“London break”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #547 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Hotel was adequate for purpose. Our room was not ready on time, we had to wait around 2 hours, the reception kindly gave us bar tokens for our wait. Disappointed at check out though, as hotel tried to charge an extra £36 per night for an extra bed which was pre booked.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jane C
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Jane C,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We welcome all comments, including the constructively critical, which we will use to improve our guest experience.

Chris van Dam

Write a ReviewReviews (4,793)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed hear on the 11th of July for a concert at wembley, was a good base with everything you would need, nice bed, good TV, well presented and a shower. The price we paid for one night was very good and that's why I wouldn't moan, it's in a good location, right by the tube, shops,bars and restaurants all close. Good for short stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and you won't get much noise if your in need of a decent nights sleep
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Aaron F,

Thank you for your review, and am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Millennium Gloucester has been my home in London for many years whenever I visit. I am always impressed with the continued excellent service and attention to detail at this hotel. My last visit was the most outstanding where from the time I arrived I was greeted by friendly and polite staff and throughout my stay everyone addressed me by name so I never feel like just any other guest. Every service request I made was followed up with a telephone call to my room to ensure that service was received. For example when my laundry goes out, someone follows up on its return to ask if I was satisfied. The rooms are well appointed and the beds very comfortable. The staff are attentive and everyone that I encountered approached me in a highly professional manner and was obviously well trained, which is a credit to this hotel. Mr. Chris vanDam, his entire management team of the Millennium and all the staff must to be very proud of what they achieved in making this hotel a great place to stay.

Room Tip: The Concierge Level is well serviced and offers a superb breakfast in the mornings.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Sir Royston H,

Thank you for such a wonderful review, I am delighted you had such a great stay with us and that Millennium Gloucester is your home whenever you visit London and have been for many years, and we hope long may it continue.
I have shared you lovely comments with the team who are delighted to receive such positve feedback.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

With kind regards

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was my second and last stay in this admittedly well respected hotel. Upon checking into my room, I discovered that the air conditioning did not work. This made for a lousy night's sleep. The following day, the staff provided me with a portable unit which without a constant supply of ice served me well as a fan. The fan however occupied the only easily accessible outlet in the room. The remainder of the outlets were beneath the makeup table that serves as a desk. I had to unplug the hair dryer to free up an outlet to recharge my electronics. Doing this required getting down on my hands and knees to crawl under the vanity to plug in and remove my chargers several times a day.

The bathroom is also right out of the early 20th century. When you wish to urinate, there is a door stop precisely where you would normally position your right foot and when you sit it interferes with your left foot. Rather than a walk in shower, there is a rather deep soaking tub reminiscent of the Victorian age when people took a bath every Saturday night whether they needed it or not. Climbing in and out of this relic is rather dangerous.

One final negative, there is no place other than the bed to pack or unpack your luggage. Knowing that the suitcase has been man handled in the hold of an aircraft and place on the floor of a taxi, I was not eager to place it where I was going to sleep.

On the plus side the staff were top flight as was the breakfast.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kevin S

Dear Kevin S,

I am sorry that your experience during your recent stay fell short of our usual standards. We very much welcome all feedback, including the constructively critical, and will address the issues you have highlighted without delay.

On the plus side, thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and breakfast service.

I truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and to give you the high-standard stay that we are normally commended for.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

On arrival it looks fine and the location is definitely excellent. We experiences lots of problems, pre-paid rooms unavailable for nearly 12 hours after arrival and even then we were moved twice! There were shabby and broken fixtures and fittings, sheets that were too short for the bed, covers that were too big for the quilt, keys that had to be re-cut, haridryer that was so hot it melted my hair, no soap/shower gel, no plug in the bath, rude staff in the bar, the loudest rave party in the conservatory making it impossible to hear yourslef think in the rooms overlooking it, I could go on......... The Duty Manager was calm and professional and did his best to resove the issues but the rest of his team just continually let him down. If you don't have any problems or if you are prepared to pay hundreds of ounds per night for somehting not as good as a Premier Inn then you will be ok. If you are only interested in location then you will be pleased but if you want to pay good money for a good product and service then you will be disappointed here

Room Tip: They will try to sell you a Club Room and they do have some but they also have basic twin rooms on t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear suebones_01,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Positive: We stayed at the Millinnium Gloucester Kensington for 9 nights with our 3 teenagers. The location of this hotel is perfect, just next to the London tube, bus routes (including hop on hop off circuits), restaurants, pubs and grocery stores.Since the breakfast buffet was quite expensive (22 pounds per person,we had lots of options around the hotel). Our overall rating is very good.
Negative: We had asked twice by email before arrival to have 2 connecting rooms, which we didn't get. They assigned us in two different rooms and had to split our family in two, saying they can never guaranty connecting rooms. One of the rooms they gave us smelled like cigarette, so we asked to change and they gave us another room quickly.
The air conditioning in one of the rooms wasn't working. We had to open the windows to get air, but our room was just above a terrace where a couple of loud parties were held during our stay. Noise didn't bother us, but it was loud enough to bother some.
Housekeeping had also trouble keeping track of towel count when cleaning our bathroom. We were 3 in one room and sometimes, even if they had removed 3 sets of towels, they only left two (but were quick to bring us an extra set when we called) or other times they didn't leave any face cloths or toilet paper.
One of the rooms had no view.
The rooms could use some freshening up, but were quite comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Nathalie9757

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I prepaid the hotel through Booking.com. The location is excellent near the Gloucester and South Kensington Tube. When I arrive the room was hot and stuffy as the AC didn't work. They sent up people twice to fix it and it still didn't work properly. When I complained to the manager they upgraded me to a club room. The room was much nicer and the air worked,though quite noisy. Hotel needs a facelift. Bathroom faucet leaked and although I reported it, never fixed. Internet is 10 pounds for 24 hours and didn't work half the time or is very slow when it does. They told me they wouldn't charge me because I had so much trouble, but when I checked out the women said she couldn't do anything as it was prepaid. She also didn't speak very good English and I am not sure she understood what I was talking about.
Pros: Excellent location and attentive staff for the most part. Very clean. Quiet. Good breakfast buffet.
Cons: Internet very slow, bathrooms small, crowded hotel. Halls hot and stuffy. AC noisy in room.

Room Tip: Club Rooms are nicer.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear steve b,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. We welcome all comments, including the constructively critical, and will address the issues you have raised.