“Good Location for Events at the Olympia”

Hilton London Olympia
Ranked #684 of 1,069 Hotels in London
No. VA
“Good Location for Events at the Olympia”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The Hilton Olympia was a very good hotel, espicially for events at the Olympia Exhibition Hall. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It is currently being renovated, but that did not affect my stay. I'd recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
RiaanStiglingh, Director of Operations at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
I am pleased that your stay was a pleasant one and that you found our team helpful and friendly. It is always a concern during renovations that we do not inconvenience any guest and I am happy that you were not affected during your stay. Thank you for your recommendation and feedback

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I like Hilton hotels. OK, the loyalty programme they have tends to lead me to them, but in general they get things right, consistently so, and when things go wrong, they have the capability to make things good.

The hotel is OK. Just OK. I have never seen any trace of dirt in any Hilton hotel, and the decor of both the room and the hotel in general is bright and interesting. The room was a little small, but well furnished. I suspect that the room size is because the hotel is actually in Kensington, and there is very little that Hilton can do about it. Its a pleasant area, so expensive. Everything worked in the room, the aircon, showers, TV etc. No problems at all. The coffee shop is part of the hotel and is really good for a decent cheap (very cheap but not poor quality) coffee. One of the delights about this hotel is that there is an independent wine merchant just 20 meters from the entrance. I'll write a review about this shop as it deserves it, but just to summarise, they love wine, and have some superb wines which dont drain the pocket overly much. You can pick up a half bottle of superb chablis in the shop for the same price as a glass of really ordinary wine in the Hilton bar.

The location is surprisingly good. Its a pleasant and interesting walk into Kensington, with Holland Park just a few hundred meters away. There are many superb shops and good restaurants.

Check in was poor. It was very busy and there was only one person working the front desk. 20 minutes to check in, and numerous faces looking from behind the desks only to disappear again. Even supermarkets put staff on the tills when the shop is busy. Hilton could do at least that.

The staff, however, need to think about their guests and frankly, not humiliate them. Thats right. Humiliated. My wife and I went for breakfast, and the restaurant manager asked for our room number. He said that there was only one breakfast on the room. I was certain that I had booked a double room for two people, including breakfast but the manager was quite defiant. This was in front of a restaurant which was quite full. I explained again that I had booked for two people. The manager again said that there was only one guest on the list. He called reception to confirm, and again stated that there was only one guest, and that I must have the breakfast charged to the room. The breakfast was going to end soon, but I went quickly to the room and got my paper confirmation. Again the manager said that there was only one breakfast and that I should pay for the second. I was livid. I showed him the confirmation and 5 minutes later he returned, after consulting someone, and with the briefest of apologies, I was invited to my table and the breakfast was provided. I did ask the duty manager to explain, but her explanation was poor. She just did not know why this had happened, and could not explain the call the manager had made to reception. It is plain incompetence. Whilst I would have been rather neutral about the hotel in general, the service was undoubtedly poor.

1 Thank harveyt252
Thank you for the detailed feedback you shared with us and for taking the time to do so. I am pleased that you found the Hotel met with your needs and that the location was favourable for your visit.

I am sorry to read about your experience with both check in and breakfast and have tasked the respective managers to investigate and action with their teams. I apologise that you felt humiliated by the actions of the team . We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel was 5 minutes walk from Olympia, the hotel staff were friendly, we had 2 doubles booked but on arrival we were told only twin rooms available, after saying we were not happy with this we had a free upgrade to a suite and our friends were upgraded to an executive double. The breakfast was great and would be great value for money if you had to pay, ours was included in our price. The beds were the best we have slept on in all the trips we have had to London.

Room Tip: Do not have a room facing the road as there is a pelican crossing outside the hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
I am delighted that the team were able to Make it right on the day when you reported your concerns and that you had a great stay.
Thank you for taking the time to write to us and for giving us your feedback.
Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

very good hotel for Kensington and all the west end if prepared to walk. Staff were very polite and helpful. Room was on the top floor (8) and was of a good size with all you need and more for an overnight stay. Restaurant food was of a high standard and with a 2 for 20 plus glass of house wine was very good value.
There was however one drawback and that we only discovered when awakened by extractor fans or air-conditioning units on the roof.
if this were a theatre that I was booking tickets for the best you could say would be very restricted view. It is a shame that the staff could not be upfront about the rooms that are affected by noise before you book.

Room Tip: Check the noise levels before you book it could save you a disturbed nights sleep
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
I have shared your feedback with the team and we apologise that you left feeling less than pleased with your stay and that the noise from the Air-condition unit interrupted your night. I am delighted that you found the Food and Wine selection of a high standard and that the location met with your needs. Thank you for your feedback
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at weekend for good food show. Room was ok. Extremely lumpy bed. Hard mattress with lumpy bed topper!
Slept ok until awoken by cleaners constantly opening a sliding cupboard door near to our room (649) from about 530am onwards every 10mins. I am heavy sleeper but the noise was very loud!!!
Lovely buffet breakfast in the morning with a good selection.
This was our second stay at this hotel and we probably won't return again. I didn't make a complaint but I would of made a fuss we were staying for more than one night.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I have asked the Housekeeping Manager to investigate your points of concerns and to take any corrective action needed. I apologise that you were woken by the cleaning team and have addressed this with them. Thank you for your lovely comments on breakfast

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I've got to say I think this is a good hotel for the price I paid. I was staying in London on business at Earls Court so I could walk to the exhibition centre in around 10 minutes, or on one of the days I had a meeting near Tottenham Court Rd so headed on the bus right outside, all the way with no changes! The reception is nice, modern and clean. The check in staff were very friendly and courteous. The concierge was very helpful when asking him a couple of questions. The rooms were fine, I like the Hilton bedding so knew i'd get a pretty good night sleep. The only gripe I have with Hilton is that they put the showers in the baths - this hotel is no exception, but if you're over 3ft tall you have to break into some doubled up arched back routine to attempt to get your hair wet, and it is an attempt as the shower seems to dribble out, which is odd given the water pressure for the bath was pretty strong. Breakfast was good, and it's clear this hotel is used to catering for a crowd regularly as there were a lot of people at breakfast but despite me trying to trip them up by ordering odd things, they came through every time. For the price and location I think this is alright, i'll stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the detailed and encouraging feedback, I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that the team you engaged with were helpful, friendly and looked after you. The hotel is very well connected with transport links and I am pleased that you travelled from the hotel to central London without any problems . We look forward to welcoming you back very soon
Poole, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I really enjoyed my stay and found the staff to be particularly welcoming and friendly. We parked in the hotel car park which is very convenient as it connects to the hotel itself, (this wasn't cheap, but that is to be expected when staying in London). We went off on our travels for the day and were able to walk to Westfield shopping centre (about 25min walk). After a long day, I enjoyed a hot bath (good for me as I am only 5ft2, but you might not be able to stretch out in the bath if you are tall) and I found the room very spacious and cosy whilst getting ready for the evening. The bed was very comfortable and I had a really good sleep which is my main priority when staying at a hotel!
Breakfast is buffet style and my eyes nearly popped out of their sockets with the amount of choice! Fresh fruit, granola, yoghurt, full english, toast, cereal, croissants.....the list goes on! The staff offer a choice of hot drinks at your table as well.
We were also able to walk to Earl's Court from our hotel (roughly a 15min walk) so it really is a great location.
Overall, I wished I was staying another night and I would highly recommend the Hilton London Olympia to anyone and would definitely return their myself!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
I was delighted to read that you had a great stay and have shared your comments with the teams. They are all very passionate about great customer services and I am pleased they contributed to your stay . We look forward to welcoming you back very soon