“going downhill”

Ranked #530 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Swindon, United Kingdom
“going downhill”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

we have stayed at this hotel previously and everything was ok but things have changed.we were put in a tiny room with noisy aircon that didn't work and a window we couldn't open because it was broken.the shower just dribbled out and the tv picture kept freezing and made it impossible to watch.the hotel was very busy and when contacting the front desk when our door card stopped working we felt like we were being a nuisance.they obviously missed the customer care course!dont think we will bother with return visit

Room Tip: don't have 497
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tracey w
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear tracey w,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay.

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the matter further with you, if you would please contact me at: Chris.vanDam@millenniumhotels.com .

I look forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards

Chris van Dam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kolkata

Hi Friends,

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in the month of June '14. We had three rooms booked through a popular travel portal. The hotel has many positives and negatives and hence I would rate it average. You need to choose whats ok with you and whats not. Mind you, I chose this hotel after immense research.

Pros

1) Location. - Unbeatable. Close to the tube station, Big bus stop right there, plenty of eateries around, for Indians - Bombay Brasserie is next door, Starbucks, burger king etc

2) The Hotel is attached to a nice casino. Great for late night fun

3) The concierge service was top class

Cons

1) After a long overnight flight we almost had to fight for a room at the reception. The guy (was a trainee) who attended to us simply mentioned one room booking is not been seen in the system and also breakfast not mentioned. He said you contact the supplier. I said I have the print out where it says all confirmed but he refused to take it. Finally, one senior staff (Asian origin) attended to us and in 2 mins it was all sorted out. This incident made us feel that they have diff. approach to diff. type of customers.

2) The standard room layout/spacing is NOT what is seen in the picture everywhere. We were on the 1st/2nd floor. Infact I would go to the extent of saying that it is trick photography. None of the three rooms allotted to us were similar to the photos. Also, they are cramped. No view at all if not facing the street. Also, I can bet that the room size mentioned is not what you get. Wish I could measure it

3) Breakfast was just ok. The guys there had a serious issue if we ordered a basket of fruits

4) The hotel has a slightly "old school" feel to it.

5) The washrooms were extremely small. The tub was the saving grace and water flow was excellent.

Overall, I recommend staying at this hotel ONLY if you get a bargain and manage to get a higher category room. The location is enough to beat all the cons mentioned above.

Happy Traveling,
Gautam

Tip : Dont miss the Big Bus ride around London. Wow

Room Tip: Dont go for the standard category rooms. Not good and not value for money as well
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GudduKolkata
Dear GudduKolkata,

Thank you for your very kind compliment regarding our Concierge, which I will be sure to pass to the team.
We value all feedback including the constructively critical which we will use to improve our guest experience.

Hamburg, Germany

Club lounge was closed.
Cost od accommodation too high as if booked directly with hotel ( clould have safed at least Stg. 100.
Debitting credit account at least 3 weeks ahead of using hotel and experiencing facilities and service rather unusual and in future not acceptable

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

Dear Hans Dieter M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We welcome all comments, including the constructively critical, which we will use to improve our guest experience.

singapore
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Other than the location -- a minute's walk from Gloucester station -- there really isn't a reason to be staying at this hotel. As a hotel under the Millennium/Copthorne group, this is a real shame and a surprise that they are marketed as a 4-star hotel.

As you walk in to the driveway, a wicked cow-dung stench attacks your nostrils. The check-in and out were fine. Receptionist was warm and friendly. We got "upgraded" to a club room because there wasn't a twin room available. There's nothing "club" about this room. It was old, dank, dusty, musty. The noise from the AC could rival an old beaten railway track... if you can even call it air conditioning. It does no cooling! Just temperate stale air billowing. We sweated through the night both nights we were there. Carpets and chair stained. And who charges for internet anymore, especially for a 4-star hotel in a bustling metropolis!? Second and any following device is free but speeds were so slow it barely worked.

We stayed at a smaller AC-less B&B the following night and it was a welcome reprieve to the lousy conditions we have had to put up with at the Millennium Gloucester. Will never return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear bluecurrant,

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay us. I apologise that the wifi did not work effectively for you throughout your stay.
I must also apologise for the inconvenience caused by the inefficient air conditioning unit in your room. These have been duly noted for action.
On the positive note I'm happy to hear that you were pleased with our location and reception team.

We truly hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the future where we can give you the high standard stay that we are normally commended for.

newcastle
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The recent stay at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel was excellent. This was the second trip within the last four months and I will certainly book this hotel again. The assistance with the booking was first class and the standard of accommodation could not be faulted. The room was spacious and comfortable; it was prepared to a high standard. The staff were excellent, always very helpful and efficient, as well as friendly and courteous. I valued the help and the information from the concierge service. Overall, I am delighted with this hotel and would certainly recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
ChrisvanDamGM, General Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear whisperNewcastle,

Thank you for your review and am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us again.

I have passed on your kind comments to the team and to the Concierge especially.

Thank you for recommendation and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Payed for an extra bed, however room was too small to take it. Had to climb over beds to access desk with phone. Hairdryer old and quickly overheated. Socket for hairdryer not working. No information in room re hotel facilities, or London attractions or restaurants. Breakfast only ok. Coffee awful, and food not hot enough. Had to pay for wifi. Iam not a person to complain easily, but I really feel this hotel is over priced. I stayed in a budget hotel at Stansted which was way superior.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear 238Charlie,

I am sorry that your experience during your recent stay fell short of our usual standards. We very much welcome all feedback, including the constructively critical, and will address the issues you have highlighted without delay.
I truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and to give you the high-standard stay that we are normally commended for

Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here before an event at the Royal Albert Hall and it was pretty good. Very good location and easy to find.

As others have noted the rooms and bathrooms are a bit dated and faded but mine wasn't too bad. Shower had good pressure but the bathroom was pretty old school.

Lack of free wifi was pretty rubbish - wasn't so bad for me as I wasn't in the hotel too much and I'm from the UK so I can use 3g data for free but if I was on holiday from another country this would cause a bit of an issue.

Staff were really good. Bar was fine, usual London and hotel prices. Breakfast was excellent.

On leaving I got the bellhop to get me a cab - seems it's no mean feat! He did well to get us one but we had to wait a while - not his fault, but slightly strange in one of the busiest cities in the world.

Ultimately the hotel was fine. However it was quite expensive (luckily work picked up the tab) and I know for a fact that there are better hotels at more reasonable prices in London. If you can get a deal on it though, it's worth a punt.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rekrabwuh
Dear Rekrabwuh,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.
We value all feedback and have noted your comments regarding the decor and wifi.
We welcome all comments, including the constructively critical, and will address the issues you have raised.
On a positive note, I am pleased to hear that you found our location and staff to be great.