Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$336
US$278
Pullman
US$307
US$263
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$215
The Belgrave(London)(Great Value!)
US$198
US$158
  • Bar/Lounge
London House Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$116
galahotels.com
US$551
US$533
7,066 results
All reviewshigh streetclub roommuffin mantube stationalbert hallbusy hotelcircle linelarge hotelbit datedexcellent locationhyde parktea and coffeefew minutes walkfull englishkensingtondoormanharrods
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I chose the Tara on 3 criteria.
1. Price
2. Location
3. Trip Advior reviews

Lodging in London can be obscenely priced and even a mediocre hotel can cost an arm and a leg. The Tara's price looked suspiciously too good so I read a lot of reviews on Trip Advisor and was convinced that it was a good hotel.

The staff was very helpul and friendly. It is true that the room furntiture has a few nicks but we don't stay in the room very long so as long as long as it isn't in bad shape who really cares. The bed was comfy and we loved the pillows. The bathroom was good, the toiletries the hotel provides are excellent and the shower pressure was fine.

The location is absolutely brilliant. It is just a few steps to the subway and High Street Kensington. So easy to get around from this location and High Street Kensington is a great place to walk and shop.

If you have a bit of a budget the Tara is an excellent choice. If you are really bothered by the furniture having a few dents and scratches then you should look elsewhere and, by the way, be prepraed to pay 3X the money. I would stay at the Tara again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Great for a vacation hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Tim-N-Sue
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have just returned from a one night stay at the Copthorne Tara and was thoroughly disappointed. I am also shocked at the majority of good reviews here on trip advisor which I find really misleading and quite the opposite to what I experienced last night.
The rooms are, as is stated in a number of reviaws here, both dated and extremely basic although this is something I could have overlooked. The noise of the trains, however, is not - even being on the 6th floor I was shocked at just quite how noisy the trains passing where - it gives a really loud clattering noise that sounds like it is right next to you.

The lighting system in the room is weird, but not only that, none of the light switch facilities by the bed were working, resulting in me having to turn the light off by the door and make my way to the bed in the dark.

If the clattering of the trains wasn't bad enough the fridge/minibar (empty) was emitting a humming/high pitched squeaking noise which seemed to get progressively worse, resulting in me crawling around behind it (not completely clean either!) trying to unplug it only to find out that it is unable to be unplugged and wired into the wall.

The temperature of the room was another huge issue for me - I can never get the temperature quite right in a hotel room but the heating unit (again, very basic) had simply 3 settings on it, 1, 2 & 3 - so left it on 2 as suggested and was roasting during the night.

The bathroom in itself did the job but nothing more - the toilet was old and flushed extremely slowly, filling up with water before it did. The shower was powerful for a hotel which was good at least.

Overall have had great experiences in other Milllennium & Copthorne hotels before. Next time I am in this area of London I will stay in the Millennium Bailey's which is fabulous.

Room Tip: As high up as possible would assist to avoid the sound of the trains.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LJ29
Reviewed 11 May 2012

The Copthorne Tara is long overdue for a makeover. I stayed in Room #1005, which, at check in, I was told was an “upgraded Club Room”. The room size was fine and the bath was a standard size and clean, however, the furniture was extremely dated and scratched and was just old and tired looking. Also there were tears in the wallpaper near the bed. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows smelled somewhat musty, so I used ones that smelled okay.

My room had a view of St. Paul’s Cathedral and the London Eye and was quite pretty to look at especially at night.

The hotel is directly off Kensington High Street and around the corner from the Underground Tube station and the bus stop. The hotel is also approximately ½ mile from the Royal Albert Hall and Kensington Gardens.

There are internet stations in the Express Cafe for $5 pounds per hour.

I once stayed here several years ago and thought that things would at least be the same. I’m sad to report that it’s not, so for the price I paid, the next time, I plan to try another hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MsCleo2313
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Our head office is a 5 x mins walk from the Tara so this and the Kensington Close are well within walking distance. Having had a terrible experience at the (being refurbished) Close, last few times times I have stayed here I have always left telling myself that the location and proximity to office outweigh the negatives, those being

1) Some rooms back on to train station - noisy room, despite (non opening) windows

2) Most rooms I have stayed in have empty fridge/minibar (which unless you want to risk electricution) you cannot unplug (but can turn to '0')

3) Bathrooms - tatty, sealant either peeling or missing - some odd 'stains' on walls

4) Last time I stayed (May) room very hot - air con did work, but (noisy) and didnt really help

5) I have had issues with lights faulty/missing, plug sockets coming away from wall and general sadness of the room

Plus points include decent Samsung LCD tv, breakfast isnt bad (though opened 20 mins late when I was there last due to a computer issue??)

Bed was conmfortable, bedding clean

One time I was (without paying extra) upgraded to a top floor 'club room' this was much better - sadly I havent had an upgrade since!

Myself/company are now generally starting to use the Holiday Inn Kensigton which although is an extra 10-15 mins walk - is a significantly better experience!

Room Tip: High floor (club rooms) are significantly better
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank jondw
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I stayed with my eleven year old daughter in this beautiful hotel for 4 days. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were big and clean and the bathroom was great. Although it's located on a quiet location, it's close to the High Kensington street underground station. We enjoyed our stay a lot and would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
5  Thank Judie d