“Will not be returning”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #471 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded from a superior room to a Club room and as I used to stay at this hotel in the 80's, I was well impressed!
Got to the room to find that it still looked 1980's and nothing had changed but for thirty years wear and tear.
I comlpained that there was mould and yeuk all around the single glazed aluminium window.
Paint scuffed off and furniture with venners peeling and in some places, chipboard showing through!
We were moved to another Club room which was slightly better by a Duty Manager who was very apologetic and later sent a compimentary bowl of fruit. The room was slightly better with double glazing that had a big gap at the top of the original outside aluminium glazing and a lot of dirt and muck had penetrated.
Most of the fruit was going rotten and when we pointed this out to another Duty Manager he offered us a free drink! As we do not drink alcohol he simply shrugged his shoulders and gave up on us.
Garbage management. We will not be going back to the Tara ever again.

Room Tip: Don;t go in the first place!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Stansyerman, PA to Cluster General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your feedback following your recent stay. I apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay with the incidents you mention. I am pleased to see once reported our Duty Manager took immediate action to assist and ensure your comforts as best he could at the time, but you were disappointed with the outcome.

Your feedback is valuable and taken seriously as it assists our Our Management Team to review for future improvements of our services and facilities we provide as we continue with our in-house redecoration project that is currently ongoing and we apologise if this project caused inconveniences during your stay. I am sure you can understand the dilemma we have due to the high demand for rooms the project does slow down. We do try to ensure all the rooms are well maintained, clean and comfortable with every intention to please all our guests as best we can whilst we continue with this project.

I hope you will reconsider to stay with us again in the near future to give us the opportunity to share with you the progress we are making and to assure you our best attention to your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you when you next travel to London.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We booked the hotel for a new year getaway and arrived on the 31st December. We had had to book through 2 separate deals as two nights were not available through one source. We arrived at the hotel to be met in the car park by the most amazing member of staff, this level of service then continued at check in (apart from not offering an upgrade that came with the deal and waiting over 25 minutes) we didn't mind however as the member of staff was really nice and welcoming. As you do, I gave my debit card for any additional items we may need/want. One of the deals stated a free upgrade to 'Club' subject to availability. I was not offered this! As I had booked this stay for my family following a tough 2013, I didn't feel it appropriate to challenge this at the time and cause any issues in front of other customers or family. The couple next to me however, were offered (for their full stay of a week) an upgrade to Club at a reduced price of £50 per night rather than £80. No wonder they didn't wish to offer it to guests who had booked deals when the hotel can make more money! I understand this, it is business but don't offer what you are unable to honor. Anyhow, we stayed for the two nights, had a lovely time and had great service in the hotel. Once we arrived home, I noted a few days after that the money taken from my account (40.00, not a lot) had not yet returned to my account. I then emailed 'customer services' to politely ask what the issue was. Within the email, I displayed my disappointment of having to chase up a process that was obviously part of their daily routine and also mentioned the lack of 'upgrade' and this was met with a half hearted reply of 'they are subject to availability'. I had stated, the couple next to me were offered it...this seemed to be ignored! I asked when the deposit money would be returned to me (this was on the 15th Jan in my 3rd email) I was told by the end of the week....22nd today and still no return of my money. I had contemplated staying at the hotel again after the actual service in the hotel was good this however, has led me to a different decision. I have sent numerous emails since this and had no reply. Really sad to see most of the people in the hotel work hard yet aftercare is so poor!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicki B
Shahida S, PA to Cluster General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed feedback and for all the positive information you recommended to all TripAdvisor readers. Our Hotel Team have received your compliments with much appreciation.

I am sorry to read about the shortfall you encountered with our after services which seems to have put a damper on your amazing experience at the hotel. Thank you for making us aware of such a situation and wish to assure you this is not the norm. Our Management Team will investigate this incident and will take appropriate action as necessary so such incidents are not repeated in future.

I wish to welcome you back to Copthorne Tara Hotel to give us the opportunity to restore your confidence in our services and to assure you of our best attention to your needs.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed here with my 9 year old daughter for 2 nights beginning of January. The main plus points were the location, just at the end of Kensington High St, perfect for the Natural History Museum, Hyde Park etc, all within walking distance. The other was the staff/service. All staff from reception to bar, were helpful and smiling, even the lady in the hotel shop, all lovely. We ate in the bar restaurant, again, excellent service and staff, child friendly with very good value children's meals (the pizza was huge!). The room was fine except for the fact it was roasting! Despite turning the radiator down as low as possible and the fan up, it was still far too hot which meant a good nights sleep was not possible - this is the only reason I graded 4 not 5.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review following your recent 2 night stay with your 9 year old daughter. I am pleased to see your were happy with the location of the hotel suitable to your needs to be able to take your daughter out to all the interesting places around the hotel and London area, also our excellent customer services, quality facilities in the hotel was enjoyed by both to your satisfaction. I apologise for the faulty air con as you mention and it is a pity you did not report this to our Duty Manager to take immediate action to ensure your comforts during your stay. Our Management Team have noted the ait con sitautation and will address and take action to ensure the air cons are maintained and checked regularly prior to guest arrival so as not to inconvenience our guests in future.

However I am pleased that despite this you and your daughter still had a good time and left the hotel feeling good on a memorable stay.

I am sure we can expect you back in the near future and wish to extend a warm welcome to you and your family when you next visit London.

Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights based on our experience of a previous stay 5 years ago. However, things have really gone downhill.

The beds are the worst feature of this hotel. Our first room had a flimsy mattress wider than the supporting divan/spring-box below. We were given another room where the mattress was so soft that it left me with an awful backache.

The staff here are pleasant and the location of the hotel is good but if you are looking for a decent bed and a good night's sleep, I would definitely try elsewhere.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simon James S

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your 3 night stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. I am disappointed your experience was not as expected since your last stay 5 years ago. You will be happy to know we are currently working on in-house redecorations and part of this project is replacing the beds in all the rooms. Due to the demand for rooms this does slow down the project. I apologise for the inconvenience caused with delays to the project and I can assure we do ensure the rooms are well maintained, clean and comfortable as best we can for our guests to have an enjoyable stay.

Our Management Team are apologetic and thank you for your valuable feedback as this assists us to maintain our high standard of services and facilities and will review for future improvements whilst we continue with this ongoing project.

We endeavour to provide excellent services and high quality facilities with every intention of pleasing all our guests. I hope you will reconsider to visit us again so we can take the opportunity to show you the progress of our project and also the assure you of our best attention to accommodate your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit London.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Got a very good price to stay here on Saturday, 18th Jsn. Location is good, few mins walk from the tube. Next to Kensington High Street, with lots of shops and places to hear and drink.

On arrival, I asked to pay for an upgrade, and was offered an executive room giving access to the club lounge, breakfast and free wifi. The price was good, so did so. I was offered either a quiet room or a room with a view. Both are important to me and as I decided, the lady on reception said, I'll give you a room on the 11th floor, it faces the railway, but you won't hear anything up there. This was true.

Like other reviewers say, the rooms a little out of date, but comfortable and very clean. Air con worked well. The corridors on the 10th to the 12th floors are lovely, being club rooms.

Between 6:30 and 8:00pm the club room had a free bar, which zi very much enjoyed and the lovely,polite gentleman in the room kept the drinks flowing without being asked. The club room was quiet and a lovely place to hang out.

Reception staff and door staff were also friendly and engaging. I bumped into the lady that checked me in, later that evening in the foyer, and she went out if her way to approach me and asked me how the room was, was it to my satisfaction, and was there anymore she could for me. Really appreciated that she remembered me and seemed genuinely interested in making my stay as good as could be.

There are lots of hotels in London to choose from, and lots whose rooms are more up to date than the Tara, however you will much more for them. Whilst ever the rooms on offer at this hotel are around the £60 to £75 point for a weekend, then this is very good value.

One final comment, during the afternoon, a large group of guys were protesting or making a scene outside of the hotel. Police were managing the situation and the hotel staff discretely maneuvered guests around the disturbance. These people were earlier in the lobby of the hotel and were being very loud and sort of took over the lounge area. I thought they were just excitable tourists. Not sure what went on, but it was handled well by the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with all TripAdvisor readers with your detailed positive report on your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. I am very happy to see our excellent services and high quality standard of facilities you experienced in the hotel were all to your expectation to have and satisfactory memorable stay, and all good value for money.

I have shared your compliments with the Hotel Team which was well received with much appreciation and all are very proud that what we strive for daily is evident in this case and well worth all the effort to ensure your comforts for the duration of your stay.

I trust from this enjoyable experience you will return to stay with us when next visiting London and wish to take the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here from the 14th till the 18th of January. Have been regulars at this hotel for a very very long time. The rooms are old but in fairly good condition, cleaners do their job well, and there was a weird knocking sound that usually happens past 12am. Of note, I was able to smell some sort of tobacco-ish aroma in the corridor. It's a non-smoking hotel but I have a feeling that some guests were disobeying the rules by lighting up in the bathroom.

One of your trainees, a South Korean girl, messed up our arrangements for getting a late check- out for the 19th of January. We clearly told her that we wanted to check out from thr hotel at 6pm, and she duly responded and reset one of our room cards so that we can still use it until 6pm the next day. She also informed us that we can pay the late check-out fees once we are ready to check-out of the hotel. However, when that day came, our cards could not be used to open the room door after 1pm. And after having a word with one of the staff at the counter and getting our cards re-set again, we found out that the trainee never informed any of the staff or hotel management that we had requested for late check-out, hence our request was apparently not even in the system. The correct thing to do is for that trainee to ask help from senior staff if she is unsure of things. First time we have experienced this. But we will still stay in this hotel when we drop by London again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank your for sending in your review and for making us aware of your experiences following your recent stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel. I apologise for the lapse in our staff services in terms of your check-out arrangements and I have referred this matter to our Front Office Manager. He is most apologetic and assures that this will be addressed and staff retraining will be conducted to ensure such incidents are not repeated in future. However I am pleased to note despite this incident as a regular guest to the hotel this is the first time you encountered such an experience. All your previous stays we have maintained consistency of high quality standard of services to your satisfaction.

Thank you for your recommendation to all TripAdvisor readers you will stay here again when next visiting London, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you for your continued support and best wishes.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I was a little bit leery of staying here, but this is a nice, clean hotel in South Kensington. It's not shabby or run down. I would not reserve my room on their website and pay the higher price though. Had I paid more I would probably have had higher expections, but I think it was well-worth the Priceline rate. I reserved a room with Priceline's name your own price knowing that the Copthorne Tara was likely to be the hotel I would get. It was an awesome location as far as I'm concerned. The tube is close and there were plenty of shops and restaurants including a Prezzo nearby. Our view overlooked the rail, but who needs a great view from the room? You're in London---get out and explore.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to Cluster General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your review and glad to see that you had good time and all was to your expectation. Thank you for the positive information on the hotel for future TripAdvisor travellers to London and with this in mind I am sure you will be returning to stay with us again in the near future.

We look forward to welcoming you.