“Security of guests and their property NOT a real priority”

Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #530 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Jamaica
“Security of guests and their property NOT a real priority”
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Having stayed at this hotel at least 10 times over the past 6 years my I suffered the worst experience just last week when I stayed there with my mother. She arrived 3 days before I did and on Monday 6 of June while having a bowl of soup in the hotel piano bar her handbag was stole right off the chair where she was seated. She lost everything, thousands (money, credit cards, cell phones , prescription glasses etc), except her passport. One or two of the hotel staff members were helpful but it was very disappointing to learn that she was advised that SHE would have to go to the police station to report the incident. Worse yet she was told to take a taxi or the tube to do so. Remember she had no $. Fortunately a female staff member, Julie, showed some compassion and assisted her with transportation.

I arrived the next day. The police called a couple times to give an update on their investigation. No one from the hotel did. We had to BEG a few times with the various front desk managers on duty for some sort of compassion and assistance. Remember we have been staying there many years now. What was interesting was that some staff members, not management, expressed concern about how the matter was being handled and kept insisting that we continue to speak to the management. Something didn't feel right!

That aside when we were checking out some charges which, it was agreed, would be waived, appeared on our bill so we had to ask for the manager on duty AGAIN. This time it was Nick. He then mentioned to my mother that he had heard that at the time of the incident she left her bag unattended in the piano bar and went to the concierge for a newspaper. She then lost her composure! That was a complete lie and there are security cameras to show. she demanded to know where that information came from and whether it was in any report. Nick refused to tell her anything and mentioned that he was really asking a question. What a lie! I then told him, shouting, that he was full if it and the hotel has no regard or compassion for guests who are robbed IN their hotel. That was when we got some attention but not much.

The security person came along, said he had heard of the incident and wanted to know what was being done about it. He also asked us what we wanted him to do. THIS IS THE HOTEL SECURITY PERSONNEL. Need I say anything more?

So we checked out on June 14, 2010 with the menial discount we BEGGED for vowing never to return.

Having recommended this hotel to many friends and family over the years we have no choice now but to change our position. The experience has left such a bad taste that we could not in all consciousness recommend the Millennium Gloucester to anyone we know.

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sunderland
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We purchased the holiday as a "mystery hotel weekend" with the Superbreak Company so my friend and I were a little apprehensive. We need not have worried. The hotel location was perfect for all London attractions. The room on the 7th floor was one of the largest I've ever stayed in and certainly the largest London room. All the staff were friendly from Reception to the maids and Concierge. Breakfast was of good quality with plenty of choice and totally unhurried. Our room was spotless. I do agree with the other reviewers that the bar prices were very much on the pricey side, however there were plenty of pubs and shops nearby. A "super" Superbreak indeed. Thank you Millenium Gloucester. Worth checking out are the guided London Walks, we did one around South Kensington, met some lovely people that evening and agreed the activity is perfect for the lone traveller looking for a bit of company or indeed friends looking for "something different".

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
nitinparte, Manager at Millennium Gloucester Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 4 July 2010
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel. We are always pleased to receive positive feedback from our guests.

On behalf of all the staff I would like to thank you for your time and efforts that you have taken to let us know about your pleasant experience with us. Please feel free to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance for your next visit.

Yours sincerely
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2010

Stayed for 5 nights at the end of April. Excellent location practically on the doorstep of the tube with a 24hr Tesco Express almost opposite. On arrival I found that "my name wasn't on the list" but unlike at some nightclubs it was no problem, they didn't turn me away and it was sorted within minutes. Very plush entrance and immediately impressive when you walk into the Lobby. Room was fine with a large TV and UK and European satelitte channels. I ate in the bar, in my room and in two of the hotel resturants (linked with next door hotel) and I enjoyed the food. Would definitely return if staying in London for leisure.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MikeyBEssex
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about your stay with us on tripadvisor.

I appreciate your nice comments about the location of the Millennium Gloucester Hotel, and the fact that you think we offer great value.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel in the near future.

With Kind Regards

London
Reviewed 1 June 2010

2 mins from Gloucester Rd tube....walked into the bar and there was the Singapore Air Crew in all their glory! Fantastic!
I've stayed here half a dozen times over the last year and this is a great hotel.....rooms are smart and clean and the beds are very comfortable.....some rooms give free internet and room bar which is nice.
The bar is small and the brecky is buffet style.
I park here sometimes but it costs £35....
Overalll not as posh as the Mayfair but good VFM...Staff always good.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business

Yours sincerely

Front Desk Mananger
Scotland
Reviewed 29 May 2010

Ideal location for a girls weekend in London. Clean, comfortable rooms. Fantastic range of food on offer for breakfast. Hotel bar very pricey - over £30 for four drinks! But it is London - plenty of other places close by to go for a cheaper drink.! Only other slightly bizarre experience was a member of staff knocked on our door at 0845 to check the mini bar?? Overall a great hotel at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor.Thank you very much for bringing those comments to our notice and rest assured that they have been communicated to the individual.
Please accept my sincesrest apologies for the inconvenience caused

I sincerely hope we can welcome you back in the near future at the Millennium Gloucester Hotel London to experience a stay that is representative of our usual standards.

With kind Regards

Indiana
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We have stayed a the Millenium Gloucester Hotel a couple of times before. I decided to write a review because this stay was different than the previous stays. It's still a very nice hotel in a great location, 30 yards from the Gloucester Road tube station, 12 minutes from the Victoria and Albert and 20 minutes from Hyde Park. This trip was different. We had problems with out initial room. You learn a lot about a hotel when there are problems. Once the manager realized that we would not be able to stay in our room they moved us to another room within 5 minutes. They upgraded our room and gave us a bottle of wine for our trouble, but it was the way this young man recognized that we were tired from traveling and just want to get unpacked and relax that made it special. He made our problem his problem and owned it until we were satified. You just don't experience that very often. I don't know if that was part of his training or part of his personality, but he did everything within his power to correct our problem and we really appreciate that. As I said it is a very nice hotel, one that I would recommend and the service was excellent.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Indy46140
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 May 2010

We were pleasantly surprised when we got out of the Underground station at the Gloucester Road stop and turned the corner to find that this hotel was located right there! This proved to be a very convenient location both for the close proximity to the Underground as well as to the pubs and restaurants located on the surrounding blocks. The Gloucester Road stop is just a few stops away from the airport, city center, and the St. Pancras station (where Eurostar and the other train lines are located).

We were put in a room with twin beds our first night (at no fault of the hotel's; the site we booked our reservation with had confirmed the room incorrectly) and the staff went to great lengths to make sure we were switched to the room we thought we had reserved for the next night. The rooms were spacious and the staff were always willing to answer any questions or tend to any needs we had.

The one thing we should've paid more attention to is that the wifi is not free. It's slightly misleading because the site advertises wifi and we just assumed that it was no charge because who charges for wifi anymore?!? There was a Starbucks around the corner which did provide this service at no charge.

We would highly recommend and would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple