“Small and friendly, at a great location”

The Royal Park - A Roseate House Hotel
Ranked #92 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Los Angeles, California
“Small and friendly, at a great location”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The Royal Park Hotel is ideally situated near Paddington Station, ideal for those who are on a short visit to London and who want to be able to get to Heathrow on the Heathrow express, which leaves from Paddington. It is a 2 block walk from the station to the hotel.
The hotel itself is small and the staff are very friendly. The small sitting room (the "Blue Room") has an honesty bar, where you can pour yourself a drink and note what you took on a list provided. It is also a popular place for afternoon tea.
The food served in the dining room is very good. The chef makes a wonderful omelet.
The wifi works all right, once you input the username and password. The downside is you need a separate username and password for each device you are using; and every time you use the internet you have to log in again. Other than this minor annoyance, the hotel is excellent. I will definitely stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Room 601 is on the ground floor, close to everything. While convenient, it is somewhat noisy. I wo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manhattan Beach, CA
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a very different review since I did not stay at this hotel overnite. When we drove to the Royal Park Hotel in our Hertz car were were greeted by the very friendly doorman who unloaded all of our luggage and carried it into the hotel BUT when we tried to check-in we were informed that plumbing problems developed in our room so they had arranged for a transfer to their "sister hotel" (The Cranley) a 10 minute cab ride in Kennsington. This was the same situation described by another Trip Advisor reviewer, AlbuquerquePilgrim during April 2014. The Front of the House Manager, Mark Battle, appeared at the desk and apologized for the problem and arranged for a taxi to transport us to and from the Cranley, and instructed the staff to call The Cranley and schedule us for an upgraded room (we seriously doubt that the ground level room we were booked in at The Cranley, which was half the size of the room we had booked at the Royal Park, was actually an upgrade). The next morning we were invited back to the Royal Park Hotel for a delicious full breakfast which was complementary. Our expensive parking fee, since our car remained at the Royal Park, was also complementary. All in all, for an unforseen event, the manager at the Royal Park made the best of a bad situation and provided exceptional customer service BUT it is noteworthy that another reviewer had the exact same experience at the Royal Park just one week before (did they overbook? I do not want to be a cynical but...). I checked out what would have been the room we had booked at the Royal Park. It was spacious, had a very nice view, the bathroom was big, and there was plenty of space for two people to move around in the room. Although costly, it is London and everything is expensive. The appointments in the room were attractive and the everything in the room looked new and fresh. The room was exceptionally clean. We will definitely stay at the Royal Park during our next visit to London and look forward to dealing with Mark Battle, the Front of House Manager in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BobWE
Toronto
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Wonderfully located near Kensington Park and Paddington Station (Heathrow Express) in a line of fine townhouses slightly off the street, the Royal Park was a pricy (it's London) but very convenient stay for the one night. Room was large, furnished with lovely antiques, and the bed was a dream. Bathroom just fine. We ate their continental breakfast which was more than adequate. Front desk friendly and helpful.

Glitch #1 (minor): confirming email offered a free "welcoming drink" and champagne/canapes in the "blue room" between 7 and 8. No welcoming drink but we were in a hurry to get out and about. But when we went downstairs to the blue room there was another couple waiting, but no champagne/canapes in sight. Employee who walked by knew nothing about it but when we four insisted, she went scurrying to front desk where manager did what he had to do: once he understood the error in their email (offer stopped in January it seems even though our emails were both mailed afterwards) he arranged for glasses of bubbly and some smoked salmon to be delivered to us four.

Glitch #2 (major): in bathroom sink scalding hot water came from the cold water tap; similar from the hot water. After 3-4 minutes of running, it cooled down and we could use it. Never saw both taps supply such hot water! Tub was the same- eventually we got cooler (usable) water even though minor changes led to brief cold snaps. We reported this in the morning and the manager, who seemed most surprised, said he would look into it but by the morning the situation had somehow resolved and cold, clear water flowed nicely and immediately from the cold tap so we don't know what he would find at that time.

Still, assuming water problem is resolved, then the Royal Park was a fine choice for a stay near the great parks of Kensington and Hyde and Paddington Station.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Canadian67
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Royal Park is a lovely boutique hotel which I chose for its proximity to Paddington Rail Station. On my recent visit to Cornwall I planned to spend my first and last night there in London. It is easy to see how The Royal Park receives good reviews under normal circumstances. But to me the measure of a hotel is how guests are treated when things go awry. On the afternoon of my arrival, Mark, the Front of House Manager, informed me of difficulties with the plumbing in the area of the hotel in which I was to stay. He had already booked me an upgraded room at a sister hotel a fair distance away and had called for a taxi to take me there. Mark did not abandon me, but stayed and chatted while I waited for the taxi. The next morning, a taxi came to take me back to Paddington Station for my train to Cornwall. The differential for the upgraded room as well as both taxi rides were paid for by The Royal Park. On the final leg of my visit to England, the plumbing difficulties had been sorted out, and The Royal Park provided me with a beautifully appointed and comfortable room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely small hotel in quiet location. Five minute walk to Paddington Station and Hyde Park. Behind the Station find the delightful "Little Venice" canals. Quiet area convenient to all transportation and lots of restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014
Angelo C, General Manager at The Royal Park - A Roseate House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I understand that the location of a hotel will play a big role in the overall enjoyment of a trip so I am happy our hotel suited your needs. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best!

Warm regards,

Temple, Texas
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We loved this hotel! We were treated like royalty, and our suite with a terrace was "to die for"--beautifully furnished with period antiques. I still covet the lamp in our parlor! The staff was outstanding and ever so accommodating! Coffee ordered to our suite was delivered exactly on time. The bed was excellent, and the heated towel bars were a real treat. We will recommend this hotel to our friends, and we hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chiefqueen
Dear Guest,

What an incredible review! We pride ourselves on offering that personal service that befits our traditionally British style. We hope to see you again, please spread the word!

Best regards,

NYC
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Lovely boutique hotel. Charming and very clean room. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Complimentary internet in room and throughout hotel. Close to Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park . Stayed for four nights on a business trip. A quick five minute walk to Paddington Station which is convenient. Peaceful and quiet. They provide complimentary cookies and water at night. The continental breakfast (buffet style) is more than adequate and served in a charming breakfast room (or sent via room service). I arrived early after an overnight flight and much to my delight I was in my room within 30 minutes which I really appreciated. I'll definitely stay here next time I'm in London on business.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room with a view and early check in
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review. I am happy to hear your approving thoughts on our unique boutique property. We want expectations to be met on arrival so we will always try our best to accommodate guests that arrive early. We look to welcoming you back so please contact me directly on your next visit.

Warm regards,