“Not recommended”

Ranked #466 of 1,063 Hotels in London
United Kingdom
“Not recommended”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I booked this for a two night stay, my colleague having stayed an extra night ahead of me. Upon arriving here i though i was at the wrong place (see photo for outside of hotel) the outside needs a facelift immediately. My initial opinion from seeing the outside was one of sheer terror! A complete contrast i found after going inside, the reception area is excellent and looks like a different hotel!
I didn't experience the check in process but the check out process was fast.
The room itself, very tired and dated. Our room had what looked like a superb view, providing you can see past the dirty windows.
Unfortunately we had a terrible night's sleep. It was absolutely sweltering in the middle of the night, we had to have the noisy air con on in order to get the room at a bearable temperature. The windows were literally nailed shut as we were on the tenth floor. The noisy fridge would turn on and off regularly, there was no way to power this off as it was hard wired into the wall.
Being close to the tube there were regular trains back and forth until around 1am. Needless to say we were massively tired the following day.

To summarise, this hotel needs a major facelift, both inside and out. It's in a great location (understandably you can't get away from the underground system) but i would not stay again or recommend to anyone in it's current state.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GemPepp
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your valuable feedback which helps us to ensure we maintain our excellent services and facilities expected by our guests and I apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the concerns you mention. Our Management Team have taken note and will address each of your concerns with the relevant department heads to ensure this is not repeated in future.

I hope you will choose our hotel when you next travel to London so we can take the opportunity to make amends and to ensure you are well looked after so you leave the hotel feeling satisfied which is what we strive for daily.

We look forward to your next visit and hope it will be soon.

Yours sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,398)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Reception is incredibly busy - packed and noisy when I arrived and I have to queue to check in (a pet hate). My "greeting" could best be described as "curt". Most hotels will say things like "welcome" instead of "name?!". Room was a reasonable size but the double bed was very small. Overall the decor is dated and tired - wallpaper starting to come away, carpets held down with duct tape etc.

My room was very hot, and I didn't find the controls until the morning. They were noisy and didn't seem to make much difference.

Curtains were not long enough to cover the window so the room was full of light from 4.30am. The curtain rail fell down when the curtains were touched.

I was better off than a colleague who was on the other side of the hotel and was kept awake by the noise of trains all night.

My bed was too soft - going by other reviews on here, they seem to have a range of firmness!

Breakfast was adequate, but not a great range of choice. Again there were long queues to be seated, which massively annoys me. Why do hotels not provide adequate breakfast facilities for their capacity?

No free wifi.

You would be much better off staying in a premier inn. My company must have had 80 nights worth of rooms booked and was a repeat visit for us, but I don't think we will be back.

Room Tip: Apart from trying another hotel, then request a quiet room and maybe specify mattress firmness
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sarahburton30260
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your review. Your feedback is important as this assists us to maintain consistency with our quality standard level of services that is expected. Our Management Team have noted your concerns to review and to take follow up action for future improvements.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay and hope you will return to stay to give us the opportunity to restore you confidence in our services and assure you of our best attention to your needs to have a memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next travel to London.

Arkansas
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is an average hotel with tired furnishings in average sized rooms. The beds were too hard. Breakfast was very nice and good value. The staff were really friendly and helpful especially the concierge. It is located just a couple of blocks off Kensington high street tube station which was very handy for us. Unfortunately the Wi Fi was not free.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to see overall you had a good stay. We have taken note of your concerns which will be reviewed for future improvements and I apologise for the inconvenience caused. However, I am glad these concerns you mention did not deter you from having an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back when you next travel to London.

scunthorpe
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel which we booked without reading trip advisor! But the day before our stay I did read some reviews which alarmed me but I needn't have worried. Check in was efficient and friendly my request for a quiet room was granted and later my request for another pillow was dealt with immediately. Yes the rooms are a little worn but they were spotless and all the staff we dealt with during our stay we're friendly and helpful.
Car parking very reasonable at £15 per day cheaper than 2 drinks at the bar in fact !
Ideal location for the tube nice restaurants/bars nearby and shopping.
Would recommend

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angelaScunthorpe
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback and I am very pleased you had a pleasant stay and all worked out to your expectation. We hope you will return soon so we can have the opportunity to host you again and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I actually stayed at this hotel twice during a family vacation and both times I wasn't very impressed. The hotel is on a cul-de-sac and could use a power washing. It seemed to be covered in the same grime as the subway tracks it neighbored. The lobby was proper but the rooms were another story.

As for the room, the furniture was very worn (at the least needing new varnish and at the worst total replacement. The table in the first room was missing a leg. The light switches in one of the rooms were a little confusing as well. The beds were comfortable but that might be because I had spent 9 of the last 12 hours flying and had been up close to 24 hours. I later discovered that one of the pillowcases had some mucus on it. The rooms were quiet and the only time I heard other guests was when walking down the hallways. Wi-Fi was 10 Pounds per day which is inexcusable considering the age we live in. My first room only had one accessible power outlet (that wasn't in the bathroom) and it was under a desk. And considering that when I travel I have chargers for my phone, tablet, camera and battery pack, it's a little irritating. The second room I stayed in had two so that wasn't so bad. The bathroom gets very fogged up as the exhaust fans don't work very well and for a big guy like me the shower was quite small (the shower curtain kept sucking onto me).

There were computers in the lobby that offered internet for a Pound per 20 minutes and were quite old. The business center was a joke. They did let me in for free so I could print my boarding pass for my return trip so I was thankful for that. One computer had a very locked-down interface and the computer that wasn't locked down had a broken printer. Both appeared to be running Windows XP. If you didn't know, XP no longer receives security updates and should never be used for any banking or shopping (but I wouldn't do that on a hotel computer anyway).

Now for the good. Breakfast was pretty delicious. I believe they were charging 17.50 Pounds but my tour group had it included. They offered "The Full English" as well as other cereals, fruit, yogurt and juices. As this hotel is heavily travelled by Asian tour groups, they also offered congee (rice porridge) and vegetable noodles. The staff there were friendly and your coffee (or in my case tea) cup was always filled promptly. The tour guide's advice was to get there before 7:30 AM as it gets busy and she was not wrong. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the High Street Kensington Underground Station and several bus lines (we took the #9 quite often) as well as several shops including a pharmacy and grocery store.

This hotel deals with a large number of tour groups (which I was part of). If your travel agent ever suggests this hotel, I would strongly advise them to find a different hotel, even if it costs a few Pounds more per night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TravelerNotTourist01
Dear Guest

Thank you for your detailed review . As a regular guest it is always good to get a view and to be made aware of the different concerns you encountered during your stays. All feedback both positive and negative is very important as this assists our Management Team to take note take follow up action on each of your concerns and also to review for future improvements. I apologise for the inconvenience caused and I hope you will return for us to make amends and also to assure you of our best attention to your needs so your stay is an enjoyable one.

I hope you will continue to support us and we look forward to welcoming you back when you next travel to London.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel is well located in the Kensington/Chelsea area of London. Nice comfortable room with excellent service by entire staff. I would stay there again as it was convenient to subway and bus transport.

Room Tip: Ask or room away from trains,
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your feedback and I am very pleased to see you enjoyed the location of the hotel, your room was comfortable and our staff provided excellent customer services for a pleasant stay. Our Management Team and Staff welcomed your compliments. Such feedback motivates us all to continue maintaining our high standard that is expected and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Look forward to welcoming you when you next travel to London.

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Tara and had a very relaxed time, on arriving we were greeted with very pleasant recepionists who explained all the ammenities of the hotel. We stayed in a superior room which didn't disappoint us in any way, breakfast was very good with plenty of choice, one evening we ate in the hotel bistro which was very good value, the hotel is ideally sited in a quiet location and great for the Tube system and within walking distance to museums and parks etc

Room Tip: Slight train noise at the side of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review and I am pleased to see you and your wife had a lovely break at the Copthorne Tara Hotel recently, especially noting our excellent staff services and facilities in and around the hotel all good value for money all adding to your memorable stay. Our Hotel Team received your comments with grateful thanks.

We look forward to welcoming you both back again soon.