“Crappy hotel in a nice area”

Hilton London Green Park
Ranked #584 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Atlanta
“Crappy hotel in a nice area”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights on my visit to London. We stayed here because our colleagues wanted to. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The bar and it's collection are crappy. They have 3 beers on draft and 4 more more beers in bottles. Really? The ambiance is nothing to write about.

Now comes the room. We head towards the elevator and it is probably 100 yrs old. No more than 3 people will fit in there. The wood work is coming off on the walls and stuff. I get off on 4th floor to my room and i find a narrow pathway no more than 1 meter wide. and it's is up and down as if i am walking on a miniature golf course in an amusement park. I was like what the crap?

Now i get in the room and it is no more than 125 sqft including bathroom. I get that because it is old architecture and stuff. It has a 27" flat screen TV in the corner. Really? The insulation on the windows is really bad. It is 4-5 degree celcius difference compared to where the bed is. Even the floor is uneven and screeches when you walk.

I can keep going with the bad experiences. one more thing, the conceirge is worse. I asked for restaurants and he gave me a magazine to look at. Really? I will never stay at this hotel again nor recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 26 January 2014

A superb ambience of older architecture and modern facilities. The staff are always first rate and the breakfasts are to die for. The hotel is well situated for the tube and other transport and is near to the numerous restaurants in Shepherd's Market plus Green Park and Hyde Park. The rooms are always in top notch order and the beds are comfortable in the extreme.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We booked to stay at this hotel as part of a mini-break to London, using hilton honours vouchers given to us as a wedding gift. We arrived at the hotel to check in at 3pm, to be told our room was not ready. We were offered a complimentary drink at the bar which was appreciated. 45 mins later we asked again if our room was ready to be told no, but that we would be allocated another room. On getting to this room it became quite apparent that something had gone very wrong with our booking - I booked a king deluxe townhouse style room, what I got was smaller than a premier inn room and quite frankly not worth the cost! The staff at reception informed me that our reservation was recorded as a double room, which is incorrect, but did move us to a more spacious double. I decided to forget about this mistake and take appropriate steps when we got home.

Many of the furnishings in the new room were damaged, and our bathroom was slightly dirty. I tried to ignore this and make the most of the time we had left of our break. My husband and I had been up since 4.30am so we decided we would try to nap before going out that evening. As I got into bed I noticed the sheet was slightly damp, and I thought this may have been because I sat on the bed after a quick shower. Unfortunately on closer inspection (i.e. touching and smelling more of the sheets), we made the horrific discovery that the mattress and mattress topper were soaked in urine.

I was shaking and felt sick. We called reception who sent someone from housekeeping up. She spoke little English, touched the mattress and left the room to get someone else. A young man came to the room and asked me "is this tea?" to which I replied "I hope so, since it is now on my hands and skin, but the smell suggests otherwise". I watched as our mattress was replaced and then I insisted we left the room and go into London early. The receptionists were apologetic as we left, but didn't really do or say anything more. Our bed was made when we returned later, but there was nothing else (for example, a note from the hotel).

The next morning we were only offered a 20% reduction on the cost of our room from someone we believe to have been the front of house staff manager, when we had specifically asked to speak to the manager of the hotel. I was given her business card and asked to contact her when we came back so she could personally check our room!! I believe I made it clear that I would never be returning to this hotel.

I am absolutely disgusted that this could have been allowed to have happened in the first place, but even more horrified at the relaxed attitude of the majority of the staff. Does this happen so often that it no longer shocks them?? Absolutely horrible experience, it made me feel sick to my stomach. I am also deeply disappointed that vouchers given to us as a wedding gift have been spent on this trip, since it will not be a memory that I am fond of. As far as I am concerned you really are only paying for location when it comes to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Becky C
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Rooms are small and a little tired. No minibar was a little disappointing. Hotel is in a great location, though. Staff were perfectly friendly. Did not have breakfast so cannot comment on food or restaurant facilities.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

BANGOR, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Very nice friendly reception, very helpful staff well presented and willing to help. Room small but adequate apart from the bathroom looking grubby(needed a re-grout)carpets looking well worn even stained in places as in the dining and breakfast area. Just enough milk for one drink provided in the room and not very luxurious (cheap toilet roll)!! Noise from the adjoining room very annoying and the corridor noise was very loud. Every creek and door slam was heard also footfalls from above rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Sunderland
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I like this hotel, it's my third visit in as many years so there's something I like about it. This visit was a little disappointing though. Check in was efficient as usual, staff here have always been good. The room was described on check in as a Deluxe Double. On entering the room it was very similar, albeit a few feet wider, to the single I ended up with on my last trip. I'm still pondering as to why it was classed as a "deluxe" though. The room was perfectly functional but there was nothing particularly "deluxe" about it. If it was a standard room I may have overlooked the overall small size, missing mini bar, missing extra pillows or blankets, no dressing gowns that tend to appear in rooms labelled deluxe these days. I couldnt help notice the carpet.... Personally I wouldn't be letting out a room that needed a £50 worth of carpet cleaning. The walls could do with a lick of paint etc. The room overall, whilst perfectly functional, looked like it had seen better days and it needed a chat with some decorators!! Value is always related to price, and this was the most I'd paid per night for any London trip for the last 33 years and it certainly wasn't the best room. Another bewilderment which seems to feature in most hotels these days is the TV. Be aware hotel operators...your guests require a television, not a menu driven tech box from NASA. Interestingly....the receptionist DID tell us the times for breakfast when we checked in...but that went in one ear and out the other. Could I find that info ANYWHERE in the room the following morning? No, of course not, not on paper and not on the TV's extensive but mainly useless information system. Breakfast was an additional £14 per person on top of the Expedia rate we had booked. The breakfast was certainly decent, arguably more expensive in terms of value than nearby cafes but convenient all the same. To be fair to Hilton, the breakfast buffet had plenty choice and I'd struggle to fault it.

Evening visits to the bar were pleasant, good barman and nice cocktails....however...my gripe is with "service charge". Wether you buy a newspaper at a newsagent or you purchase a house...service comes into it somewhere down the line. Displaying prices for a range of drinks and stating 12.5% service charge will be added does not hide the fact that displayed prices are therefore not valid. It may becoming the norm to add "service charge" but at the end of the day its an American trend that in the UK we simply look at as a rip off. A price is a price, don't go sticking the price up with silly looking add ons. Why not add a "plumbing charge" to each room, or a "Lift Levy" to each room above the ground floor?????

If you need to charge more to balance the books then fine, we'll make our purchasing choices from there, but please...credit us with some intelligence.

The bad points.....Some rooms seem to need a refurb and possibly reclassification. Price was steep on this occasion and brain insulting service charges.

Good points...location, my favourite part of London, great staff, good breakfast.

I'd stay there again but would look out for more competitve rates next time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TonyLonsdale
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The Hilton Green Park hotel has a great location just a few minutes walk from both Piccadilly, Mayfair, and as I, coming from London city airport on the Jubilee line, the tube station of Green Park is very convenient nearby the hotel. Having said so, the hotel does not have this international format that you've expect from a Hilton hotel. Located in a row of two to three old Victorian houses, it puts severe constraint as to the interior of the hotel. The hallways are narrow, not always straight and with steps here and there. The rooms are indeed very small, but as I was on a business travel, no problem for me. However, the service at the hotel is far from even. Check-in was friendly, and with a smile. I had requested a high floor room, but got a ground floor (no 35) room facing an almost wall, and with no possibility to request for a room change. The room was clean, very small, but had all necessary amenities, a decent bathroom, but shower in the tub. I noticed the TV channels provided, adequate but lacking business channels such as CNBC and Bloomberg. One negative at the hotel was the quality of the wifi. Whenever I had to re-access the wifi, I was required to re-logo with login details, quite annoying actually. My package was a business bed and breakfast. The breakfast restaurant was nice, with a lot of great choices, an egg/omelette stand, and coffee and juice served with a warm smile. Overall, I must say that I agree with other readers on this review that the rooms are indeed not that exciting at this hotel. I may have been unlucky on ground floor, but overall you should be prepared for a stay in a hotel where the interior is constrained by the design of these old British Victorian style town houses and therefore does not meet or resemble any other international hotel chain. As London is an expensive city, room pricing at this hotel is fair, it's not cheap in any way, but you pay more for the location than the interior. A facelift (renovation) could be a good thing for the Hilton Green Park. This stay was my second at the hotel, last time I did indeed get a high floor room, which meant a much more airy and lighter place to stay. Avoid ground floor rooms unless you get a good deal:-)