“DO NOT STAY IN THE 2ND BUILDING!!!!”
Review of Blakes Hotel

Blakes Hotel
Ranked #419 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Lagos, Nigeria
“DO NOT STAY IN THE 2ND BUILDING!!!!”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I heard so much about Blakes and decided to stay there on my business trip to London in November 2013. Coming off an 8 hour flight, I was checked into a room at the basement of the 2nd building with room so dingy and dark and at the same time, light bulbs shining straight into my eyes and head. The noise from the neighbour's van which was right next to my window was plain horrid. Did i mention my trip to the 2nd building? it was wet and rainy and had to run in the rain with the staff who assisted with my now wet suitcase. The corridor was not clean and this was further confirmed by a door at the basement - on the way to the room, which was open and revealed a dirty area. The rugs in the room are worn out and quite harsh to the feet. I was so upset and sad. I immediately went to shower and went out to my meeting… oh, shower head was not properly screwed and had the water splashing in different directions leaving me with a wet floor. once done anyway, i headed out to my meeting. I returned late at night and assumed the whole place should be clean by then but believe me, the dirty area was still the same.No turn down service in the rooms so i went back to the same harsh and freezing room which didnt provide any sort of warmth as the windows were not properly sealed. That night i picked up my suitcase and left as i could not bring myself to sleep there. Need i mention i will not be returning to Blakes?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank Bee B
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Madam,

We are extremely sorry to hear about your unpleasant stay at Blakes. I only wish that you would have told us that you were not happy immediately so that we could take the appropriate actions straight away. I have read all your comments carefully and can assure you that all maintenance issues have been handed over. We do provide turn down service every evening so we are extremely upset to hear what has happened. I have raised the issues with the Housekeeping team to make sure any of the above does not happen again.

The room that you stayed in is in our Cobblestone Mews house which is a typical 18th century house , we have many guests who requests these rooms - as they are quiet and intimate. However we understand design is very personal and we are sorry to hear that it was not to your liking. Please note, every room is individually designed and we would have been pleased to allocate another room more to your liking. I am sure that there are some rooms which you would fall in love with, we would love for you to give us the chance to change your mind.

If you do change your mind in coming back to Blakes in future, please contact me directly so that I will be able to assist and do my utmost to ensure you are pleased with the hotel.

Meir Abutbul
Director of Blakes Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Booked afternoon tea on a Saturday for two in the Chinese room downstairs. Hearing that the hotel was owned by an interior designer, we were very surprised when we arrived as the furniture was uncomfortable and the lighting very bright, wherever you sat it seemed to be shining straight at you. As for the tea itself, the sandwiches were lovely, however this was the where the positives ended. After the sandwiches we each got two small scones with jam and 'clotted cream' which actually seemed to be canned spray cream, certainly not clotted cream. The last part of the tea was also quite strange, we were given a cake which was advertised as orange but I couldn’t distinguish the taste, rice pudding & a small panna cotta (traditional afternoon tea cakes?)
I get the feeling that this hotel used to be wonderful but now it is resting on its reputation alone, I would not recommend it for afternoon tea, the rooms however look lovely.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katherine G
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2014
Good Afternoon ,
Thank you for your reveiw and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea with us back in October. I wished that you had told us sooner and then I could investigate better what went wrong.
Anyway I am glad to tell you that we have upgraded the cakes and currently offer orange, chocolate and a green tea tiramisu which are all baked freshly in house.
The whipped cream ( which was hand whipped has now been replaced with dorset clotted cream).
Blakes has always been dark and mysterious so I am dismayed to read about the lights shining at you. Lights should always be dimmed.
Please do return, please let me know in advance and I will ensure that we win you around.
Eu, France
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I was expecting more and I was a little bit disappointed. The Directors Double that I reserved was disappointing. It was overrated. The pictures on the web are showing a red glamorous room. The reality is grey, old, under the roof. The bar in the basement, waiting for the room to be ready needs refurbish. The restaurant looks like you are hiding in a Chinese basement in Hong Kong. You can even see a door to some back kitchen or facilities that is permanently open. The neighbourhood is nice, easy access just walking to shops and restaurants. Turn left out of the hotel and then right to Old Brompton Road. Luckily that the personel is nice and professional. Saves the general impression.

Room Tip: Nothing less than a Director’s Double. But be careful to get what you see in the pictures on the net...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Valentin M
Good Afternoon Valentin,
I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations. I promise to give you the Red Room next time or even better. Every room is different and we have to ensure that every guest is comfortable in the Hotel whichever room they stay in.
The whole style of the Hotel is Asian Colonial, so the likeness to the Hong Kong restaurant I can understand, however a nice Hong Kong restaurant I hope!
Happy to hear that the staff looked after you, as we are here to serve you.
Please let me know when you would like to return and I will ensure that we roll out the red carpet for you
Best regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here for a joint celebration for my birthday and our 1st anniversary and every member of staff that we met was helpful and friendly - they're a genuine asset and do make the stay very pleasurable. The hotel has a quirky boutique feel and the location is fabulous - couldn't be better. There are only a couple of downsides: the decor is getting worn and tired (wallpaper was starting to peel in our room (102) and the carpet on the stairs is getting threadbare, which does detract from the luxurious quality that one expects of Blakes. Also, the luxury double rooms are on the small side (and ours was very dark), which was fine for one night, but a longer stay would have been a logistical challenge and the second aspect is a particular issue needs resolving - the lighting can best be described as "quirky" we ended up stumbling around in the night in the dark as we wouldn't get the lights to work. The next morning we managed to sort this out after a degree of trial and error, but my shins will still be bruised for a while as a reminder of our stay! This was an inconvenience and didn't spoil our stay, but nonetheless it was a frustration at the time. As an aside, I was also surprised that there was no acknowledgement that we were celebrating my birthday and our anniversary. Of course preferential treatment isn't expected and I didn't think of it at the time, but when I opened tripadvisor to write this review I noticed that many people have commented on upgrades etc for their celebrations, so I now feel a little neglected! This is by no means an issue though and we would of course stay here again. We were particularly impressed by the quality of the food served on the room service menu and the speed at which it was delivered. A small detail, but notable by its absence in most hotels!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KirstyandTom
Good afternoon Kirsty And Tom,
Firstly Wishing you Kirsty a Very Happy Belated Birthday!!! and Very Happy Wedding Anniversary!
I am sorry that we did not upgrade you, this is subject to availability but we should have wished you Happy Birthday and Anniversary anyway.
I also wrote you a personalised card in the room to go with our chocolate truffles, I will make sure that I follow up from this side, I am sorry
Please come back soon and I promise to Upgrade you and look after you.
Many thanks
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My partner and I stayed for 2 nights midweek during Christmas party season for a treat! We stayed in room 7 and it was absolutely beautiful - full of character and really nicely done. The room itself had a balcony, beautiful wooden floors, a lovely warm bathroom and a small walk in wardrobe.

Room Service:
The staff were great, very polite and helpful however they had run out of ingredients for one of the dishes we wanted from the all day/night menu for room service on our first night which was a shame.
In the morning we recieved calls 2 or 3 times 15 mins before our breakfast was due to tell us firstly that they'd run out of ingredients for one of the breakfasts so we had to re-order and that we had to choose which ingredients we wanted with our 'changa eggs'.
On arrival, the breakfast was missing our pastries, the coffees were not the ones we had ordered and the changa eggs were missing the items we'd been asked to order (pancetta, gorgonzola). On ordering changa eggs again for the next day to our room, it was totally different again - the changa eggs were laid out completely differently and instead of pancetta we'd been given bacon.
The breakfasts were absoutely gorgeous however - it is just a shame that they weren't as ordered.

Bedroom:
It was cold - there was a breeze coming from all 3 windows/balcony doors and the shutters couldn't be shut, they didn't seem to fit around the handles on the windows therefore a lot of cold air entered the room.
The aircon/heating seemed to only work when it wanted to - there was no remote control so in the night when it finally kicked in to warm us up - we would have to get out of bed to turn it off. We ordered a lot of room service and spent a lot of time quite chilly in the room because the aircon wouldn't come on despite it being lit up as 'on'.
The TV was in a large wardrobe which was lovely but the wardrobe door was so large we had to move a table out of the way in order to actually open the wardrobe fully. The door would then swing back shut so we had to secure it in place with the curtains from the balcony doors! The TV itself was a pain to use - it seemed to respond extremely slowly to commands from the remote control and then we struggled to even turn it off! Ridiculous! We tried to watch SKY News one night and opened up the TV guide on the menu - it wouldn't let us select SKY News so we manually entered the channel number which then froze the tv so it was rendered useless - it wouldn't even let us turn it off so we had to unplug it! This meant that on our last morning the tv was not connected to the SKY box anymore and needed resetting so we couldn't watch the tv whilst getting ready for work which was a shame.

Bathroom:
Gorgeous - lovely bath and shower and Molten Brown accessories - hairdryer was great and powerful. There wasn't anywhere to hang the towels though which was a shame so we had to just leave them on the side inbetween use. The toilet was quite high up to sit on but it was quirky.

At the time we didn't call reception to discuss the above issues as we didn't want to be disturbed more than was necessary. In hindsight we should have done but a lot of these issues were discovered very late at night just as we were about to go to bed and we didn't want to wait around for someone to sort the issues out whilst we were wandering around in dressing gowns.
If in fact the above issues were easily rectifiable within the room then perhaps some guidance on how to work the tv / aircon / shutters could be included in the room for future guests - for two quite competent indiviudals we found these issues quite a hassle and the features in the room should not have been so difficult to use.

Despite all this we did have a lovely time. We shouldn't have had to call and ask for things to be fixed/explained so it was frustrating that it wasn't an entirely smooth stay.
We did have a good time however because the room was so gorgeous and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ljc1205
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Thank you for your review. I am of course delighted that you loved your stay with us, appreciated room 107 and that felt spoilt by the staff.

I have a long list of service issues which need to be adressed and thank you for raising them to my attention. I will also start to compile a service directory on how to operate the airconditioning, blinds and televisions.

In my book we must never run out of anything in a Hotel and consistency is the Name of The Game.

Please do contact me when you would like to return and I will ensure that everything is in order.
Best regards and Thank you,
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

A gorgeous old hotel, very well placed. Our room wasn't ready so we had to wait 10 minutes in the lounge with complimentary champagne (be happy to do that every time!) Attentive staff but not too intrusive. Clean, sexy suite with plenty of character. An old fashioned style but with a few high tech touches. Overall, a very good hotel.

Room Tip: The suites are amazing
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 3Nikko
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Good Afternoon,
Thank you very much for your positive review and we enjoyed looking after you!
We look forward to your return stay and wish a very Merry Christmas.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 December 2013

After dining there years ago, I'd always meant to stay at this hotel when visiting London. I finally had the opportunity. You can tell that they put a lot of effort into the design of this hotel, but they have not maintained the property. The lounge area is faded like a has-been nightclub and the bedroom, which was likely once glamorous, was showing its wear and tear (cracks & mould spots in the bathroom). The afternoon tea was forgettable. For the price, I was not impressed. However, the service was very good and welcome -- making the stay very cosy and the flaws not so irritating.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zanotti-A-broad
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and I am shocked to read about the state of the bathroom.
Please do contact me directly on julian@blakeshotels.com so that I can find out which room needs urgent care.
I am glad that our service was able to turn things around. However in a Hotel one needs Hardware and Software to be top notch.