“Great Location”

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
Ranked #367 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location. Very close to Oxford Street, at the level of Selfridges. It has a very pleasant outlook over Grosvenor Square.
The hotel has a modern interior and the room I had was a good size, well appointed and comfortable.
I found the staff pleasant and helpful. The room I had gave me access to the Club Lounge, which although very busy, had enough seating to accommodate all the guests using it. The facilities in the lounge were good, however I would have liked to have seen the evening canapé selection replenished more quickly. The breakfast was very good.
I had room service one night, which was very, arrived quickly and was hot and tasty. I chose to eat in the Maze Grill the second night. The food was excellent and the service good.
I was on a shopping trip for two days and I found the location really good - I was able to pop in and leave my shopping, have a short rest and then go back out again to the shops.
My only criticism would be - on the day of my departure, there was a taxi cab strike. The night before I ordered a 'car' to take me to Paddington Station. The concierge did not seem to know about the strike and kept insisting I could get a taxi at the door (even though his assistant kept reinforcing with me that there would be no taxi's). When my car arrived next day - there were quite a number of people trying to get a taxi to no avail!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Rosy944
Write a ReviewReviews (1,590)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed recently for 5 nights. Absolutely loved the location and the staff. Everyone from the doorman to the executive lounge staff were very helpful. I was there celebrating my Mothers Birthday and they even provided her cupcakes with London markings that made her day and I very much appreciated their attention to detail. Front desk staff was very professional and always did things right the first time. Room was ready when they said it would be as I had asked for an early check in. The lobby is small but only once felt crowded so I did not see that as an issue. The executive lounge had great food and snacks although it was a zoo several times during our stay almost making it not enjoyable during the peak times (breakfast). Did not have an issue with wifi the entire time. I have been Platinum for the past 12 years and would rate this hotel one of the best for location and staff. The property itself seemed cramped and a little dated but I would definitely stay here again as management and staff more than make up for it. There are MANY great restaurants within an easy walk and nothing beats walking Oxford Street.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jon C
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

One night stay on business in London.

Good points:

1. Location is lovely.
2. Staff largely helpful.
3. Rooms well appointed (in standard Marriott attire) if a little small and with dated bathrooms.
4. Gym is excellent.
5. Welcome drink in the very nice bar (luggage room) and the complementary snacks with drinks.

Bad points:
1. Too expensive for what you get (London in general I suppose)
2. Lobby very small (not great when you want to catch up with colleagues etc.)
3. Lunch, dinner and drinks menus are over priced AND they add on gratuity (from memory it was 12%. Is this now a "thing" in London? I thought this nonsense was confined to the States!
4. Marriott lounge was over-crowded so I could not get my breakfast. I stood at the food counter looking for a seat with a bottle of juice in my hand. A staff member approached me (I hoped in order to help me with somewhere to sit) and helped me open the juice and then left me standing there. I grabbed breakfast elsewhere. There needs to be a backup plan for times like this (eg let me go to the restaurant) when the place is over crowded.
5. Seemed to be more a tourist feel then a business feel which was bad for me but could be good for others.
6. Marriott needs to sort out wifi period. I have complementary wifi with gold membership ( I do over 50 nights a year) but honestly...technology has moved on... Most people expect free wifi. I can get free wifi on Dublin Bus and in Dublin airport with ONE CLICK. At check in I was given a full one page instruction sheet on how to access the network. I didn't bother as I only needed to use a small amount of data so just used my cell phone and avoided reading the sheet.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MR_Gold_IRL
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Booked here for 2 nights on a birthday trip with my wife, location excellent, hotel really nicely done, service brilliant, we used the Lounge with free drinks and nibbles as we were a Marriott Gold member which was very nice, I prefer the "Marriott Park Lane" as per my review for that hotel but I would not be disappointed if in future Park Lane was full and we stayed here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Location, location and location! It's on Park lane right next to Oxford. It has the look of a classical English monument. The toilet flush had some issues, but the room service took care of it. Bed was really comfortable. Morning breakfast had a good range or delicacies. Concierge service was of high standards. This was my second visit and I would love to keep the option open for my next stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2014

If you want to shop, this hotel is perfect. A very short walk to Oxford and Selfridges & Co et al.
Also, very nice West End locale for upper end shops and a short cab (or walk) to Harrod's. And, for the location, the underground is very convenient! As far as other 'tourist' attractions, I would give shopping, pubs, and restaurants this location as it's number one value, but you are short cab and bus rides to all the biggies, Tower, Eye, Westminster, Big Ben...and walks to Hyde, Buckingham, and others.
If you can get a good price, say around 250-300 bucks, take it. Well worth it.
Solid Wi-Fi, great staff, and clean comfortable rooms.
My only knock-slow elevators!

Room Tip: Go for a courtyard view if you wish total quiet, like we had...perfect!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank L5999SQrobertg
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I took a big risk; 20th wedding anniversary. One night only. Train up to London. Top end hotel.... It paid off.

I emailed the hotel ahead and told them of the special circumstances. The receptionist greeted my wife with "happy anniversary" (which the married guys will know, was worth the price of the entire trip to London/dinner/show/hotel) . We had a suite, which by London standards was huge. Windows overlooked, in three directions, the roofs of Mayfair and Oxford Street. We could just imagine Mary Poppins and the chimney sweep bloke, who nobody can remember the name of, dancing among the chimney pots and roof-top gardens.

This was a four star review - minus 1 for the excruciating price (I paid with zillions of points and hundreds of pounds) - but my loyalty, and the extra point, was sealed with a bottle of fizz on ice waiting for us in the room.

Beautiful, thank you.

Room Tip: 5th and 6th floors give the best views over London.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple