“Nice for afternoon tea”
Review of The Leonard Hotel

The Leonard Hotel
Ranked #298 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife booked this for afternoon tea with our daughter, with whom she spent the morning shopping in Oxford Street.
She booked the Champagne tea via a voucher scheme and was pleased with the result.
The food was good with a fair choice. The staff were friendly and helpful.
All round a very nice experience, the only minus was, as mentioned in other reviews, that the place was a bit tired and could do with a bit of a face lift.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank firemanjohn

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Actually, I'm not the visitor but I'm a travel agent who booked this hotel for one of my top VIP customers who are a family of 3 ladies. The feedback I got from my customers upon arriving at the hotel was extremely favorable. The location from Oxford street is excellent and the room they stayed in (one bedroom apartment suite) was very spacious and comfortable.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom apartment suite is the ideal choice for family stays
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Adel T
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We had a royal afternoon tea at the Leonard using a Wowcher on Sunday 18th August 2013. This is a litlte gem , tucked away just behind Marble Arch tube station. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The tea itself was really lovely and plentiful. A good selection of sandwiches, plenty of petit fours, and a deliciuos scone with clotted cream amnd fresh strawberries. One of the best afternoon teas we have had . Very filling and very delicious !! If wowcher or travelzoo do anothe offer, we will definelty do this again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PeterLLondon
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Poor condition for the whole building not just only for the broken wall paper, fade-out painting decoration and the nearly broken folding bed and sofa, but also for the hotel main entrance and lobby. Absolutely this hotel needs a thorough refurbishment as soon as possible ! The housekeeping is poor as you can find very dusty furniture and decoration elsewhere. The convenient location and the quite atmosphere may be the only two things that I felt happy. The service is not so sincere and efficient at all. As a conclusion, it is not value for what you paid !

Room Tip: No free wifi and no lift for rooms on the 5th floor !
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank HoTy2013
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We went to the Leonard Hotel for an afternoon tea - as we managed to get some vouchers. The service was really nice and friendly. The atmosphere is really cosy and intimate.
We had a traditional afternoon tea: the quantities were good, and the sweets were nicely prepared.
The only minus was maybe the filling of some sandwiches that a bit "thin" to my eyes.
A good experience overall, will recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LauriSlno
Reviewed 21 July 2013

First time to London & stayed here for 3 nights. On our second day while we were out sight seeing money was stolen from our room.
Whoever it was helped themselves to $300 out of our travel wallet that was in the safe. The staff were not very helpful & police couldn't do anything about it, very disappointing start to our holiday.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I stay in London on business fairly regularly and my hotels are usually selected for me by a travel management company used by my client. On a Monday night in July, the usual hotels that I stay in were full and the Leonard Hotel was selected for me because it was close to my meeting venue and it had a single room available, albeit at a fairly high rate.

Having read the Tripadvisor reviews of the single rooms in the hotel, I was fearing a very small and poor quality room.

On arrival I was sceptical. My view did not change when I was told that wifi access was only available at a charge. I was allocated room 20 on the second floor. Arriving on the second floor I did not initially like the position of the room, which was right next to the lift, which in my experience usually means a noisy and disturbed night.

The room was small, and the decoration was tired - especially in the minute en suite shower room which had flaking paint on the walls.

However, there the negative points end. Had I not been staying at the hotel on business I might have been more bothered about the small slightly shabby room. But as it turned out, my stay was pretty good. The biggest plus point of the room was that it had a very good air conditioning cassette which cooled the room well on a hot evening, and I had no rooms adjoining mine. The location of the hotel is excellent - I enjoyed jogging in nearby Hyde Park early evening and again the following morning. The room at the back of the hotel was quiet and I was not at all bothered by the lift outside my door - it was quiet and I did not really hear it. As a consequence, I had a good un-disturbed sleep.

At this point I might have given the hotel an average "3" mark. In the morning, the breakfast was excellent and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. I dislike buffet style breakfasts so it made a welcome change to have a freshly cooked breakfast with good quality ingredients served at my table, with fresh orange juice and good coffee. So overall I give the Leonard Hotel a "4" based on my comfortable one night stay on a hot busy Monday night in July.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business