“Great location, good price, but tired...”

Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington
Ranked #464 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, good price, but tired...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have stayed here a lot on business as close to office.
It is reasonably priced considering great location in Kensington, just down street from tube station.
Unlike a number of reviews I have never had issues with cleanliness or noise in all my stays. Certainly other hotels I have used seem to have thinner walls.
However I agree that interior is very tired now in the rooms, often with bathroom fittings well past their prime, variable showers, etc.
Staff always pleasant and helpful although often low staff levels at reception in the morning.
Would recommend for business but if on vacation would not stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review which is important as your feedback assists our Management Team to review the points you raise to take action for future improvements so we continuously maintain our level of standard that is expected for our guests comfort. I thank you for taking your time and glad overall your stay was to your satisfaction and your recommendations are much appreciated.

I hope you will visit us again in the near future and we look forward tow elcoming you back.

Yours sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,381)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

My son and I stayed at the Copthorne Tara because we were able to combine it with Delta Airfare for literally the same cost as airfare alone. I really lowered my expectations. We needed a clean room with twin beds and I was preparing myself for a tiny hideous bathroom and a broken down room. What a pleasant surprise! Our room was clean, sunny (tho the view was of a building across the way), had comfortable beds, lovely little European type comforters with no top sheet (I love those!) and a very adequate bright, clean bathroom with a nice wide ledge behind the sink for toiletries. The bathtub shower was excellent. The room had plenty of storage, a fridge and a good closet. The room was well lit with mirrors and a hairdryer so two people could get ready at the same time and you don't have to heat up the bathroom to dry your hair. We really were happy there and the longer we stayed, the more we appreciated our room.
I booked the buffet breakfast every day and it was really convenient but the food is only average buffet food with barely tolerable scrambled eggs. Everyone is nice and the service is fast there.
The staff is very polite and helpful, but unobtrusive. The building is clean and tidy and a bit old looking - typical hotel...
I've been less happy in some of the best hotels there are. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who is not a snob.
And PS... there is a Whole Foods store right around the corner that is not to be missed! You'll be glad you have a fridge.

Room Tip: I only saw my room. I would have liked a better view because the building across was so ugly. But I...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank samawatha
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your review. I am happy to see we provided good services and facilities more than you expected and was pleasantly surprised, which is what we strive daily to ensure our guests are well looked after and comfortable. We have taken note of your feedback as this helps us to review and maintain consistency with our level of standard and for future improvements.

Your recommendations to TripAdvisor readers is welcomed by our Hotel Team with much appreciation and thanks, and we look forward to welcoming you back to assure you of our best attention to your needs.

Bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Right in the heart of classy Kensington and tucked behind Kensington High St tube this enormous hotel has all the facilities a weary business or tourist traveller needs and close by is an enormous selection of restaurants and is close to all London sights.

I was the weary business traveller and was put on the first floor at the front. I have been told the rooms at the back overlooking the tube can be noisy but at the front I had a nice quiet night despite the buses and taxis arriving constantly. Well built inside so was not even aware of any neighbours.

Breakfast was extremely busy and it was only then that I realised how many people were staying. All well organised with massive choice and helpful attentive staff.

Overall my business rate was £122 inclusive of a hearty breakfast. Will stay here again when I am visiting my office locally.

I did not eat or drink here but the menu for the on site Malay/Chinese restaurant looks excellent

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank BladderedBath
Dear Guest

Your positive review on your recent stay is much appreciated, with special note the location of the hotel is suitable to your needs, and our services and facilities provided in the hotel during your stay was all to your comfort and satisfaction. Your recommendations to travellers you will stay here again is much appreciated and look forward to your continue support on your visits to London.

We extend a warm welcome to you for your return.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

So easy to navigate in London from this location. Sonia gets 5 stars from me for recognizing my exhaustion and doing all she could to get me into my room! The welcoming bellman in their derby hats were just a nice way to arrive. The room was clean and comforting and the breakfast was lovely. I would def stay again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank Snow401
Dear Guest

I am pleased to see from your recent stay you enjoyed the location of the hotel, and our services and facilities in and around the hotel all to your satisfaction and comfortable. Your recommendation to all travellers you will definitely stay here again is much appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I travel to London a huge amount on business and less frequently leisure and find London hotels all much of a muchness within this 4 star price bracket. You have to start from the mind set that you will get far less for your money than elsewhere in the UK including in comparison to the same hotel chains.
So what about the copthorne Tara? we stayed as we were going to Wimbledon. It was a great location for that. And also great location to visit the natural history, science or v&a museums.

The double room was larger than very Central London hotels and the staff were pleasant. Rooms were cleaned well and air conditioning was powerful.

On the minus side, the decor was faded. And I had to move furniture to find the 1 double socket that existed in the whole room.

Our room rate didn't include breakfast so I can't comment.

So in relation to other London hotels in this price bracket, it's fine. You're unlikely to rave about it, but I would find it difficult to complain about it. Have realistic expectations and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank JoC22
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and recommendations to all travellers visiting London. We have taken note of the points raised and will review for future improvements. I pleased you had a pleasant stay and hope you will choose and visit us again on your frequent travels to London.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel is located in a great location - very close to the High Street Kensington tube station. Rooms are excellent, so is the service. Breakfast was very good. Overall, a great place to stay in London. I will surely come back here next time I'm in London.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors offer good views of the city skyline
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Traveller882014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on your pleasant stay at the Copthorne Tara Hotel, Your positive feedback is very pleasing to receive and motivating for our team especially that our services were all to your expectation. Your recommendation that you will be back to visit us again on your next trip to London is much appreciated and thank you.

We look forward to your continued support and extend a warm welcome back soon.

Gorleston-on-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have stayed at Copthorne hotels before and have been pleased, but this hotel is nothing like the others we have been to. Our booking form requested we had a room near to a lift a I have mobility and breathing problems. We were given a room on the 10th floor and it was the farthest room from the lift and each day was a problem for me. The room was tatty and the furniture was hand painted and the bed was not comfortable. The breakfast was limited and after a week the sausage, bacon, egg, tomato or beans was boring as there was never anything such a hash brown, mushrooms or black pudding and there was no porridge. We experienced a problem on our last night when a female member of their staff let herself in without knocking and on seeing me disappeared. We thought this suspicious and wrote direct to the management but they have not responded. Would certainly never go there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noisy railway. If staying for a week be prepared for he same breakfast...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Colombo B
Shahida S, PA to General Manager at Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for sending in your review and for making us aware of the issues that concerned you. I am sorry your room allocation was not to your specification and it is a pity you did not make a report to our Duty Manager at the time so immediate action is taken to ensure your comforts for the duration of your stay. Our Management Team have taken note to follow up on all your feedback and to take appropriate action so these issues are not repeated in future. I apologise for the inconvenience caused and hope you will reconsider to return so we can have the opportunity to make amends to restore your confidence in our services and assure you of our best attention to your needs to have a comfortable stay.

We hope you will visit and look forward to welcoming you back.