“Excellent Service; Grim Hotel”

Hilton London Olympia
Ranked #684 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Wales
“Excellent Service; Grim Hotel”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Passing through London on my birthday I decided to treat myself to a hotel and as a Hiltonhonors member I naturally chose a Hilton Hotel. However, it would seem I chose the wrong one. The rooms are grim. Dark brown decor, stained carpets and tired dark brown wood furniture. My booked room was like a prison cell-very depressing! In fairness, the excellent Hilton staff did everything they could to find me another room, even offering me an upgrade. However, the executive rooms are just as grim (the bed is merely bigger) and I opted for a disabled room that at least had a large picture window to alleviate the sense of gloom on what was supposed to be my birthday. This room however was pretty noisy at night as it overlooked the main road. I have a few other issues with Hilton. Last time I used a Hilton they provided complimentary bottles of water. Now, they have a sinister computerized tray that charges bottled water to your account even if you just knock the bottle over. And forget about chilling your own water. The mini bar is locked and you have to ask the front desk to unlock it and I assume that this is also computerized as it look like a vending machine. I understand the neglect of the hotel. The clientele are mainly third world flight crew and budget tour groups. Fair enough. But Hilton marketed it as a massive reduction on a pretty high rack rate. So my expectations were high. Essentially, even at sale price it was over-priced, even for London. Other chains (a certain French brand) offer complete refunds if customer dissatisfaction is not resolved and I intend to cut-up my Hiltonhonors card and use these other hotel chains in future.

Room Tip: Book another hotel! There are not good rooms, I was shown a selection at different budget levels
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank CelestiaWales
BarbaraMatheson, General Manager at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor, I was sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NZ
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here one night, and chose it because we were leaving early the following morning on a European tour which picked us up at the door. The problem is that the price and the place do not match up. It was very expensive yet the fit out of the rooms and the place as a whole is very average. Breakfast was included but turned out to be a few things in a paper bag. For the price a waiter should have served us on a silver tray. Worst of all when we tried to check in we were told the room wasn't ready and we were asked to wait for a while (this was at 6pm!). I have travelled extensively and understand that you get what you pay for - in this case we did not.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank go_to_oz
Thank you for your review, I was disappointed to read that you felt your experience was poor on this occasion. We do offer an extensive breakfast, available from 6.30am daily, alternatively room service breakfast can be dilvered to your room from 5.30am.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Hong Kong
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Those expecting this to be the same as your other Hilton experiences, think twice. Hotel is very dated and really needs a overhaul. Not the type of quality you would expect from Hilton. The staff being excellent was the only upside to this stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Hin Kei Roger L
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to London and for taking the time to share your feedback.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I simple chose this hotel because of the location as I had to stay near Kensington High Street. Overall the hotel is quite old but that is not a surprise in Central London. However more than renovation the hotel needs some serious staff training. Everything was a struggle, whether it is a check in, lost key or room service order. During our check-in process we had two split bookings as one was made online and another one through the hotel directly. For the lady at the reception it seemed like the most complicated thing in the world and she kept disappearing inside back office to get some advise for every question we have asked her. Another sad thing - next to that lady was another one with trainee badge, which means we were deailing with already "experienced" staff member. Basically every interaction with the staff was quite difficult and even though some of them try to be genuinely helpful, they need some service trainings and even basic english training. Probably when you would go to small hotel in some little town in the south of Europe you would not expect much, but my expectations about hotels in London were much higher than the level of service in Hilton Olympia.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank around_the_world684
Thank you for your feedback which certainly helps us to monitor and improve our training and facilities for the future.
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights. It had a big and spacious room, but the bathroom was drafted and needed som upgrading badly. After a shower the entire bathroom floor was floated. But the worst thing was the noise from the street. I thought it would be better, but it didn't. Every day and night was noisy and it felt like we had the windows open at all time. The staff was friendly, and we didn't eat at the hotel. I would not stay at this hotel again mainly because of the noise. I didn't sleep! I used to much money on taxi, because the lack of subway. Taking the bus took forever. I got a great deal on our stay, so it was Ok because of that. But this is not Hilton standard.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Linn-Therese
RiaanStiglingh, Director of Operations at Hilton London Olympia, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I am sorry that you felt we did not meet your expectations.

London is a busy and popular city and at time it does feel that it never sleeps. I apologies that you found the noise disturbed your rest.

I noted you had some reservations with transport please permit me to share some recommendations with you for your next London visit.

The number 9/10 bus stop is located just outside the Hotel and is an easy and relatively short commute to central London
Knights Bridge tube Station

Baron's Court Tube Station
Palliser Road, London, Hammersmith, W14 9EA
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

If you want to stay near the big exhibition centres in West London (eg Earl's Court, Olympia etc ) this hotel is in a good spot.
I enjoyed walking around the Earl's Court and West Kensington streets.
Lots of nice places to eat, a few characterful pubs too.
Easy access to underground transport if you don't mind a 10 minute walk.
The Kensington Olympia tube station basically does not seem to have any tube trains, so best to walk to West Kensington.
That was the nearest and the streets were well lit and felt safe.
Lots of black cabs / taxis pass by the front door, so that should not be a problem (unless its raining !).

It is not a swanky Hilton. Its a functional Hilton.
I wouldn't chose it for a romantic mini-break for example.
Everything works, but some of the public areas need a bit of a makeover.
The staff are efficient and lots of air crews stay here along with tour groups.
Its what I would describe as an efficient and functional Hilton hotel.

The exec lounge (on the 2nd floor) is a good place to find a few snacks and drinks if needed. Not very private for meetings.

The bedroom I was in was at the far end of a corridor, so was nice and quiet (away from any elevators) and had nice views to the West and North.

Wifi supposedly available in the rooms, but I could not get it to work.
My 3G signal was strong and fast enough by itself, but for overseas visitors, you would pay enormous roaming charges, so not ideal.

Great views across London from some of the higher floors.
My photos don't really do them justice as taken from a smart phone.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write to us and share your feedback.
I am pleased that our location was a favourable one and that it met with your needs and expectations and that you found commuting from and to the Hotel easy.

I was happy to read that the staff looked after you and that you enjoyed the executive Lounge. I have noted you concern regarding the Wi-Fi and have passed these to our Service provider BT Open zone.

Thank you for the tip on using 3G whilst roaming

We look for to welcoming you back in the very near future
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Okay so the place needs a bit of a refit, but who cares. The location is excellent being in a quieter area of the capital with easy access to its beautiful parks and only a tube journey to its sights. I was in a single room which was well designed and importantly clean. Breakfast is a buffet style with plenty of choice and good service. All in all this was a pleasant experience.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank ptrheaney
I was delighted to read that you found the location excellent and that you enjoyed the surrounding parks and amenities and that you found the transport links easy and effective.

We are pleased you enjoyed the breakfast and the service and that your stay and experience with us was a pleasant one.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Thank you for taking the time to write to us and share your feedback