“Large well run hotel but rooms very variable”

Hilton London Olympia
Ranked #679 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Hampshire
“Large well run hotel but rooms very variable”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

As a result of a booking error, I stayed here on two consecutive weekends. On the first one, I ended up in a nasty little room whose window overlooked a light well. The second time, I had the planned upgraded room, which was rather better. So my advice is to avoid the standard rooms. Both rooms were clean, but would benefit from some redecoration; the colour scheme was somewhat outdated. The location is excellent when attending events at Olympia and easy to reach by train at Kensington Olympia and by bus from most other parts of London. The Underground service to Kensington Olympia only runs at weekends though, which is not helpful in the week! Check-in staff were efficient and helpful. Breakfast was slightly chaotic, with some queues for the hot food, but on the whole the breakfast was a satisfactory experience. Rates at this hotel are often slightly below average for London, and on this basis it makes a good value for money choice.

Room Tip: Avoid small standard rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
RiaanStiglingh, Director of Operations at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Hampshire-resident

We are delighted that you returned a second time and that we were able to meet your expectations upon your return.

We apologise for the delay during breakfast however I am pleased that you found the food to be satisfactory.

As an organisation we appreciate the feedback and incorporate these into the ongoing training plan for the hotel. I have shared your feedback on the check in team with the relevant Head of Department to action.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Good hotel slightly expensive but not too far from west end and Hyde park
Caught bus from Euston to get there 15mins ride tube station round corner
So easy travel round lLondon
Good hotel if you can get a deal onit

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Brian S ,

Thank you for the encouraging review and for taking the time to reflect on your stay.

We appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2013

It is definitely convenient for those that attend events in Olympia , otherwise getting at central London is a challenge . If you don't want to pay big amounts of money for taxis then bus is the alternative which is overcrowded almost ever time . Underground is not the case here- have to walk for ten minutes - a quick walker- to reach Kensington high street station. Rooms are quite small and average. Too much carpet . Small washroom but clean. Food and drinks good both a t the restaurant or the bar. Polite staff.

Room Tip: Try the Hilton honors member card before traveling , could end up with an upgrade.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Lillian K,

Thank you for the review and for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

We look forward to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future and allow us the opportunity to improve on your previous experience

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My family and I very recently stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights during midweek. I had business to attend to in London and my family wanted to go on a summer shopping spree. I needed a hotel in the Kensington area of London and purchased the two double rooms via a popular website using the Secret Hotel option.

I called the hotel the day before our arrival to confirm the booking. The phone call was answered quickly and efficiently, which, in my books, is an indication of good customer service. I was not disappointed.

The hotel is very strategically located in the western part of High Street Kensington (a hotpoint for high street shopping) leading westwards to Hammersmith. Less than 20 yards in front of the hotel, you can catch the bus number 10. Its route goes east towards Kensington, Knightsbridge, Hyde Park Corner and Oxford Street up to Euston Station. It travels westwards to Hammersmith. Route 9 bus takes you to Picaddily, Trafalgar up to Covent Garden via Knightsbridge and Hyde Park Corner. The C1 and 49 route are on the hotel doorsteps and are a few stops away from Westfields Shopping Mall (Shepard's Bush station). If you want to travel via train, the Olympia station is less than 5 minutes walk serving overground and underground routes.

The location of the hotel allows you to quickly access swanky Chelsea area. Not too far is the West Kensington for a more local appeal. Food and restaurants are in abundance to cater for different choices and cuisines. The hotel has an adjacent Costa Coffee. The hotel has a basement car parking lot for £35 a day (I drove to London). There is also a health club but none of the family used it (there was no time to spare!!)

The hotel lobby is large and its wall is made of glass so it had an airy feeling when the sunshines. You can sit and see the world outside as it passes by. There is also a glass staircase to the bar and restaurant on the first level. The gentleman at the check-in greeted us with a smile and did his best, but unsuccessfully, to get us two adjacent rooms or at the very least, rooms on the same floor. My wife and I opted for the room on the first floor, and my daughters took the room on the third floor.

The breakfast is of very good quality and quantity. You can purchase a breakfast voucher for £12 at the front desk if your reservation does not include it. For what you get in return, it is an absolute bargain by London standards! There is enough space to cater for a lot of customers so the queue is short. There is a good choice of both hot and cold food. The fruits and bread were fresh ingredients (an important factor for breakfast!!)

Lastly, and least, we come to the rooms !!! The rooms are why I have given this hotel a 3 rating rather than a higher rating. They are just so outdated and bland!! The flat screen Samsung TV is probably the only item that is contemporary. The bathroom looked equally archaic and the bathroom products were of average quality. I could hear the outside traffic and the pedestrians' conversations from inside (the windows were shut). The air condition wasn't efficient and making a loud rumbling noise. The corridor smelt of cigarette smoking that seem to engulf the room as well. Thankfully, the rooms were clean.

Luckily, we did not stay in our rooms for long periods other to sleep there. We are out by 10 am max, meet together by 6 pm and out again for the evening by 7.30pm and back tiredly to sleep by 11pm. So, the quality of the room was not a major factor. Nevertheless, I may have paid for the most basic of rooms but still you do expect a bit better quality from a Hilton!

The hotel's location is just what anyone might need to access central London, for the price. The prices of a hotel any closer to Kensington/central London areas would be much much more dear. The hotel is more suited for the business travelers and/or shoppers or very short stays.

My family and I were impressed with the good customer services. Whenever we approach the front desk, we are greeted with genuine politeness. I value customer service very highly whenever i write about hotel experience because I believe that, unlike rooms/buildings and facilities that can be renovated easily and quickly, it requires a lot of effort and time to improve. Customer service is a true reflection of the hotel's commitment to its customers and how much it values them.

Overall, a hotel with a great location and customer service but is let down by poor room quality. So to answer the burning question, would I go back again? The answer is a YES!

Notwithstanding, I plead to the hotel's management, PLEASE PLEASE, do something about the rooms !!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the first floor because of outside noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nadir O
Dear Nadir O,

You have given us such a through and detailed review that I feel rather ill equipped to merely thank you.

The team and I appreciate your encouraging and positive feedback and the time you had taken to observe the team and you’re through knowledge of the lobby, reception and Public area spaces.

We are delighted that we met your expectations from the time you called to your check in and breakfast during the stay.

I apologise that we were unable to offer you connecting rooms and hope that this did not cause the family any stress or discomfort.

The Team and I are very proud to be working at the Hilton London Olympia and we use all feedback to ensure we follow a robust program to improve the overall experience of our guests.

I have shared you feedback and comments with the team for future actions

We look forward to welcoming you and the Family back very soon

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Me and my partner have stayed at this Hilton three times in the past 2 years and it has yet to disappoint us.

We've been upgraded for free, when rooms have been available.

Staff have always been polite and approachable.

The location is great if you're staying for the exhibition centre down the road.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
RiaanStiglingh, Director of Operations at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Matt S

Thank you for the encouraging feedback on the Hotel and staff, we are always pleased when guests return and that we are able to make your stay a more memorable one.

Best Regards
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This hotel is a total embarrassment for the Hilton Hotel Chain! We had no heat but a space heater (fire hazard) was provided. The toilet was busted and would not flush. The shower would not work, but there was hot water if you waited long enough. This is hotel must be avoided, there are a couple zillion hotel rooms in London ... do not stay at this place. The location sucks, the staff was a "sorry" group of individuals none representing a major hotel chain such as HILTON. Spending the night in the Tower of London in winter would be more comfortable and accommodating. I think Anne Bolyn would prefer the Tower to this scary place. This is without-a-doubt the worst hotel in Europe ... maybe on the while planet! Stay somewhere else ... even sleeping in a tube station offers more amenities that this sorry hotel. If you decide to stay in this over-priced, poorly located hotel ... don't say I didn't warn you in advance!

Room Tip: Try any hotel chain other than this Hilton ... or after this experience ANY Hilton!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CharlieTouchdown
Dear CharlieTouchdown,

Sincere apologies that you found your stay an unpleasant experience, I have emailed you using the email address provided in the profile to ask for more detailed feedback on the team and look forward to your email.

The team and I are here 24/7 to assist our guests and I had not been made aware of the problems you and your partner had been experiencing.

regulations

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

ft lauderdale, FL
Reviewed 4 August 2013

In May 2013 we took a Trafalgar tour of Wales, England and Scotland that started in London and included 2 days at the Hilton Olympia. We booked 3 additional days at this hotel through Trafalgar since my partner had not been to London and we wanted to really see the sites prior to the bus portion of the tour. We paid Trafalgar $300 per day for the additional 3 days and expected that this would be a decent hotel. As others have said in their reviews, the lobby is the best part of the hotel. It was cold in London and we had no heat in our room. After 3 separate visits by maintenance employees, another appeared at the door with a plug in space heater and stated that the heat in our room could not be fixed. Our experience with the plumbing was just as bad. I do floor exercises each morning and you should see the dirt under the beds. I noticed at breakfast each day that lots of people were complaining about their rooms. The breakfast food was good, maybe it is outsourced. The Trafalgar representative who was in the lobby for a couple hours each day (apparently they use this hotel for a base for a lot of their tours) said that he has never been anywhere except the lobby. My mistake was in assuming that a Hilton would be decent and assuming that Trafalgar had ever looked at the rooms before using this hotel as a base. My advise is to avoid this hotel if you want a pleasant stay in London.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jimtotravel
Dear jimtotravel,

Apologies that you and your partner did not enjoy your stay in May in London and that you felt let down.

Please rest assured that we do take your safety very serious and the additional heater that was supplied is regularly PEAR checked to ensure that it complies with all Health and Safety regulations.

We endeavour to ensure each of our guests have a trouble free stay and in the unlikely event that problems do occur we have a manager on duty 24/7 that will be able to assist to rectify the problems.

The breakfast is cooked by the team in house and I am pleased that you enjoyed it.

We have a very professional working relationship with all the Representative of Trafalgar and will certainly feedback your comments to them