“Great location, good do with some improvements”

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
Ranked #362 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel had most of what i needed for a business trip, walking distance from the office i was working in and great central location. So let me start with the good things about this hotel:

1. Location: Great central location, access to anything i needed and didn't have to get on the tube, plus it is close to Hyde Park and that is such a beautiful park.
2. Maze restaurant is attached to this hotel, you can't stay here and not try one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants, and to my surprise the food price was not terrible.
3. Rooms were clean, i am big on not seeing hair on my bathroom floor or anywhere in my room and they definitely met my expectations there.
4. The staff was very friendly and very helpful.

Moving on to the bad
1. The coffee cups were not washed, i found lipstick on my coffee mug.... not once..
2. I would think all hotels will offer their guests complementary WIFI in this day and age, but not only was this not offered the price was astronomical, to me.
3. The gym was a little disappointing, they had all the standard machines, but the machines would stop in the middle of my workouts (very frustrating, especially when you are getting into a zone).
Staying here for business, it is a little frustrating to not have complementary internet, maybe if i were staying here for leisure it would not be as annoying.
Overall, i would say this is an O.K hotel, if they would update their cardio machines, make sure all their coffee cups are washed and provide free internet i would have ranked this hotel "Very Good"

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ATTB101
Ian P, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear ATTB101

Thank you very much for the very detailed review you submitted on TripAdvisor. Without guests feedback we are unable to improve our services and facilities.

The hotel currently offers complimentary wifi to all our Marriott elite members and complimentary wifi in the lobby for guests use.
I was very dissapointed to read your comments regarding the cups in your room, I can assure you this is absolutly not in line with the usual high standards this hotel prides itself upon. I have addressed this with our Executive Housekeeper who has taken the nessecary action with her team.
I have addressed your feedback regarding the gym with our engineering team , I do apologize for the inconvenience this caused to you.

I do hope we will have the oppertunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Please do contact my PA on mhrs.londt.pa.to.gm@marriott.com

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We returned to the hotel eight months after our previous visit. On this visit I think we had a standard room, which overlooked the central internal core. It had plenty of light, was quiet and had enough space. I counted about ten drawers in three cabinets, so we bad enough room to unpack our stuff. I appreciate Marriott's extra touches, like the umbrellas in the room - if only I remembered to take it because the weather constantly changes.

I bought flowers and asked the concierge desk if they could have someone from housekeeping put them in a vase and send them up. They arrived moments later. When I asked for champagne glasses, room service appeared with. A champagne bucket and two glasses.

The location is excellent, just off Oxford Street about two blocks from Selfridge's. Bond Street shopping is only a few blocks away, although the Bond Street station has suspended Jubilee Line service until early December 2014, making getting around town tougher than before. That's not the hotel's fault.

The staff is friendly, attentive and listens when you have a request.

We plan on returning.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bryce S
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed with my husband for just one night in early June. Actually paid for 2 nights so that we could check-in very early (10am) as we had just arrived from USA. Check-in was fine but we were placed on a lower floor in a very small room with an interior courtyard "view". No real view actually and we kept the curtains shut the entire time we were there--definitely not my preference! The room was so small you actually had to move the desk chair to open the closet door and there was just enough room to walk around the bed. Very small bathroom with a walk-in shower, no tub (no room!) but the shower worked well and the space was clean. Bed was comfortable but on the one night we stayed, there was a large party downstairs in the bar and they blared loud music until midnight. When we mentioned this at check-out they merely agreed that, "yes, the music was loud"....They might have at least offered an apology.
The Club lounge is in the basement and it felt claustrophobic: no windows, low ceiling. The staff in the lounge were friendly and helpful but I didn't enjoy the atmosphere. We had one breakfast which was fine and stopped for some water in the afternoon but that was about it.
The location is pretty good and we did walk to Westminster Abbey, Hyde Park and Selfridges from the hotel. We moved from this hotel to the London Marriott Hotel County Hall, which I much preferred.
I would have been very disappointed if we had stayed our entire week in London at the Marriott London Grosvenor Square Hotel due to the size of the room and the condition and atmosphere of the Club lounge. My husband is a Marriot Gold member which should have allowed a better room but perhaps they didn't bother since we only stayed one night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cyn C
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This hotel has a lot to offer...great central location, very nice staff and rooms small but clean and very comfy. The front desk checked us in early after a long transatlantic flight. We had a faulty kettle in our room and when it was fixed, there was a nice note along with chocolates and a small bottle of wine left in our room! I would give five stars but this hotel really needs a coffee shop and breakfast area, and the concierge was a little offputting..rather gruff and not overly helpful...usually in a hotel of this quality you expect a concierge who is more engaged and helpful. Would definitely return, though.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cbergland
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in a club room. It is very central for shopping etc. Reception is fine, efficient although i did think the receptionist was straight out of the sitcom "Miranda" with sayings of ".Bear with bear with". The bedroom was fine although for a junior suite it was more of a large bedroom with 2 chairs. Anyway the main gripe is the club room itself. Firstly it is in the basement so no natural light. The furniture is shabby and not at all inviting. It needs cleaning, carpets to be swept more often. There were no wine glasses and I heard one of the staff telephone someone and say " we need more glasses - they are all drinking"! There were no plates for food, no napkins and I could go on. On the first morning there was no room to eat breakfast so we had to go to the Maze restaurant and were charged a fortune fir the privilege. The breakfast itself is fine although lacking in such things as decent bread, fresh tomatoes / vegetables. Overall a very poor club room experience and not value for money.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank JohnR1234
Ian P, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear JohnR1234

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it helps us to continue improving our services and facilities.

I would like to sincerely apologise that your experience in the Club lounge negatively impacted on your stay. I can assure you this is not in line with the usual high standards we pride ourselves on. I have passed on your feedback related to Maze directly to the Senior Management of Gordon Ramsay Holdings.

Thank you for your feedback, this will enable me to implement guest service and guest resolution training for all team members concerned to ensure our usual high level of service and standards are continually maintained.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Hard to beat the location of the Marriott Grosvenor Square with easy access to both shopping and the tube. I've stayed there several years ago and was anxious to come back. As I remembered, the location made it a convenient launching point for our excursions around London and the Hotel offers some very good dining options (and a nice pub across the street)--plus the Luggage Room bar serving authentic cocktails that shouldn't be missed. Ultimately however, this property is let down by a crowded, tourist-class lobby and a gruff, indifferent concierge (unforgivable). Don't want to be too harsh, but we've come to depend on good concierges and generally pick better hotels so we have access to people who do more than tell you how to get to the local pub. Unfortunately, in this case it felt like we were bothering staff with our inquiries. I've been to London dozens of times on business and pleasure so fortunately we didn't have to rely on the limited support and lackluster recommendations we received.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank William W
Ian P, General Manager at London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear William W

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to see that overall you had a good stay with us and enjoy our bar the Luggage room. I was however very surprised to see you had problems with our concierge team which I sincerely apologise for. I would value any specific feedback you have so I can personally investigate. Please do email my PA on mhrs.londt.pa.to.gm@marriotthotels.com.

I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Ian

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Staff was very helpful and this is a very nice hotel for the money. Rooms not overly spacious, but they are very clean and well-equipped. Great location just north of Grosvenor Square and there are two excellent restaurants (one steak/sushi, one gourmet) inside the hotel. Also a very cool bar called Luggage Room just off the main entrance.

Room Tip: some of the rooms on the 6th floor (top floor) have a bit of extra noise given the A/C unit on the r...