A close pal of mine managed to get a very good discounted rate for this place, so I was grateful in this regard.
The hotel is well located at the western end of Kensington High Street, close to Kensington Olympia Overground. It's probably a good 10 minute walk to the Kensington High Street Underground.
I'm guessing the building probably dates from the early 1970's, and despite some upgrading internally the place still belies its origins.
Our room was clean and relatively spacious. However, the décor was very 1980's traditional and not really cutting edge. The bathroom whilst clean looked dated and vaguely shabby. The toilet seat in our room had also worked completely loose from the WC.
I found it hard to believe that the bottled water in the room was actually chargeable, particularly when eau d' London isn't exactly known for its spa qualities! I've stayed in far cheaper places where a bottled water is offered on a complimentary basis. It's not a lot to ask for really!
The other rip-off was the £15 per day charge for wi-fi. The costs of providing this must be negligible so there must be good margins on this for Hilton. Perhaps they should charge for other media like TV also?
We took the breakfast option the following morning, although we had not booked in advance so it was £17 as opposed to the £12 if we had paid earlier. The choice and quality of the food was good, but £12 was probably a closer reflection of its true worth?
The staff were falling over themselves to serve us on our arrival at our table, yet it wasn't readily apparent if it was table or self service, which perhaps could have been avoided if there'd been a better welcome at the door. Staff seemed to have been indoctrinated with corporatism rather than delivering genuinely good service.
Whilst my overall experience was generally OK, I do get the impression that this particular Hilton establishment is riding on a name? Maybe it's one in their portfolio that they are looking to refurbish or offload? Fine if you're on business or leisure, but there are probably better places around for the equivalent full price bracket.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay at the Hilton London Olympia hotel on bustling Kensington High Street, 2 minute' walk from Olympia Exhibition Centre, 10-15 minutes from Earl's Court Exhibition Centre and Westfield London Shopping Centre. Try our quintessentially British menu in our fabulous interior designed Society Restaurant inspired by the Victorian era or relex and enjoy our delicious cocktails and nibbles in Society Bar. Do business in one of our 10 newly refurbished meeting rooms, unwind in the fitness centre, or enjoy our COSTA coffee shop. Heathrow airport is 14 miles away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hilton London Olympia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton London Olympia Hotel London
- Hilton Olympia London
- London Hilton Olympia Hotel