“Tired but good location and staff are great”

Millennium Hotel London Mayfair
Ranked #431 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Perth, Australia
“Tired but good location and staff are great”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was here for a week on work and couldn't get my usual hotel in Mayfair.
I actually got a decent rate so am not rating the hotel too harshly as other rates in the area were out of control, it was Fashion Week.
Room was OK, facilities are OK, gym a bit ho hum with a lack of gear in my view.
My big problem was internet and I just couldn't get wireless in my room which meant I had to go the bar (no great ordeal there to be honest) to do my email type work however, they never fixed the router in my area despite my repeated calls (although I did give up after two days).
I thought the staff through out the hotel were great. When I checked in another man was also doing the same and he was greeted by name and engaging conversation from one of the front desk staff who wasn't serving him even though he hadn't been there for a few months - nice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is a hotel to avoid. Much better options nearby, which are better priced and significantly nicer. It is overpriced and charges internet per device per day (a huge disincentive). This is a 4-star property with pretentious to be a 5-star property, but there are several reasons why this only got a 1-star rating. The most obvious is that it is extremely poor value. This hotel was booked by somebody else for me, and cost 300 pounds/night (approx $500/night). A quick search on Expedia gave the average for a 4-star hotel in Mayfair at 175 pound/night.

Secondly, the actually property is "tired". This can be seen in lots of details, and a few examples are in the enclosed photos. This is not the standard of a 4-star hotel (let alone a 5-star one). Additionally, the service was mediocre overall, with the front-office and reception staff being very average, while some of the others were better . A minor point, but a symptomatic one, was that there was no soap in my bathroom when I arrived and it took 3 separate calls to get any delivered. This just typifies the standards. Also, it was interesting to hear the reception staff try and sell "upgrades" to new arrivals, and this is clearly part of the approach this chain takes.

Thirdly, this hotel is one of those that charges 10 pounds/day (approx $16/day) for 24 hour internet access. Note that this is PER DEVICE. As we had 4 devices in our room this meant that to utilize them we had to leave the hotel and find a free WiFi network at a coffee shop. This approach is simply not acceptable in today's wired society, and all hotels that charge for internet access are ones I usually boycott.

Overall, therefore, while the location is good, the hotel should be avoided unless you can get rates below 200 pounds per night (approx $300/day) AND they alter their WiFi policy. The hotel also needs upgrading and detailing. Interestingly, after writing this review, I noticed that of the previous 8 postings on TripAdvisor, 6 were a 1-star or 2-stars only, with many of these low rating being from Senior and Top contributors, so this consensus seems pretty consistent. Management doesn't seem to care, since there were no responses to any of these issues since May 2013.

As an aside, I am also increasingly concerned by TripAdvisor's rankings. This particular hotel advertises widely on the internet, and I note that the higher rankings are mostly older. Call me cynical, but it is an experience I have had before with TripAdvisor whereby newer rankings are not rated more highly, but are considered equivalent to those from some years ago. Given that this is a company that likely pays TripAdvisor for higher profiles, it seems very inappropriate that it got a "Certificate of Excellence" in 2013, when it has been so poorly rated for at least the past 3 months.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Peter S
Ossett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I was with work for an awards ceremony on Park Lane and so they had booked this hotel (so did not need to spend anything). I have no idea of what the true costs were and so this review is being written without any bias on how much it cost in relation to what you received in return. I can say that the location on Grosvenor Square was fantastic as this allowed us all to go on a great walk around the centre of London on day, and another walk to Hyde Park the next. The lobby was very clean and the rooms were inviting and provided everything that they needed to for a one night stay. The only down points were that the bed was far too soft and that there was no view at all (with the exception of all the rooms either facing, or looking down onto, the air conditioning unit). The buffet breakfast was absolutely fantastic and was one of the best ones that I have had in ages. A very rewarding place to go to for no personal cost, but I would not go here if I was paying myself (as am sure that the cost would be horrendous)....

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Joseph H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

As with previous posts, the only good thing about this property is its location. I was staying here for 1 night on business, my goodness, I wished I stayed somewhere else. I was paying corporate rate and that was still a massive rip off. Rooms are tired, old fashioned and worn; lack plugs.... the list goes on. Amenities are very basic in the bathroom and the room itself. Service is the usual standard average London affair. Nothing to write home about

2 Thank jasperlai8429
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

......and I booked it in February at a 40% discount for a Club double room. Only gets 2 stars because of the location, the Club lounge and Pine bar staff whose services are excellent.

Reasons for such a poor review:

Room not ready at the check in time and I asked could we wait in the club lounge as paid extra for room, which we could. I asked them to let us know when room was available and send keycards up to the lounge as we both have mobility issues. 1 hour later no room so I asked the club lounge attendant, Jacquline if she could check for us, which she did. We were requested to go back down to reception from the lounge on the top floor to pick up keys!! I got them delivered to us. Thank you Jacquline - the first of many nice service touches from her. The room was very large with a lot of wasted space, but VERY tired with bad charity shop furniture. It is not a double bed but two large single beds pushed together with the hard double edges of two mattresses in the centre. There is no bedside table, light or any bedside facilities on one side of the bed because there is a connecting door to the next room right by the side of the bed. In order to have something to put drink, book, watch, spectacles etc on I moved a stool from the end of the bed to the side of the bed. Just as well I have a clip on light with my kindle for reading at night. One of the mattresses was ok, the other was a nightmare - all you could feel were the springs poking through.
The bathroom has no socket for a shaver/toothbrush charger and you would need an adapter to use in the room socket. Only two spare UK sockets in such a large room and one of those was for the kettle. Shower is good though and bathroom has plenty of space.
Room keycards failed 3 times during a 2 night stay and the room housekeeper made me go to the reception to have it sorted on the final occasion when both cards failed when all we wanted to do was pick up our bags to check out!!
Club rooms are supposed to have complimentary newspapers - this means obtaining them from the concierge, who is also a credit to the hotel, they are not delivered to the room. They are also supposed to have a turndown service with a number of services including bottled water left by the bed for the night - ours only happened on the first night. Had to ring and then someone just came turned down the bedcover, chucked slippers on the floor (which weren't asked for) and left - no water, no anti slip mat put in the shower of any of the other nice little touches we had on night one.

Other good points: Location is superb, Concierge got us taxis whenever we needed them with no wait and Bellboy brought up cases within a few minutes of us eventually arriving in the room. Will not be returning - as plenty of other reviewers have commented, there are plenty of other 4 and 5 star hotels in this area of London.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else within Mayfair/West end of London.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robinsnesting
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The only good thing about this place is the location. I was staying here for a business conference. The location is walking distance from most of the famous streets and areas of central London: Oxford Street, Bond Street, Picadilly, Liecester square, Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Big Ben etc.
The hotel has purely basic facilities but not even a kettle in the room to make hot tea or coffee.
The main door is not sound proof and hence noisy even when someone walks by in the corridor.
The sink has a weird system too. maybe modern but not convenient.
I wouldnt recommend it. Too overpriced and not worth it.

Room Tip: Swimming Pool and SPA dont exist
6 Thank Vasudha D
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I was booked here by some collegues at the American Embassy which is less than a block away from this hotel. They booked other guests at the Marriott, but I committed to going too late to get into the "good" hotel so I had to accept proximity over quality. The hotel is just a few blocks from Hyde Park and close to Marble Arch so I cannot complain to much because I enjoyed running in the park everyday. But, the rooms were shabby and dated. The first room they put me in had such a bad AC leak...that clearly had been that way for a long time....that the room smelled like mold. There was an obvious large stain on the carpet in the hallway where the AC has been leaking on the floor. The fact that they still book people in this room without fixing the problem is just blind greed and is reckless with people's heath. The floor was wet to the touch for goodness sake. I gritted through it the first day because I was just glad to have a room before 3 p.m. after an all night flight to London from Africa. But after my meetings the next day, the smell hit me like a wall as soon as I walked into the room and they moved me without too much trouble. Except the concierge was supposed to bring keys and move me to the new room....but I waited and waited and finally just went and got the keys and moved myself. The service is just so mediocre that it's aggravating. The highlight of the whole stay was the bartender service at the Pine Bar. There's a Lithuanian woman and a Hungarian man serving at different shifts and both are worth their weight in gold. And on Fri night there is a great pianist who plays in the Pine Bar. He's very good. If you can get a room at the Marriott on the other side of the square, stay there and come have a drink or light meal at the bar. It's a bargain compared to the Gordon Ramsey restaurant/bar there.

1 Thank Cycloneusa