“great location”

Pembridge Palace Hotel
Ranked #947 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The pros: the hotel is very well situated, for the price we paid I don't think we could have done better. kensington, notting hill, portobello are a 15 min walk away. bayswater and queensway underground station are very close: 5 min walk. there is a tesco, sainsbury's, mc' donalds and many small shops, souvenir shops, a couple of bars and restaurants nearby (max 5 min walk).
they have a good breakfast but it is a bit crowded so it is better to arrive early. you can also make reservations for breakfast depending at which hour you wake up(I know it may sound strange but the breakfast room is really small so this way you're sure to find a seat)
the cons: the rooms are in desperate need of renovation and could be cleaner. doors, windows, the noisy elevator seem a bit ancient.
I can't say anything against the staff because they were pretty decent when we requested to change our basement room for another on an upper floor.
In the end if great location is what you're looking for and you're on a budget(like us) this is a good place. if you're looking for comfortable, spotless rooms.. you'd better search elsewhere.

Room Tip: rooms on upper floors are warmer - winter tip:)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 February 2014

From walking through the door into reception we was welcomed by the staff, The staff were very polite and friendly. The hotel looked very clean and the staff helped us with local places to visit for the night life and helped with taxi charges. The room was nice the sheets were all clean and the bathroom was very clean also.

The bed was very comfy and I only had to make a phone call to ask for a second pillow and it was at the room with in a few minutes.

Coming back to the hotel quite late at night the staff were still very polite and welcoming asked if we have everything we need and asked if we had nice night. I had a very good nights sleep and it was a lovely continental breakfast in the morning.

After leaving the hotel I realised I left something in the room so I phoned up the hotel and they are now sending it to me via post. I got what I expected accommodation but I was pleasantly surprised with the 5* service excellent location easy walking distance to tube station and shops, the staff were fantastic.

Lovely hotel I would happily go again.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the lower rooms and I requested 3 single beds when booking.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a family weekend to celebrate my birthday. Unfortunately my mother died and we could not go. None the less the hotel refused to give us another date or refund. Yet everyone else from easy jet to London theaters and last minute all did so. No humanity or compassion. Don't they understand how important customer satisfaction is or do they just not care???

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank MoggyGla
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Went to this hotel to stay for new years eve in London.
I paid over 100 pounds a night.
The room was cramped and old, with really bad sound isolation. Could hear the neighbours across the hall chatting.
The air was so dry at night I got a sore throat and started coughing.
Bathroom was ok, bad flushing and the side of the tub was finished with a plywood slab painted black. Warm water though.
The breakfast included is not worth consideration if you ask me and the dining area is really small and cramped.
Ok if you pay under 50 a night. Some of the staff are helpful, other seems uninterrested.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

This was absolutely the worst hotel we ever had the misfortune of staying in. Tiny room; incredibly noisy; filthy; drunks roaming the halls at all hours of the night. Free breakfast was like a cattle call with low quality: food, coffee, orange juice. Surly non-english speaking staff. Guest in room above us spent the night moving furniture around - no help from staff! We were moved to another room on our second night at 2 am - this new room had no running water! This was the last straw so we left the next morning. Unfortunately, the hotel would not give us a refund.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jarcidia
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Got this room for £34 for one night, so it was worth the money, but would not pay any more. Room is adequate, everything works and looked clean, but was very small and quite noisy. There is a hairdryer. Breakfast was alright, no hot food (but none advertised) and the rest was adequate. Close to tube (Bayswater) so was very handy.
Not sure I'd hurry back, but it was nice for what we wanted.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a room near a lift.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2014

This hotel has had some bad write-ups in the past but considering the price and location, three meows would seem appropriate, i.e. Average.
Booked and paid for a double room £41 with Lastminute.com a couple of months in advance.
On checking in, the reception asked for my credit card to take £20 off it and said it would be returned the next day when I checked out. I complied with this request but always feel uncomfortable in case the money is not returned. Next morning on checkout, the reception said that the money would be automatically returned. Not seen anything show up on my credit card balance yet, but will let you know here if any money is not returned.
The hotel is a little strange with corridors and stairways going off in all directions. The room was also most unorthodox with a single bed and bathroom near the doorway and then a full flight of stairs down to a double bed, wardrobe, desk/drawers. A small TV, hairdryer and coffee / tea making facilities were provided. An electric oil filled heater was also provided to back up the central heating radiator below the extremely large bay window overlooking the front of the hotel. Not too noisy but the bathroom fan rumbled away all night despite turning off the bathroom lights etc. Couldn't spot any other means of turning it off.
The room and bed sheets were clean but the blanket had a large stain on it. It was necessary to pull the bed away from the wall to plug in the bedside lights to the power points. At which point, what looked like a baited mouse box was seen under the bed. So I spent most of the night awake in the hope of spotting a friend to play with!
Breakfast was not too bad, and certainly falls into the continental breakfast category, (included: scrambled egg, cheese, sliced tomato, toast, very fresh bread, orange juice, tea and strange tasting coffee.)
The breakfast room was quite busy at 8 o'clock in the morning, but a good number of tables were still free.
Like previous reviews stated, the hotel needs to be gutted and modernised, but then the room rate would be more than triple what we paid.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple