Blakes Hotel
US$308
US$285
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewscardinal suitesignature suitesouth kensingtonwedding nightrestaurant downstairsquiet neighborhoodthe general managerafternoon teasingle roomenglish breakfastsmall roomluxurychelseamirrorwallpapertube
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Had few friends coming to London for Fashion Week and we all decided to stay at the Blakes I've being there few times for drinks and dinner but never stayed there and I really liked. Discreet, chic, intimate, superb service and staff in a perfect location with great restaurant so you can't get any better maybe similar but not better!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Morumbi
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive review, we are thrilled to hear Blakes exceeded your expectations as well as delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Have you heard about our Taste of Spain evenings held in our restaurant? We would highly recommend you joining! You can enjoy tapas, wine pairing and live Spanish guitarist. We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Kind Regards,

Meir Abutbul
Director of Blakes Hotel

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I heard so much about Blakes and decided to stay there on my business trip to London in November 2013. Coming off an 8 hour flight, I was checked into a room at the basement of the 2nd building with room so dingy and dark and at the same time, light bulbs shining straight into my eyes and head. The noise from the neighbour's van which was right next to my window was plain horrid. Did i mention my trip to the 2nd building? it was wet and rainy and had to run in the rain with the staff who assisted with my now wet suitcase. The corridor was not clean and this was further confirmed by a door at the basement - on the way to the room, which was open and revealed a dirty area. The rugs in the room are worn out and quite harsh to the feet. I was so upset and sad. I immediately went to shower and went out to my meeting… oh, shower head was not properly screwed and had the water splashing in different directions leaving me with a wet floor. once done anyway, i headed out to my meeting. I returned late at night and assumed the whole place should be clean by then but believe me, the dirty area was still the same.No turn down service in the rooms so i went back to the same harsh and freezing room which didnt provide any sort of warmth as the windows were not properly sealed. That night i picked up my suitcase and left as i could not bring myself to sleep there. Need i mention i will not be returning to Blakes?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
10  Thank Bee B

Dear Madam,

We are extremely sorry to hear about your unpleasant stay at Blakes. I only wish that you would have told us that you were not happy immediately so that we could take the appropriate actions straight away. I have read all your comments carefully and can assure you that all maintenance issues have been handed over. We do provide turn down service every evening so we are extremely upset to hear what has happened. I have raised the issues with the Housekeeping team to make sure any of the above does not happen again.

The room that you stayed in is in our Cobblestone Mews house which is a typical 18th century house , we have many guests who requests these rooms - as they are quiet and intimate. However we understand design is very personal and we are sorry to hear that it was not to your liking. Please note, every room is individually designed and we would have been pleased to allocate another room more to your liking. I am sure that there are some rooms which you would fall in love with, we would love for you to give us the chance to change your mind.

If you do change your mind in coming back to Blakes in future, please contact me directly so that I will be able to assist and do my utmost to ensure you are pleased with the hotel.

Meir Abutbul
Director of Blakes Hotel

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Booked afternoon tea on a Saturday for two in the Chinese room downstairs. Hearing that the hotel was owned by an interior designer, we were very surprised when we arrived as the furniture was uncomfortable and the lighting very bright, wherever you sat it seemed to be shining straight at you. As for the tea itself, the sandwiches were lovely, however this was the where the positives ended. After the sandwiches we each got two small scones with jam and 'clotted cream' which actually seemed to be canned spray cream, certainly not clotted cream. The last part of the tea was also quite strange, we were given a cake which was advertised as orange but I couldn’t distinguish the taste, rice pudding & a small panna cotta (traditional afternoon tea cakes?)
I get the feeling that this hotel used to be wonderful but now it is resting on its reputation alone, I would not recommend it for afternoon tea, the rooms however look lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katherine G
BlakesHotel, General Manager at Blakes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Good Afternoon ,
Thank you for your reveiw and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea with us back in October. I wished that you had told us sooner and then I could investigate better what went wrong.
Anyway I am glad to tell you that we have upgraded the cakes and currently offer orange, chocolate and a green tea tiramisu which are all baked freshly in house.
The whipped cream ( which was hand whipped has now been replaced with dorset clotted cream).
Blakes has always been dark and mysterious so I am dismayed to read about the lights shining at you. Lights should always be dimmed.
Please do return, please let me know in advance and I will ensure that we win you around.
Best regards,

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I was expecting more and I was a little bit disappointed. The Directors Double that I reserved was disappointing. It was overrated. The pictures on the web are showing a red glamorous room. The reality is grey, old, under the roof. The bar in the basement, waiting for the room to be ready needs refurbish. The restaurant looks like you are hiding in a Chinese basement in Hong Kong. You can even see a door to some back kitchen or facilities that is permanently open. The neighbourhood is nice, easy access just walking to shops and restaurants. Turn left out of the hotel and then right to Old Brompton Road. Luckily that the personel is nice and professional. Saves the general impression.

Room Tip: Nothing less than a Director’s Double. But be careful to get what you see in the pictures on the net.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Valentin M

Good Afternoon Valentin,
I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations. I promise to give you the Red Room next time or even better. Every room is different and we have to ensure that every guest is comfortable in the Hotel whichever room they stay in.
The whole style of the Hotel is Asian Colonial, so the likeness to the Hong Kong restaurant I can understand, however a nice Hong Kong restaurant I hope!
Happy to hear that the staff looked after you, as we are here to serve you.
Please let me know when you would like to return and I will ensure that we roll out the red carpet for you
Best regards

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here for a joint celebration for my birthday and our 1st anniversary and every member of staff that we met was helpful and friendly - they're a genuine asset and do make the stay very pleasurable. The hotel has a quirky boutique feel and the location is fabulous - couldn't be better. There are only a couple of downsides: the decor is getting worn and tired (wallpaper was starting to peel in our room (102) and the carpet on the stairs is getting threadbare, which does detract from the luxurious quality that one expects of Blakes. Also, the luxury double rooms are on the small side (and ours was very dark), which was fine for one night, but a longer stay would have been a logistical challenge and the second aspect is a particular issue needs resolving - the lighting can best be described as "quirky" we ended up stumbling around in the night in the dark as we wouldn't get the lights to work. The next morning we managed to sort this out after a degree of trial and error, but my shins will still be bruised for a while as a reminder of our stay! This was an inconvenience and didn't spoil our stay, but nonetheless it was a frustration at the time. As an aside, I was also surprised that there was no acknowledgement that we were celebrating my birthday and our anniversary. Of course preferential treatment isn't expected and I didn't think of it at the time, but when I opened tripadvisor to write this review I noticed that many people have commented on upgrades etc for their celebrations, so I now feel a little neglected! This is by no means an issue though and we would of course stay here again. We were particularly impressed by the quality of the food served on the room service menu and the speed at which it was delivered. A small detail, but notable by its absence in most hotels!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KirstyandTom

Good afternoon Kirsty And Tom,
Firstly Wishing you Kirsty a Very Happy Belated Birthday!!! and Very Happy Wedding Anniversary!
I am sorry that we did not upgrade you, this is subject to availability but we should have wished you Happy Birthday and Anniversary anyway.
I also wrote you a personalised card in the room to go with our chocolate truffles, I will make sure that I follow up from this side, I am sorry
Please come back soon and I promise to Upgrade you and look after you.
Many thanks