!) and the breakfast is 13.50 pounds. Price for breakfast is ok, but for my croissant and scrambled egg one might expect a bit more service translated in a cappucino. But 4.35 is an absolute rip off! The waiter smiled and seriously asked if i wanted one. Uhm no, ill get a proper one from Costa thank you.

Everyone is trained to get more money and up sell, service is clearly second. And thats what is wrong with this hotels management. I would strongly unadvice this hotel to any friend or family for the moment being.

Ps what is really nice is that they have a kids congierge. Albeit i dont have any myself, I do like that idea / service.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank iammikeg
Dear iammikeg,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your experience during your recent stay fell short of our usual standards.

Midlands
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 6 months ago and were very disappointed. However, the return visit was much better.
On arrival we were asked if we'd like to pay for an upgrade - we declined. Then the receptionist gave it us for free!
The club room we ended up in was spacious and well equipped. Good a/c, large bathroom (massive bath), and a v comfortable bed.
Would have liked more than 1 biscuit on the tea tray though!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keeno1971
Dear Keeno1971 ,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you had a much better stay with us this time, and that you enjoyed our Club rooms.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

From the stained carpet, empty minibar, non-working a/c, poor television reception, no plugs and a front desk staff that has trouble speaking English...........and this is my 1st night here. I will absolutely not be back here again. The lobby is well presented, but that's where the updating ends. Had to move my niece and nephew's room because the a/c controls looked like it had been worked on with a hammer. We never got the temp below 80 degrees. So disappointed....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Terri L
Dear Terri L

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that we have failed to meet your expectations.

We welcome and value all feed back, and will take your comments on board,