“Best Hotel In London”

Ranked #371 of 1,063 Hotels in London
la jolla
“Best Hotel In London”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

There might be "fancier" hotels in London but nothing could compare to all that this Marriott Grosvenor Square Hotel offers... Location is out of sight, rooms (especially on first floor!) are gorgeous, service is top cabin from front desk, to bellhops, to housekeeping to roomservice...
everyone who works at the hotel makes you feel like you are "home" and there isn't anything that they can't help you with! I have stayed here exclusively now for 6 years... never having anything but a fabulous experience. Oh... and did I mention how COMFORTABLE the bed and beddins are.... THE BEST!!!! I love this place... and would disagree with anyone finding fault.

Room Tip: I think first floor comtemporary rooms with balconies are the best.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Indonesian first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 October 2013

It is very hard to rate this hotel as there are so many pros and cons. For that reason, I will write the review that way. You should also know that this is an international hotel with many cultures staying at this property.
Pros:
It is a very quiet hotel, there is no road noise or noise from other rooms and the air conditioner works extremely well for a hotel. I requested a courtroom side room to reduce the chance of road noise. It was not necessary at all. The room itself was very dark, lights needed to be on all day. My co-traveler had a room on the street side of the hotel, which was bright and sunny. Because the street itself is not busy, there is no road noise on that side of the hotel. The bed and bedding was wonderful. No noise and a great bed really makes traveling more enjoyable. We did not have any meals at the hotel due to price. However if you are a fan and have the money to send, Gordon Ramsey has a restaurant there.
The location is ideal for anyone who likes to walk. Close to Hyde Park and only 1.2 miles for Piccadilly Square. There is a restaurant row, on St. James Street which is about 3 streets up and 1 street over from the hotel. While good for people watching, the food is not bad it was always packed. The area is safe, we spent hours walking around and it was easy to find the streets and buses to get where you needed to go.
Cons:
As other reviews have said, the hotel is very dated. If you are traveling for business, there are only two plugs for all our PC’s tablets and toys. Converters are needed however, there are only two plugs. There are none by the beds, where I normally charge my phone. I had to dry my hair at the “desk” area because in the bathroom; there are only plugs for shavers. I have loss a couple of hair dryers to these plugs, so I didn’t risk it. The furniture and carpet are really, really old. The coffee in the rooms is instant; however I have found that to be true in England and Switzerland. I normally bring Folgers single cup packs and wait a few minutes. No modern coffee makers here. It is time for a renovation.
The spread in the executive lounge, morning or evening was not every good. Hilton wins this hands down in Europe. Marriott should send someone to stay at the Hiltons so they can see where they are missing the boat.
The staff at the front desk are friendly and helpful, the doorman, not so much. I thought I heard one of them growl. Not all of them, but a couple.

Room Tip: If you like sunshine, ask for a street side room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Daph0953
Riga Region, Latvia
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is a common problem anywhere but i dont expect to happen to me when i check in this hotel. Spanish tall receptionist is so rude and showing unexplainable attitude towards us. There is a spanish family checking in before us and she was so accomodating to them but when it comes to us, she just ignore everything what we would like to. She is so unprofessional. She ruin our plans for our anniversary and instead of staying for a week the next day we checked out and look for a hotel that will make our visit in london complete.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Ilodivin
Novato, California
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This amazing property gives a small boutique hotel feel with the customer service and amenities of a large cosmopolitan venue. Our room was spacious and light with very large Windows ndows that open to the fresh air. The trademarked Mariott bed is divine in comfort . The hotel has weddings every weekend and we got to watch a classic Indian wedding party. The spectacular Gordon Ramsay hotels Maze and Maze grill are on site, offering great food,excellent service, and inspiring decor. There's a great pub right on the corner across from the hotel entrance; the Barley Mow. In the next block is a fabulous Italian latte/breakfast/lunch/dinner spot named Pontis kitchen that offers simple,fresh food at a great value. Oxford street shopping, buses and tube are close by.

Room Tip: We had a corner room with a king bed on the first (one level up) floor.we also were able to check in...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed here one night on my way back from Barcelona. The property is in a great location and I found the staff to be quite friendly & helpful with directions, etc......... Lives up to the Marriott standards.....Great stay!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is the first time I have stayed here, normally frequenting other hotel brands. I have to say that I was delighted with every possible aspect. The decor, the rooms, the staff. Everyone was extremely professional, not arrogant, welcoming but sincere and utterly helpful. I didnt have time to eat here but I will certainly come again if I can

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Seattle
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We usually stay at Marriott Hotels and this one was consistent with all the other Marriott Hotels we have stayed at. Comfortable, with nice food and free alcohol in the concierge lounge if you are a Gold member. Totally worth it, they had snacks etc out all day. Nice to go in and grab a snack and glass of wine after a long day touring... The room we had was quite small. Typical of what I would expect for a European hotel. But nice and clean. We just had no room to really move around. They have a bar downstairs called the Luggage Room, wish we had discovered that earlier in our stay. Hand crafted drinks, and it is like an old speak easy and beautifully decorated.
This hotel is less than 2 blocks to the back door of the tube station Bond Street, felt completely safe walking to it, nice neighborhood. Dinner restaurants are just about 3 blocks away on James.
Street. Plenty of choices, had Thai one night, and French another. We were completely happy! Staff was knowledgeable, helpful and knew the town.

Room Tip: Our room was so quiet, faced the park.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple