“A little bit cramped.”

Ranked #448 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Umea, Sweden
“A little bit cramped.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Hotel was situated some what a distance from city centre in a calm area of London. Friendly staff. Dimly lit hotel – also the rooms, created a nice mood but also became inconvenient. The lobby area was quite compact with a rather small elevator. Nice breakfast with tasty scrambled eggs.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Hannes O,

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. I am pleased you were satisfied with the service and breakfast.

We are quite a unique property in terms of design, service and general offering. Blakes hotel offers a unique experience which uses design and atmosphere to create an incomparable experience. In reference to the lighting of the hotel, the light is purposely dimmed to bring that extra romance and a special ambience. In case that this does not suit you, many rooms have light features with dimmers, which you can use to increase the brightness of the light to your liking. Each room is individually designed, if you prefer to stay in a bright, well lit room with light furnishings, kindly add this to your reservation request for future and we will certainly do our utmost to accommodate your request. Our priority is for you to enjoy your stay.

Thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

My wife and I spent a night at Blakes in early July and were blown away by the location and service. The staff went above and beyond our expectations, not only arranging for our luggage to be shipped Internationally, but also ensuring that an item we had left behind was immediately forwarded. Zak, the Resident Manager, is phenomenal. The hotel is nestled in a hip neighborhood and is overall a really special place to stay. Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear MVonderheide,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us at Blakes. I was delighted to hear we have exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased that you were well looked after during your stay and after. We all look forward to welcoming you back to Blakes soon!

Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Blakes has lots to recommend it-in particular, the service and location. It can be very pricey if you call direct to the hotel to book, so next time I would use one of the booking sites. It is uniquely located in a series of townhouses combined for a beautiful boutique feel. Very quiet neighborhood, with many shops and restaurants in close walking distance. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Corner room had great light and good ventilation when the windows were opened. Upstairs rooms could...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Advisor72201,

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that we were able to exceed your expectations by providing excellent service during your stay. I would like to assure you that our rates are the same whether you book online or directly with us, we are contracted to offer rate parity across all booking engines. What may have happened is the online engine could have advertised the rates without the VAT. Please be confident that the final rate will work out the same or more competitive when booking on our website directly due to special promotions. Generally speaking, rates fluctuate based on London events and availability. In order to get the best price and deals we encourage you to book early as we offer special promotions such as our 20% Early Birds rate when booked in advance.

I would like to thank you for your review again and look forward to welcoming you to Blakes soon.

Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I recently stayed at Blakes for 3 nights . I was really impressed with the kind and friendly service I received from the reception team. The room was spacious and equipped with all the modern high tech gadgets one could wish for.WIFI was complimentary which was a greatly appreciated perk. I loved the decor of the hotel, really unique. I will definitely be returning to Blakes on my next visit to London.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Nam0804,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us at Blakes. I am pleased to hear we were able to exceed your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back to Blakes soon.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Best 48 hours ever....I have very fond memories of the Blakes Hotel, which was one of the highlights of my recent trip to London. This elegant hotel has a certain something, rare to find in hotels. Gorgeously furnished with excellent service, Blakes Hotel is a decadent escape from the real world. Will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Northtraveller-DK,

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear we have exceeded your expectations. We pride ourselves on our individuality and personalized service and do our utmost to make our guests’ stays memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed at Blakes one night during a business stay in May. It is a lovely hotel in beautiful Kensington, only my room was quite small. All in all I had a good stay, service is excellent and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Anna O
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Anna O,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us at Blakes. I am pleased that your expectations were met and you received an excellent customer service from our staff. It is our aim to ensure all of our guests’ requests are fulfilled.

We have many different room categories varying in sizes, starting from Parisian Singles to our beautifully designed Top Suites. The Parisian Single you stayed in is our entry level room category and therefore is the smallest, 18-22sqm, ideal for a single occupancy for a short trip. I would recommend the next category, which is the Luxury Double for your next stay. These rooms are more spacious, approximately between 22-25sqm.

I hope you will return to Blakes soon and perhaps give a different room category a try, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Location is great, but as I live up the road not worth it for me. Stayed here as I was getting married but honestly the room was dirty, smelt awful like old musty ash trays and no loo roll! I wouldn't stay again which is a shame as concept good but the attention to detail very much lacking

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Helen G
BlakesHotel, Owner at Blakes Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Helen H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Blakes. I am disappointed to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations.

We are also very upset to hear that the freshness of your room was compromised, please note we have housekeeping procedures in place to ensure the rooms are fully cleaned, inspected and smell fresh with Blakes signature grapefruit scent. I can assure you that this issue will be resolved with housekeeping. What you have experienced should not have happened in the first place. I can only send my sincere apologies and can assure you that a full investigation will be done. Each room is individually designed and we truly wish we had known prior to your arrival that you were celebrating your wedding night. The reason behind this is, we have very romantic rooms which could have been more suitable. The team always tries to offer a personalised surprise/service to create a memorable stay.

We take your comments very seriously, therefore I would like to thank you for your remarks.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would be willing to give us another try, I will ensure that you are taken care of.