“Nice Hotel”

Best Western The Cromwell
Ranked #622 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We were given a huge room (by london standards) on the second floor, light and airy. Double windows kept the noise to a minimum. We didn't get wifi in the room, but it was good in the lobby/bar area, which was fine for us. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was reasonable. Area is great, tube across the street, many good restaurants, short walk to V&A museum.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,338)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This hotel looked very attractive from the outside with a beautiful display of petunias. The location, too, was excellent, especially if you want fast access to the exhibition centre at Olympia or Southfields tube station (for Wimbledon). Gloucester Road underground station is almost directly opposite.

The reception staff were friendly and welcoming but, as another reviewer mentioned, the atmosphere in the reception area was ruined by loud music coming from the adjoining bar area. It was so intrusive that I was curious to see how many people it enticed into the bar. I never saw a single person sitting in the bar area during the whole of my stay! If "The Cromwell" feels it has to play music, please turn it right down - people usually want to chat and be able to hear each other when they are having a drink.

It would also improve first impressions when you walk into the reception area at "The Cromwell".

Unlike many of the reviews, we were happy with the size of our room. It was on the ground floor and perfectly acceptable. The room was clean and the bathroom facilities excellent. I liked the spotlights for reading in bed and the fact that there were plenty of hangers.

The air conditioning was very effective but we found it too noisy to leave on all night.

There was a kettle with free tea, coffee and hot chocolate. An additional selection of herbal teas would be an improvement and I can't see that it would add very much to the expense.

I can't comment on the breakfast because we didn't take it; we felt it was a bit expensive. There are several eating places within five minutes' walk and we had a cooked breakfast each morning for half the price being charged at "The Cromwell".

Would I return to "The Cromwell"? Yes, definitely, if I were looking for a conveniently situated, clean, safe hotel in the Earls Court/Gloucester Road area. But I would hope they might have got rid of the awful music in the bar before my next visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back to avoid the traffic noise on the Cromwell Road
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dodiegale
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I wouldn't stay here again. The place is like a dungeon - mostly underground and really difficult to find your way around. It's also very noisy and the wi-fi was terrible. Breakfast was acceptable but nothing special. There are nicer (and cheaper) hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Try not to get one next to the breakfast room.... can be quite loud from people bustling around.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I cannot count how many times I have been dropped from the weak-at-best signal.

Though very clean, the room is extremely small.

The TV has maybe 5 channels.

Room had no flannels (facecloths). When I went to the desk to request one I was given a disposable piece of paper in a box...

I have had good experiences in Best Western properties before, but this one could use some help.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 30 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My 20 yo daughter and I stayed for a week in May. The rooms were small but very clean. Hotel staff was good - we arrived very early and they stored our bags for us and delivered them to our room on the 4th floor room overlooking Cromwell Road. Wifi didn't work for us in our room, but worked fine in the lobby. TV channels limited but adequate. Bought our breakfast at Sainsbury's each morning and headed out for the day. Close to museums, etc. Tube across the street. Felt very safe, even when arriving back late at night. Easy tube access to Heathrow. This is not a luxury hotel, rooms are small, but so are all the rooms in London. Clean, safe, convenient, can't ask for more for the price!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary D
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have previously reviewed this hotel. When Priceline revealed that I would be staying here again, I was dismayed but resolved to give it a fair go. Sadly nothing has improved here. There is free wifi but it's spotty and slow. The included breakfast is good but there is no variety and the room is crammed with tables placed close together. The location is good, but keep in mind that until midDecember 2014 there is no Piccadilly service at Gloucester Road station due to improvement works. The rooms in this hotel aren't just small, they're tiny, and that goes double for the bathrooms. There are multiple half levels, steps, and extra doorways that are very inconvenient with luggage. After my awful room on my first stay, I emailed to ask for a larger room this time and received such a rude reply from the hotel manager that I gave up. The staff on this visit were adequate but not overly friendly or helpful. There's no doorman, so if you need a taxi you're on your own. Bring your own washcloth as they don't supply these. If you're choosing a hotel in this area you can do much better than here. If you're using Priceline, cross your fingers for the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum or the Copthorne Tara, both of which have fewer issues and more amenities. I would not recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo