“Outstanding staff, location”

Ranked #371 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding staff, location”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

There's a ton of places to stay in London, and a great number of Marriott hotels too, if you're brand loyal. But this hotel has the most personable staff in all of the local hotels (and I've stayed in all of them). As a platinum guest, the lounge experience is something that makes a big difference - and the lounge is a huge plus here. Jo and Csongor truly make your stay a top flight experience - greeting you by name, attending to whatever you may need, making you feel home away from home. The location of the hotel really can't be beat either, close proximity to the tube, local shopping and restaurants, without being too close to Oxford St. Two Gordon Ramsay restaurants also make this an excellent choice, particularly for the weary business traveler. Choose here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank godbully
Ian P, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear godbully

I would like to thank you for taking the time to submit a review on TripAdvisor.

Thank you so much for your comments about your club lounge experience in particular about Jo and Csongor, this was great to read about. I will ensure these comments are shared with both of them and indeed the rest of the hotel team.

I do hope we will have the oppertunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Ian Pask

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Indonesian first
Grand Bahama Island
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed in this property around Christmas time,i was surprised on how small the lobby was,yet so cozy and clean!! i was upgraded with my family into a suite and we had an extra room for the kiddies "i really enjoyed the service staff are all wonderful from duty managers,to house keeping and onwards ready for all and everything!! we had a corner suite with an open fire in those chilly nights!!(the only experience that was on the down fall was the room service,which belongs to Gordan Ramsey,the hotel does not have much say in it?they kept on trying to express to them to improve with the service but in the five nights of being there it was a NO GO,i had to order out!!Only the last night after the Operations manager,a lovely gentleman from Thailand a country with so much knowledge in the hospitality industry,if you have been there you will understand!! so he did all his best to make our stay nothing but pleasant!! so he ha some influence to say well ENOUGH,try to do something for the NAME sake of Gordan Ramsey,and our hotel "so for the first time the food was tasty,and fresh!l think that now i could say well try thr food you might have better luck!!(oder in and watch a range of great movies for a bargain price,we enjoyed it as a family).BUT never the less the shopping is right on the corner main strip,you have selfridges one of the elite stores,apart from harrods!! you have restaurants bars,and all upper class of course!!A GREAT NEIGHBOURHOOD!!really!! PLEASE DO TRY IT OUT!!
I thank you so much!! to the great hospitality!!we will be back!! Regards to our Director of Operations,you gave us a bit of Thailand in the London busty city!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Daniela B

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your kind coments about the hotel and staff especially Aekphon our Director of Operations from Thailand.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

DFW Texas
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My most recent stay in London was short, but made a bit nicer by my choice of hotels this trip. The Marriott Grosvenor Square is in a central location and not on one of the major streets so, though you hear some noise, it's not as loud as many of the other major hotels in central London. It's an easy walk to shopping and dining, and not all that far from the theaters either. As usual, the Marriott staff were friendly on in top form. The one complaint was that the mattress appeared to have been slept on one too many times and - sagging greatly when I awoke (with a sore back). If I'd not needed to rush to LHR for an early flight , I would have discussed this with the front desk before departing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ian P, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Prof Coop

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I would sincerely like to apologise to you for the sore back and the inconveniennce of a bad nights sleep, it is very rare to receive bad feedback regarding our beds. Please do contact my PA on louise.jameson@marriotthotels.com with the details of the room you stayed in so housekeeping can look into this.

Thank you so much for your comments regarding the staff it is always a pleasure to read such feedback.

I do hope we will have the oppertunity of welcoming you back in the near future and We look forward to hearing from you.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed here in February for 5 nights and I didn't want to leave. I never like to travel, but if someone said, ''Okay, you need to live in this hotel for the next 6 months'', I would say, ''Okay, I can do that.''

The hotel is expensive, but every hotel is expensive in London. It's nearby Oxford/Regent street and my office was a 20 minute walk.
The bed was incredibly comfortable (much more than my own, sadly!) with a great variety of pillows (this is my thing).
They gave me a 1st floor room that faced the park and it was beautiful. They even gave me a mini-fridge (no charge!) to store my almond milk, gluten-free stuff, etc. The room itself was beautiful with a giant bed and high ceilings and a hard floor (loved this). The room and hotel was extremely clean.
The bathroom was really nice - plenty of hooks and thick towels and a super comfy robe - great water pressure and amenities.
The gym was nice (though in a basement which is always a bit depressing) - it supplied towels and water and earphones. The only negative thing was that the vents were blowing right in your face if you were on the elliptical. (seriously, I am trying to find something wrong with this hotel)

The main thing I felt about this hotel was that people who work there had actually stayed in the rooms and thought of all the little things - where to put hooks, where to put light switches, where you needed outlets - it felt very thought-out.

The biggest thing was that the staff was so so so nice. This hotel is in a super posh area, and you would think that combined with it being London, you'd get some snooty hotel staff (especially when you rock up in your gym clothes to check-in), but they were so authentically nice and genuine. Even the maintenance man who came to show me how to properly use my heating was so interesting and nice - worked there for over 20 years?!

I think if you're in the hotel business, you should stay in this hotel so you can see how a hotel should be.

Room Tip: Ask for the 1st floor that face the park
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AshBH
Ian P, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear AshBH

I would like to take this oppertunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor.

It was an absolute joy to read your review about this property. We are so glad you had a great stay and do hope we will see you again very soon.

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Central location, it took me 15 minutes subway ride to my meeting, i had time to spare and with no-stress.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness: And no doubt that i agree 100%, spotless and inviting

Not Cheap but i am not complaining, afterall this is London.

Quaint, old building with character.

Service did not dissapoint, genuinely caring staffs

Room Tip: Corner rooms, but beware, always over-subscribed
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Stone S

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I was verly pleased to see you had a wonderful stay and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Extremely overpriced. Bedrooms were clean and fuctional. Extremely noisy from the cconstant traffic outside our room on the first floor. Didn't exoect to have to pay £24.99 to watch television. Outrageous! Breakfast was underwhelming. I expected better from the Marriott. Wouldn't recommend to friends if there were other choices.

• Stayed March 2014
Ian P, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear lmb210

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I was very sorry to read you were less than satisfied with your stay with us. We constantly review our pricing to ensure we position ourselves competitively in our market set here in Mayfair. The TV package you selected at £24.99 gives you 24hours unlimited access to pay per view movies and music, we do have other pay per view options and of course a whole range of channels that we do not charge for.
I would like to sincerely apologise that your breakfast experience was ‘underwhelming’. I would very like some more information on where you had breakfast to better address your concerns, we either offer breakfast in our executive lounge for guests who have paid the upgrade supplement or in Gordon Ramsay’s Maze Grill. Any feedback about what in particular you felt did not meet your expectations would be most helpful. Please do contact my PA on louise.jameson@marriott.com

We look forward to hearing from you in order to rectify the issues you have raised. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Toronto, ON
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This hotel is in an unbeatable location, steps from the shops of Oxford Street, the famous high tea of Claridges, and the runner's paradise of Hyde Park. It's within easy walking distance to several Tube stops -- Bond Street is closest, but Oxford Circus makes the most sense if you're arriving at Gatwick and taking the Express to Victoria Station. I walked easily to Leicester Square in about 30 minutes. If you're travelling alone, you won't feel remotely unsafe in this neighbourhood. I found this hotel through a Priceline mystery shop, so paid considerably less than the rack rate, which made me love it even more. Staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. When my room wasn't ready for my early arrival, they offered to text me when it became available and were quick to store my bags. Rooms are comfortable and contain a mini bar, plenty of closet space, free wifi and a comfortable toilet/bath area. A good find for breakfast is Pain au Quotidien (about two blocks away) at 18 Great Marlborough St. If you're coming from North America and don't know John Lewis (the department store at 278 Oxford Street), do yourself a favour and do a little exploring there. The fashion is beautifully and thoughtfully curated.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TravellerfromTO
Ian P, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear TravellerfromTO

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor.

I would like to thank you for your comments about the hotel and the staff and was very pleased to see you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I do hope we will see you again in the near future.