“Excellent experience!”

Ranked #436 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Madrid, Spain
“Excellent experience!”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I stayed at Blakes in May. very good location. Close to cool shops and restaurants. Victoria & Albert and Natural History Museum walking distance. Very nice and helpful staff. Charming rooms with cute details (fresh flowers or Molton Brown toiletries). As it has been said everything you expected was there... Looking forward to returning soon!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
9 Thank Rosario1975
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Thank you for this sharing this glowing review. We are very lucky that our location is quiet and discreet, but walking distance from all the museums and other London highlights. Our housekeeping staff work very hard to ensure these small touches are made, and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team.
Please contact me directly on Julian@blakeshotels.com prior to your next visit and I would be delighted to welcome you with a drink waiting!

Julian Payne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Turkish first
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed at Blakes back in September. The hotel is visually stunning, yet inviting. The staff were all helpful and cheerful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. Our very, very late night roomservice request was served promptly and cheerfully. The pillows are so exceptional that I bought a set for myself.

Room Tip: If you have a room feature you desire ( a four poster bed, for us) call and ask. They are very acco...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Martin O
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
I am delighted to read this fantastic review.. We are known for our high levels of service here at Blakes, and I am so pleased to read you were able to experience this.
We are soon to finish a refurbishment of the hotel under the eye of Anouska Hempel who gave Blakes its stunning design, so please get in touch directly on Julian@blakeshotels.com for any future requests and a glass of champagne will be waiting!
Your comments have been passed on, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Simply stunning stay at Blakes on Friday - charming service, superb location and Suite 005 is certainly one not to be missed. Would return within a flash.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank CChaps
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
I cannot thankyou enough for taking the time to post this review. I am delighted you were able to experience our new suite 005, and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Please contact me directly, julian@blakeshotels.com for any further reservations, and I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to the team!

Many thanks again,

Julian payne
Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay. Everything you expected was there and it was truly lovely. However, 3 points that annoyed me about the place.

We stayed in a luxury double suite, which was in fact two single beds pushed together. Not good.

The other point was the confusing light switches. You can't turn on the lights in the bathroom without without turning on the main light by the door, the same goes for the bedside table lamps, it was a real nuisance. They need to sort this out pronto. If I want to get up to use the toilet I have to set the whole room on and then figure out which lights need turning off. So stupid!

• Stayed May 2012
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review, and I am delighted you had such a wonderful stay at the hotel.

With regards to your comments I would like address them both.

We only have two rooms, each with two single beds which zip together in the middle. Since your comment I have ordered two deluxe mattress toppers which will ensure that the bed feels like a king size bed.

I have been to the room and checked the light switches, you can turn on the bedside lights without having to get up to the main door to operate the master switches, the bathroom light can also be turned on by the bathroom door.

I will however sleep in this room as soon as possible to sort out any issues.

Please contact me directly you would like to return to the hotel and I will ensure that we look after you properly.

Best regards
cheshire
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We treat ourselves to a luxury short stay in London once or twice a year and have previously stayed at the Gore in Queensgate which we would have been happy to return to had we not decided to take advantage of a recent Mr & Mrs Smith offer which enabled us to stay 4 nights at Blakes for the price of 2. We were glad we decided to have a change because there is as a great deal to like and enjoy in this hotel. As to whether we'll return for another stay - we're not quiite sure. We're certainly not averse to spending money on things that are worth it but some of the prices charged here for incidentals and extras are eye wateringly expensive. There's no denying that the decor at Blakes is stunning and our room - not the expected most basic thanks to a complimentary upgrade on arrival - was lovely. It was huge, spotlessly clean and had the most comfortable hotel bed we've ever slept in. The flowers which were replaced during our stay were a nice touch as was the complimentary bottle of wine and fruit on arrival and the complimentary daily newspaper. Minor complaints were the carpet which seemed at odds with the rest of the luxurious decor - it had a horrible rubbery feel which was uncomfortable underfoot, and the fact that despite having numerous lights and tablelamps all of which worked the room was incredibly gloomy - there wasn't one that could be positioned and brightened to make reading easier. The bathroom was lovely too - the bath was enormous with a hugel shower head over, hot water was plentiful and the towels, changed daily were white and fluffy and came in all sizes. There was a range of Molten Brown toiletries which were replenished as and when necessary but no hand soap other than a Blakes monogramed bar that was strategically placed on the handbasin. Thanks to an on-line blog I had been forwarned that this was a chargeable extra, but there was nothing obvious on display to say that this was the case and for a little while I doubted that what I had read was true. It was only when I looked at the minibar menu that I noticed that the soap was listed there at a cost of £16.00. It could be argued that if you're staying in a hotel like Blakes then £16 for a bar of luxury soap is neither here nor there, but it seems a little disingenous to list it along with the drinks, crisps and nuts. Not everyone wants to spend that amount of money on something to wash their hands with and it would have been very easy to have used it before realising that there was an added charge. Another thing that disappointed slightly was that there was nowhere in the hotel that you could get a 'free' cup of tea/coffee or soft drink. Bearing in mind all the complimentary items that are offered, and the drinking water that was left in the room every evening it seems almost mean spirited to mention this, but having been used to the Gore where there is a machine in the lounge that guests can use at anyime plus a small range of bottled drinks it was a little extra that we missed and left us disinclined to spend an additional £10 on a couple of teas/coffees.

Continental breakfast (at £16.50 per person) was included in our tariff, but was so disappointing that in view of the high cost of other items on the menu (eg fresh grapefruit @ £5.50) we weren't tempted to choose anything else or to eat in the restaurant in the evening despite the interesting sounding menu and the good reviews. The fruit juice we were served was delicious and certainly freshly squeezed, but unfortunately the toasted bread, croissants and pastries were nothing more than bog standard supermarket fare and along with the little pots of Wilkins jam, marmalade and honey didn't seem befitting of the image the hotel portrays.

It would be remiss of me not to mention the staff - everyone of them we came into contact with was helpful and friendly and were a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank parkgateshrimp
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you so much. We appreciate our guest feedback greatly and your kind words have been passed on to the team. Firstly, of course the soap in your hand basin is complimentary for our guests, so please email me your details directly on Julian@blakeshotels.com and I would love to post you our gift set of 3 Blakes Soaps which are available for sale at £16. As designed my Anouska Hempel, every room in the hotel is different. We have some guests wanting dark and opulent rooms, while others want a light and bright bedroom. These rooms are of course available on request, so you now know for next time you come to visit us what style of room you prefer.
All of our croissants, pastries and pain aux chocolat are freshly baked daily, however I will of course speak to the kitchen about different ways we can improve on this.

We want you to relax and enjoy your time with us, we are not extortionate and have no hidden prices to fool our guests, just look at the size of soap we give away! I very much look forward to hearing from you.

London
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed at the hotel on 24/04/2012. Definitly the best hotel in London! Had a completely flawless stay! All the staff were so helpful and caring. Stayed for our anniversary and the hotel staff and the wonderful manage Julian took care of all the arrangements to perfection. We were given an upgrade to one of the top suites, which was absolutely gorgeous. Gorgeous interiors and gorgeous bathroom. Staff responded to requests within seconds! The location is fantastic and had one of the most memorable and special nights of my life. Thankyou from my partner and I to Julian and all the staff at Blakes for making our stay so wonderful! We will definitly be back soon! :) x

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Rabzzy
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write this review. Our guest feedback is very important to us, and your words of kindness have been passed on to the team who very much look forward to welcoming you back to Blakes! We are renowned for our high levels of service, and I am delighted you were able to experience our brand new Prague Suite. It was fantastic to meet you, and please get in touch directly for your next booking and I would be delighted to assist in the arrangements once again!

milton keynes
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My partner and I found this hotel online,It looked really impressive intill we got there.No parking so had to park about a 10 minute walk away and then had to move a couple of times as parking was 4hrs only.Going into the hotel through staff and builders who was smoking and never moved out of the path. The room was very small and had to call as no hot water,We then found the worst thing Semmen on the black bedding.Phoned down and they just brought us a new cover and did not even change it we had to.and no offer to move us to a clean room, We stayed and checked out first thing, This is not what i expected from a £400 a night hotel they did take £100 off but our night was ruined.Never again...........

Room Tip: go to another hotel!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank jimmypaula
I am deeply disheartened to read this terrible review.

Firstly, our porters provide a car parking service, and will top up the meters when it is due, this is due to us being in a residential road. We are currently exploring options to be able to offer a better solution.

Angelo, our reception manager immediately went to your room, when you reported that there was no hot water. The control is not elementary and he was able to get hot water and I believe that you were satisfied with this.

Our housekeepers take pride in the presentation, cleanliness and freshness of our rooms, and I can only apologise for what you thought you had found.

However, I can assure you it was not what is being suggested, and I do hope you received my personal email and will get back to me as soon as possible.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, and I hope we can give you the experience we strive to deliver.