“Clean and serviceable for a short stay”

Best Western Corona
Ranked #561 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Having read the reviews on here before booking this hotel, it was pretty much what I expected, which is to say that its a perfectly serviceable place to stay for a brief visit to London. It has a pretty good location, near Victoria Station and the hotel and rooms are clean and appear to be well maintained. We did not interact with the staff much at all and so can not comment other than to say that they seemed to be pleasant and helpful. The breakfast is a continental style and was good, although we only had it one of the four mornings that we were there. The biggest challenges with this hotel are the size of the rooms and the fact that there is no Air Conditioning. As all of the reviews on here note, the rooms are quite small, but again, our room was clean and we were only there to sleep and so didn't mind the room size. The lack of AC was a bit of a challenge though. Considering London's weather, I doubt that its usually much of an issue, but while we were there London happened on a stretch of quite warm sunny weather and the room got pretty stuffy. With an open window and by using the included fan, it was manageable, although I do wish the cleaning staff would leave the window open after they finish cleaning the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Corona

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was booked into the BW Corona by a travel agency for a single night business stay. It was the worst value overnight I have ever had. The rate precharged was higher than the displayed rack rate, which seems to flex by the hour... Although unable to offer any compromise, the guy on reception did at least try to help - he must get a lot of one-night guests who don't believe what they find on arrival.

I was initially allocated to a room in the basement - sorry, 'Lower Ground' floor. With a sash window that had no security, I was not content to sleep in the stuffy, airless box at risk of being joined by bad folk in the small hours. Then I was offered sight of a room on the 3rd floor which was a cunning wrap-around design, hugging two sides of the lift shaft, so you got to feel every vibration and hear every squeek. Finally a 2nd floor room was offered. Handilly, I'd left my acrobatic cat back home so there was no need for swinging room. The bed was soft, the facilities basic, the floor creaky and in the 'compact' shower cupboard, there was a basin of miniscule proportions. Oh, and the wifi was presumably only free because of the awful signal.
Breakfast was very ordinary, with stale croissants, some meagre plates of processed meat and cheese and a range of children's cereal packets on offer. Coffee was plain - but there was a kind offer to specially make an espresso or capuccino.....at extra cost.

Ah, that brings me to cost. All this was charged at the bargain basement rate of £190. No, don't mistake me - that wasn't to buy the lease, or even rent for the week. That was for just one night. An absolute rip-off in a 1-2* venue. Best Western must have rather lowered their standards. We live and learn.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank 27kwai
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Tiny rooms. No air. Rude desk personnel, with no greeting, no offers to help with anything. Tried to charge my wife 2 pounds for toll-free call. Rude desk clerk. You can do much better for the price. AVOID.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Chuck H
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Lets be clear from the start, thgis is not a hotel mearly a baisc bed and breakfast. it has no facilities, no bar, no restaurant and little to commend it.
The old saying of 'you couldn't swing a cat' applies. You wouldn't get the cat in the room !! is was so small.
Location OK if this is the area you need but you would get far better and far cheaperin a real hotel.
Breakfast continental but very basic.
Not to be recommended

3  Thank deke123
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Only stayed one night in a single group on business travel.. the window only opened slightly on floor 4 overlooking main road, not noisy however no air to room.. Room was tiny to say the least clastrophobic and no where to really lay out. TV ontop of wardrobe could get no signal. Bathroom nice and spacious, lovely big shower. Sink very very small to clean your teeth your face was literally against the tiles on the wall.

Bed was ok but room was so stuffy and hot did not sleep at all all night. small desk fan provided but offered no real air. Was very uncomfortable on a hot day and evening like last night. Breakfast ok, no hot food but was adequate. Location in London great near to most things. If I wasnt on business and this wasnt covered by them paying would not stay plenty more hotels nearer central london at cheaper price and bigger.

1  Thank ladypinkof66
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I purchased this on Hotwire as a four star hotel and will say it is absolutely not that. The location was great - central to a lot of things so easy walking and easy access to the underground. The staff was pleasant, the room was clean, and the hotel is cute. But, the room was small even by small room standards, the bathroom door hit the toilet, the bed coverings had holes in them, the room itself was dated and worn, and the walls are very thin (I was fortunate in that my neighbors were quiet). I loved the location, but was disappointed by the quality of the room, even considering a relatively low cost for London.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights recently. Honestly, I was considering canceling my reservations and booking something else. However, I'm glad I didn't. It is located in the Pimlico Victoria area and it was very quiet and cozy.The rooms and bathroom are very small by the american standard, but very clean and comfortable nonetheless. The bed were comfortable, which was aewsome after a long day about. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Especially, Marat....he was so friendly and helpful to us during our stay! He spoke and smiled every time we entered and returned and arranged for our taxi back to the airport. The area it is located in is full of awesome restaurants and low key pubs So, go for a walk and find some of these hidden gems. We enjoyed our stay here and in London as a whole.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends