“Resting on its laurels....?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Park - A Roseate House Hotel

The Royal Park - A Roseate House Hotel
Ranked #108 of 1,089 Hotels in London
California
“Resting on its laurels....?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

Just returned from my third stay at the Royal Park Hotel and I have got to wonder if there's been a change of hands in the property management or if the hotel is just resting on its (previously) well-earned laurels. I've been a repeat customer of this establishment for all the reasons described in the 400+ reviews on Tripadvisor. It's an intimate hotel with charming interiors and spotless presentation; excellent staff and service (for the most part); great location near Paddington and Hyde Park; and reasonable rates for an exorbitantly priced city. So I was looking forward to my short stay in London last week. Sadly, the experience fell far short of my earlier visits.

Check-in as usual was brisk and went without a glitch. The front desk and staff were, as always, courteous, helpful and warm, from the bellhop to the lady who brought me coffee. Room was, from first appearances, pristine and well kept. All, in other words, was as it was -- and as it should be.

Early next morning, however, I woke to the sound of running water -- as if a tap had been turned on full blast. I went into the bathroom to discover a sizable leak had sprung above the shower; closer inspection revealed the ceiling was swollen and deteriorating due to condensation. When I reported the leak downstairs, the gentleman at the front desk was solicitous and offered to have me change rooms. None were ready at the moment, however, so he suggested that I pack my luggage to be moved subsequently. I asked if there was any way to be compensated for the inconvenience of having to repack and move (it should go without saying that a room change would be obligatory, especially since maintenance was not available that day). In particular I requested that I might be comped for breakfast. He replied that this was not possible since the rate was already locked in the "system." I thought this was a slightly odd response but didn't feel like pressing it. (Note: I hate complaining about service in any situation and felt I had already used up my "diva" chips.)

Later that afternoon my bags were moved and I ended up in an identical room upstairs, which was fine. The next morning, though, proved even more inconvenient than the first. I had requested breakfast service at 8:30-8:45 with the intention of leaving for Heathrow around 9:30. When breakfast did not show up by 8:50, I called room service to check on its status. The rather harried person who answered said it would be up very shortly. A few minutes before 9, with no breakfast, I called again. This, time, though, the same person effectively barked at me "I KNOW..IT'S COMING." He then admitted there was a problem in the kitchen and apologized. I was, to say the least, taken back by this extremely brusque (and completely unacceptable) response.

And then: When the breakfast finally DID arrive a few minutes later, the food was undercooked and inedible. At this point I had no choice to call the front desk to complain. A gentleman (I think his name is Thomas) was very helpful on the phone. He said he would have a word with the manager who would be back in touch shortly.

A couple minutes later Laurent (the manager) rang, politely listened to my concerns, and was exceptionally gracious in taking responsibility for this litany of missteps. He told me that there would be some compensation when I checked out that morning, not the least of which was I would not be charged for breakfast. Sure enough, check-out a half hour later was seamless and I was appropriately compensated for these various problems. Were it not for his intervention and the help of the other front desk person (Thomas?) the stay would have been a complete wash.

For this reason, Royal Park Hotel earns a rating between "Poor" and "average" elevated by the deft handling of Laurent and his colleague at the front desk. My sincere hope is that this was just a series of unpleasant coincidences (that all happened to be visited on one traveler); and that issues around both the physical plant (a crumbling ceiling above the shower) and room service are shortly addressed. I really would like to return to this establishment as one of the two hotels I use regularly in London but management needs a record of this rather surprising dip in performance.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank itinerantCalifornia
Laurent B, General Manager at The Royal Park - A Roseate House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip advisor.
Once again, please accept my deepest apologies for the poor level of service you received upon your last stay with us at the Royal Park.
Rest assured that the issues you commented on have been addressed and that it is now a priority for us to improve on these point and to win your confidence back.

As discussed on the phone before you departed the hotel, please contact me directly when you next chose to stay with us as I would like to personally handle your reservation.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Park Hotel.

Kindest regards,

Laurent Boutonne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

This converted terrace hotel is very conveniently located to Paddington station. It was cosy and our room had a sitting area and was very large for London standards. The furnishings were beautiful in an older English style and we even had a four poster high bed.
Staff were attentive and polite.
We would definitely come back to this hotel.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Laurent B, General Manager at The Royal Park - A Roseate House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Thank you very much for your lovely comments,
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Park soon,

Kind regards,

lboutonne@theroyalpark.com
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012 via mobile

Sleep is my most basic requirement, and this is not an option at this hotel. It sounds like a herd of cattle above us, which started late last night, and returned at 5:45 this morning. Our "executive king" room is the size of my closet, and our luggage doesn't even fit comfortably, much less us being able to move around. We have been traveling for two weeks, and this hotel is the absolute worst.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir, Madam,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for taking the time to review The Royal Park Hotel on Trip Advisor.

It is a great help for me who has recently started working here at the Royal Park.

I would like to express my deepest apologies for us not to reach your expectations during your recent stay with us.

I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly and give me more information about your stay, such as where was your room located in the hotel, was no alternative offered by the reception team, etc.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Warm regards,

lboutonne@theroyalpark.com
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Lovely little hotel close to Paddington station (which makes getting to Heathrow a breeze) and convenient to tube stations. However, not quite a 5 star. The floors are old and made of wood so if you are unfortunate to have an upstairs neighbor who walks around a lot, forget trying to get a good night's sleep. The family above us must have been training for the Olympics in their room.... Also, the standard room is very small. If you have two open suitcases on the floor, it is impossible to walk around the room. Also odd, the hair dryer plug is over the desk, but there is no mirror. Staff is great, small lounge area near front desk is pleasant. Overall a good hotel, but not 5 star.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
del mar, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

I really didn't know how to rate this hotel. I would never return because it was impossible to sleep because of the clomping heels up above us. But the rooms were very nice and roomy. But our room was on the basement floor and we could hear loud foot traffic on a hard floor until about 2am and then again starting at around 5am. It was impossible to sleep while this was going on.

Otherwise, the location was very good and the room was extremely nice. My only other complaint was that there was no electrical outlet for a blow dryer near a mirror. The only mirror was in the bathroom and the only outlet in the bathroom was specifically only fopr a shaver. Pretty weird, I thought.

Room Tip: top floor would be safe, I think.
Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

After reading many reviews, picked this hotel for it’s closeness to Paddington Station. Arrived early, our room was ready, staff was very friendly and accommodating. Perfect tucked in quiet location in the hustle bustle of London, had deluxe room that was spacious with big bathroom on lower level where there was an outside garden to enjoy the good weather and a glass of wine. No coffee/teas in room, but room service was reasonable priced, delivered very quickly.
Couple block walk to Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, which are beautiful and all the pubs and restaurants you could want. Prior to our arrival the staff had per our request made arrangements for travel to sites that we wanted to see and for our transportation back to Heathrow airport, this was done quickly and via emails that were answered immediately.
So glad we picked this hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

This was our second visit to this hotel as we liked it so much the first time and we were not disappointed.
This is a beatiful hotel with lovely decor in the rooms. We had a deluxe room (room 307) which was a nice size overlooking a mews so it was very quiet.
The staff are friendly and helpful and we were offered a complimentary tea or coffee in the lounge on arrival which was appreciated after our flight from Italy.
The hotel is within walking distance of Paddington station and the Heathrow express and has many restaurants in the vicinity.
The hotel is faultless appart from the cost of the continetal breakfast for what you get. We went to the cafes around the corner where you can get an orange juice 2 pieces of toast full English breakfast and a mug of tea for about 6 pounds

Room Tip: rooms on third floor or above overlooking the mews are quiet and you can wacth what goes on in the m...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple