“A lot to be desired”

Millennium Hotel London Mayfair
Ranked #445 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is an old hotel. It is way too expensive and not worth the money even for its location. The rooms are old and worn down. The club level lounge is old and small with cheap breakfast. I will never stay here again.....

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Ali A

Reviewed 13 June 2012

We always stay at this hotel when we go to London.This is mainly because of its prime location and also because of our experiences.
We were upgraded to a suite which was which gave us alot more space with two bathrooms two televisions and a lounge. It also enabled us to talk to our family who we reunited with in London as they live an hour's drive outside the city.
We made this trip as a birthday treat to see the shows which were part of our Agent package and were fortunate to see Michael Crawford in the Wizard of Oz and of course we saw The Lion King.
The hotel is very close to the shopping areas of Oxford and Bond Street and we did walk to Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, Regent's Park, Green Park, Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square from there but rode back! My brother was our guide though!
The hotel is well maintained, has a good menu and food and service. But the staff are from different cultures and there is a language problem. It can make it difficult sometimes because they have a problem communicating with each other as well as the patrons. I did end up with more soft boiled eggs at breakfast than I had intended and I did wait a long time for them to be cooked. My advice is to stick to what you can see which is varied and well presented.I think that multi cultures are typical of most hotels in the city and it just requires a bit of patience and good humour on the part of the customer!

Room Tip: The suite was great if you can afford it without the free upgrade
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank joanrainbow
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Checked into Hotel which was booked online by my new wife. Her maiden name was still her old one on her credit card and passport. Was not allowed to check in until she arrived due to 'security reasons'. By making a phone call to my wife and handing phone to receptionist, I was eventually allowed access to the room, I could have phoned any female as they did not confirm her details. I then requested my credit card even though the room was paid for which made me laugh I must admit. Anyway, 30 minutes later had to rush to late appointment. Positive, upon return, spoke to duty manager as any feedback is useful to any business. Not only did the receptionist communicate something negative without speaking to a senior, another member of staff decided to get involved only to repeat what the original receptinist said, why??? I also overheard another receptionist speaking down to a perspective customer. This clearly indicated there is an inherant problem with communication to the front of staff.
I got room upgrade and must admit the room was far better. Pillows amazing, beds super comfortable and bathroom and toileteries above avaerage.
Negative, Provided feedback on their form and no contact in over one month. If this was my business... In a year where London could gain a lot, just being in Mayfair does not and will not guarantee custom. Very dissappointed which is why I have posted.

This is the first time I have posted, I feel that strongly.

Room Tip: do not go for basic rooms very small.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RogerSmall
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This hotel has a perfect location and the most important: they have very comfortable madrasses. I have stayed in a lots of hotel and this is the best. Ask for a room with a view to the square. I had it the first time a stayed at this hotel and did not the second time. That was disapointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the square, a little bit more noise but it is worth it
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ThomasOslo42
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Comfortable bed; bathroom could do with updating. Luckily I did not expect or want a view of Grosvenor Square as, in common with many central London hotels, the room I had overlooked the back of the hotel; ventilation shafts etc. Decor of reception area of hotel is also dated. Front of office staffing could be improved; on both check in and check out there was only one member of staff on duty which meant short wait while they dealt with guests ahead of me. Staff polite and helpful. Did not use restaurant or other facilities. Free WiFi seemed to lose internet connection relatively easily.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking Grosvenor Square if you wish to have a view other than the back of the hote...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Given the cost of the room per night - this hotel is in need of refurbishment. The rooms are tired and the bathrooms very small. The location is excellent - close to everything in Mayfair. The restaurant is excellent and the breakfast very good. But the pushy sales tactics upon check-in was very annoying and there is no free WIFI.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Justin255100
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I stayed again at this hotel. It is a good option and well located for business trips and a couple of days of leisure as was my case.

The rooms are good and spacious enough and I have no complaints about the service. Very good breakfast and a proportional price to it.

A negative note is certainly the charges for wireless access. Not only I believe they should not charge wireless access but also the amounts they charge are quite expensive.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family