“Excellent location for London”

Holiday Inn London Kensington Forum
Ranked #485 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Excellent location for London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is definitely worth staying in. My only complaint (and it is one I have seen in reviews about this hotel before) is that my early morning arrival request was ignored (they also in fact had me booked for one night short but sorted that out). Actually, another complaint is the exorbitant price of their wifi. What hotel in 2013 charges wifi these days? You can, however, go around the corner to almost every coffee shop/restaurant and find it for free so unless you have to have it in the hotel, avoid paying their rate (currently 5 pounds an hour).

Other than this, I found my room more than sufficient...the bathroom, while compact, had an excellent shower (a must for me) and it was generally very quiet. When you book, however, ask for a room away from the lifts as the door banging when early people leave will wake you.

About my only negative of the room is that there is not a safe which I think is a must in a hotel, especially in an international city like London.

The breakfast is excellent and really great value. I didn't eat other meals in the restaurant but did have a few snacks and coffee's in their cafe on the ground floor and it was also very nice.

Another great thing is the location - the Gloucester Road tube is literally behind the hotel and there are a constant stream of cabs at the hotel if you prefer to go via cab. I never had to wait once. In addition, so many fabulous places are within walking distance (shops, Hyde Park, restaurants, etc. etc.) making it really worth staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (although mine overlooked the road and was never noisy) away from the lifts as...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CreateAStirSA
Alicia T, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Kensington Forum, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear CreateAStirSA,
Thank you for submitting a review about our Hotel. Your feedback is very valuable to us and I am certainly sharing it with our team. We are definitely fortune to be located so centrally, with the tube station nearby, there are many links to the various attractions London has to offer. Once again, thank you for staying with us and for your review about our hotel. We hope to welcome you back when next you visit London.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Roma, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is very well located as it is close to the tube and to many shops and supermarkets.
The room we had was a twin one, quite small with a very tiny bathroom but OK when you have to use it only to take a power nap or sleep in the night.
I have to tell that the bedding is really really good. The mattress is confy and the duve is warm and soft. I really appreciate the pillow menu.
Very good daily housekeeping.
There is no mini bar so you'd better buy a bottle of water before going to the room and there is no safety box which is a weakness point for this hotel.
The check in was fast and we only used the concierge once. The concierge operator was very well informed but not very smiling and friendly.
The pub on the ground floor is very cosy and open until late in the night.
I will come back to this hotel for sure.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fealuna
Dear Fealuna
Thank you for your lovely review. It gives me great pleasure in knowing how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and I have shared your comments with the rest of the team. We look forward to welcome you back to the Hotel when next you visit London.
Oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Surrounded as it is by busy roads, shops, and junctions, you would expect this establishment to struggle to offer a peaceful night's sleep. However, having asked for a quiet room, I was allocated one which did not overlook the main street, and I ended up having a wonderfully good night's sleep, awaking refreshed. However, I was astounded to discover that there was a hefty charge to use the wi-fi in the room - a real disappointment, as I had intended doing some work while in the room. When I asked whether there was at least free wi-fi in the lobby, I was told that this was not available either: I would still have to pay for access. This policy, as other reviewers have mentioned, seems extremely short-sighted in this day and age. Unfortunately, although I would otherwise have been happy to stay again on other counts, this fiddly and expensive wi-fi access will deter me from staying in this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for the quiet side of the building.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ridges012
Dear Ridges012,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review about our Hotel. We appreciate your constructive feedback in particular your comments regarding the internet which I have passed on to the management team, as I do know they are looking into this matter. At the moment, we do offer free wifi to our Gold and Platinum members. Once again, thank you for your time. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us and give you a greater feeling of what this hotel can really offer.
Cam, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Had a great night at the Kensington Forum hotel.
A group of us attended their monthly Caribbean evening (we had been about 5 years previously)
The food again was fantastic and offers a lot of variety, the only disappointment for me was the fried chicken which did not have an authentic taste like the rest of the buffet (i assume it was bought in).
The evening and disco is great, but the limbo goes on for far too long and disrupts the flow of the disco in my opinion.
The hotel itself was in a great location for us, a couple of nice pubs/bars nearby and we had a great night sleep, no noise at all.
Breakfast was great, although very busy they coped well and everything was replenished in a timely manner.
I was shocked to hear the omelette chef advise a Muslim woman he had cooked pork in the pan. There was 2 pans so I would suggest perhaps one should be left for vegetarian omelettes only to cater for all?
All in all a lovely stay and nice experience overall.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear stef_lass86,

It is lovely to hear great comments like yours and I am so happy that you enjoyed our Caribbean Experience. It sure is a great evening. Your feedback is very valuable to us and I thank you for your comments in regards to the omelettes, I will ensure this information gets fed back to our Executive Chef for review. Once again thank you for your time. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Mattituck, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

The Holiday Inn Kensington Forum is conveniently located. It is a 5 minute walk to the Underground station and the Hop On Hop Off bus. There are also pubs close by for a nice dinner and a pint. The room is a good size and the staff is helpful. The one negative is that there is no safe in the room. They have a room of safe deposit boxes, but I feel more comfortable with leaving my valuables in a safe in the room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank westview1
Alicia T, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Kensington Forum, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear westview1,
Many thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Sarlat-la-caneda, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel is overpriced and despite the announcement that all Holiday Inn Hotels world wide provide paying guests with complimentary Wifi (very important in today's business world) they would only give me one hour. The room was clean and tidy, no problems there, I refused to eat or drink in the hotel because of the Wifi issue, how can hotels be so short sighted? If I had been treated with more respect I would have had an evening meal, breakfast and possibly some drinks in the bar.

I have to compliment the staff at reception for their polite and welcoming demeanour. My complaint is with the management. I have just made a booking in another London hotel which suits my needs better.

I will not stay in another Holiday Inn until they live up to their promises.

Room Tip: Discuss with reception on arrival, this is a big hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alicia T, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London Kensington Forum, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear, Ewen53

Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Firstly, I must tell you this was definitely not my first choice. That was actually the Indigo Hotel near Paddington Station (also run by IHG) because I was under the impression Indigo would be more handy for transport. When that option fell through, I booked for a six night stay at HI Kensington Forum using reward points only. Would I regret my decision? Read on to find out.

My planned six night stay was reduced to five when Mr. Branson's airline delayed my flight for a whole day, and to add injury to insult, lost my luggage in New York for another day. Having arrived in an understandably upset mood at the hotel, my mind was soothed a great deal by the genuinely friendly and warm manner of the lady receptionist (an Afhgan speaker whose name begins with S). In fact, I had dealings with several receptionists during my stay, and can confidently state these are some of the finest IHG staff I've dealt with anywhere in the world. This is no mean feat considering what a really busy hotel it is! It is very much a large business hotel, catering also for conference goers and various airline crews.

My room was on the 14th floor with good views of several London landmarks. Guide books tend to repeat the mantra that London hotel rooms are small, but my standard double room was, exactly that...standard, not small. The decor was modern, bright and spare, with no discernible signs of wear and tear anywhere. Near the large window was a comfortable armchair, just right for good read. There is no separate desk as such, just a long bench top which holds the TV and tea and coffee making facilities. No international power sockets here, just standard UK, which is surprising for a business hotel. So don't forget your converter! There is small cupboard and a ironing board with attached iron, but guests will not find a room safe, bathrobes or slippers.These are small details, but good to know because they are standard features in many other HI. The bathroom was not the biggest, but was very clean and modern, with nice quality toiletries and bath linen replenished daily. My compliments to the Filipino housekeeper, a very thorough cleaner indeed.

As an IHG Plat status member, I got free wi-fi (which was fast and reliable); although other guests will have to pay on various plans offered. I must mention that laundry charges are not cheap and no service is available on Sunday. Another point worth mentioning is that during morning peak hour, you'll probably find yourself waiting a bit for the lifts, as they do get extremely busy at this time. Downstairs in the ground floor lobby is a large cafe serving meals throughout the day. You'll also find people lounging about in the lobby having tea, reading or tapping away on ipads as there is plenty of seating available. Now I don't normally hang out in hotel lobbies no matter where in the world I am, but this (for some inexplicable reason!) felt very nice, relaxing and welcoming.

Finally, I must mention the services available in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. Gloucester Road tube station is just around the corner and is so convenient for transport. You'll also see cabs waiting outside the front door at all times of the day and night. There is concentration of fast food outlets, cafes, restaurants, pharmacist, a post office, as well as two supermarkets nearby. For the traveller, this is really ideal as everything you need is within less than a five minute walking radius of the hotel.

In summary, I would recommend this hotel to those needing good quality accommodation in London at (relatively) cheaper rates. But remember, this is London, so most things are still expensive in comparison. It is ideal for holiday-makers and the business crowd. By my own standard, I always judge a hotel on one simple question: would I return? In this case, the answer is an emphatic yes!

PROS: Location. Nearby tube station. Nearby shops and services. Good quality rooms. Excellent staff.
CONS: Some room amenities lacking. Busy lifts.

If my report helped in your decision-making, then please take the time to click the "was this report helpful?" button located below. This is the only feedback I receive from you and I fully appreciate your response, dear reader.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
13 Thank ExLibris76
Dear ExLibris76

Thank you for your review. It is a real pleasure to read your comments and I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay here at the Holiday Inn London – Kensington Forum.
Your great feedback has already been share with the whole hotel team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards